Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman View Post
How would maris otter look in this recipe? It is used in a lot of RIS's.
No clue... Just used it in a pale ale, though. Probably can't hurt... Would love to know about it when you experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman View Post
Also for the OP, Founder's website boasts 60IBUs not 30, what's your rationale? Also what are your pre and post boil volumes?
The original BYO recipe said around 60, then I checked Founder's site which said 30-ish... It has been posted somewhere around here that Founders recently changed their site to 60. So... I originally went with 30 and I'm not going to change back because I think it's delicious.

Also, some of the unsweetened chocolate and boiled coffee probably ups the perceived bitterness a bit, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHood1 View Post
Just Curious. If you're not adding anything to the secondary fermenter on this one, why do you bother racking to a secondary at all??
I just racked to 2ndary and I had about 4 inches of chocolate sediment. Some of that got racked along with the beer, so I am thinking in 3 weeks when I bottle, there's that much less choco-gunk to try to rack off of. I do know that clearing a jet black beer is not necessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #22
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just racked this to secondary yesterday. Started at 1.096 and took a reading and I'm at 1.027. That's a tad over 9abv right now and I was getting some bubbles this morning. I tasted the sample and it was awesome. Can't wait for this one to finish.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #23
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe Founder's up'ed the IBUs to 60 to for balance reasons. The BU:GU ratio with your recipe it about 0.33, while if I bump the IBUs to around 60 in my brewing software the BU:GU is about 0.66. I think I may use 1oz of Nugget instead of 0.5oz and see how that works out. Also, I think I'll try maris otter too. Buying the ingredients today. Let you all know how it turns out!

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled this on Sunday. I added two oz. of Starbucks Cafe Verona - Dark Cocoa Roasty Sweet and 2 oz. of Starbucks Columbia - Balanced Nutty coffee both cold pressed. I also added two Vanilla beans steeped in Captain Morgans spiced rum. I ended up at about 9.6 abv and the hydro sample was pretty tasty. Now for the long wait. I never really manage to keep my batches around for a few months before they are gone so I'm hoping I can age most of this for at least 6 months without any oxidation issues.Wish me luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #25
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Brewing a version of this tomorrow. Using Magnum and Hallertau because I have plenty in stock. Got some Gihardelli (sp?) chocolate to add to the boil. Also got a mix of French vanilla and dark french roast coffe to add to the boil. I am then going to add some Mayan Black roast whole beans soaked in Captain Morgan Private Stock to the secondary. Should be a great beer!

Gonna try to jack this one up to 10.5%.

Last edited by MachineShopBrewing; 12-06-2009 at 05:17 AM.
banjo-guy Likes This 
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Brewing a version of this tomorrow. Using Magnum and Hallertau because I have plenty in stock. Got some Gihardelli (sp?) chocolate to add to the boil. Also got a mix of French vanilla and dark french roast coffe to add to the boil. I am then going to add some Mayan Black roast whole beans soaked in Captain Morgan Private Stock to the secondary. Should be a great beer!

Gonna try to jack this one up to 10.5%.
Just 2 words of caution... The 8.3% is a good number. I'd worry about it being "hot" at 10%. In the future, I actually want to back it down to the 6.5%-7% range. When I did the vanilla latte version it was about 7%.

And what kind of Gihardelli? I'd worry about the oils if it's normal candy... Chocolate in beer should have as little oil as possible, ie: cocoa powder or baking bars.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. It does sound delicious!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
PuNk
Recipes 

Has anyone made an extract conversion for this beer? I am new to homebrewing and would like to make an extract version of this beer. It is one of my favorites.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #28
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

BYO did the original recipe that DubbelDach tweaked, which has an extract version.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post

And what kind of Gihardelli? I'd worry about the oils if it's normal candy... Chocolate in beer should have as little oil as possible, ie: cocoa powder or baking bars.
I used Gihardelli in mine. It was in the baking section of the grocery store so I assumed it was fine.I have another week before it will be three weeks in the bottle and I'll report back after I've sampled it.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #30
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Just 2 words of caution... The 8.3% is a good number. I'd worry about it being "hot" at 10%. In the future, I actually want to back it down to the 6.5%-7% range. When I did the vanilla latte version it was about 7%.

And what kind of Gihardelli?
I am gonna age this one until the flavor mellows out a little. I have had a few really good oatmeal stouts around 10% and I liked them. I like the added sweetness with this beer so we will see how it goes. That is the beauty of homebrewing!

The chocolate that I am using is the 60% Cacao and 100% cacao.

Kicking off the brewday in a few minutes. Will let you know how the day goes! I have some new equipment that I am still dialing in, so I plugged it into beersmith at 55%. I noticed that my LHBS grain mill's crush sucks so I ran the grain through twice this time and tightened it up, so I am not going to be suprised if I get closer to 70-75% which would give me closer to 10%.

Last edited by MachineShopBrewing; 12-06-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply