Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #291
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The answer to 1 is a resounding yes. And I love chocolate mousse so it's hard not to stick my face right in it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #292
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
The answer to 1 is a resounding yes. And I love chocolate mousse so it's hard not to stick my face right in it!
ha! well i'm fermenting in a carboy so i won't have a chance to face-plant myself in it. by the time i have direct access to the mousse it'll be mixed in with the trub since it'll be after bottling.

anything i should keep in mind when racking to secondary with this layer of choco-fluff? should i try to leave it behind, or do i want to suck it up? my gut feeling is to try avoiding it without worrying too much.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #293
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour View Post
I just made it this last weekend, and I put half the batch on Wyeast 1728, the other half with S04. Curious how the two will differ, if much at all. I'd wager with such strong flavors, the yeast won't play a major role.
i wouldn't take that wager, 'cause you're almost certainly right.

any updates?

Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #294
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

About to fire up the kettle.

Plan to add the coffee at right at flame out, and the nibs at around 5 minutes so as to not boil them to long. Chill it down and rack it all to primary.

Secondary will have chips from a Woodford Reserve barrel( and soaked in more WR), and then whole bean coffee, and perhaps some more nibs if the chocolate feels lost.

Can't wait!

I'm just hoping the coffee addition early is right.. Some add it at flame out, some boil it. Some leave it in primary, some bag it and remove before primary. Some steep it and add later.. Whole lot of different ways.

I like coffee, so I'm planning on doing it right at flame out so it's not boiling for too long, and will be added right before I start the chiller. Leaving it in the primary shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #295
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone use the Franco Belgo coffee malt in this instead of coffee?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #296
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Man this mash smells amazing....

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #297
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Finished it up a few hours ago, and it's in the fermentation freezer now.

Wort smelled great, tasted decent too, really roasted and had that coffee bite. Ended up roughly 1.075 OG, I made a 5.5 gal batch, as I wanted a bit more, and didn't quite care about the ABV on it as much.

Strained the whole shootin' match after I cooled it, it was just slap full of crap, coffee, nibs, hobs, trub..

Added the chocolate at 5 minutes, both the powder and nibs. By the time it was mixed in well, it was time to turn off the flame. Added the last .5oz of hops, and the coffee then, and started cooling it down.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #298
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

racked my batch to secondary on friday, after almost 5 weeks in primary. LOTS of gunk got stuck in the hops bag i used as a filter on my racking cane. ended up ditching the bag and racked the last third unfiltered.

FG was a mildly disappointing 1.027. part it of may be due to how much crap i have in suspension in the liquid. not sure if i'm going to leave it there, or call in the big guns (AKA wlp099). thoughts?

on the upside, with the amount of flavors in there, bitterness from the coffee, etc i think it could easily stand to be a little sweeter. sample was good, but it was so late, i was several brews in and i was so tired that i don't clearly remember it. i'll taste again a few days after i add the cold-pressed coffee and make a call then.

could also have been the yeast. i used a pack and a half on this batch, and the other half a pack on a SMaSH, and the smash also didn't attenuate quite as low as i would have liked. i pitched per the amounts recommended by mr malty, i rehydrated, fermentation looked good... maybe i just got some lazy bugs. oh well

EDIT: just had a look at DD's original post, and i see that he went 1.086 --> 1.023. that makes me feel a lot better about my 1.081 --> 1.027. hopville was estimating 1.021, but that seems a tad low to me given the ingredients.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #299
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just finished brewing, ended up at 1.083. Still haven't dialed my MM2, only got 68% efficiency. Anyway, sample tasted great. Used 2.5 oz of Hershey bittersweet chocolate, 1.5 oz nibs and 2 oz of Folgers Black Silk coffee. I have the Kona to use at secondary, think I'm skipping the bourbon this time around. I'll post back in a month to report my FG, hoping for around 1.020 with 2 packs of S05.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #300
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Mines been in the primary for a week I think now.. Has already dropped the krausen, and it's slightly bubbling away, not really going wild, and has been kept at around 64/66 consisently.

Anyone have an suggestions on chips and bourbon?

I have around 2 or 2.5oz of chips from a bourbon barrel, that have been soaking in bourbon for 2 weeks now. I think I have around 4oz of bourbon in there. Dump it all? Add more? Less?

I'm gonna taste it regularly to see how it's coming along, but wanted to see what others have done.

Quick Reply