Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #281
Celt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Trying this one next weekend. changed it a bit kinda like others I have seen.
adding 2 oz oak cubes soaked in about 1/2 an airplane bottle of makers mark, 1 split vanilla bean in to the secondary for 30 days and adding .5 lbs of lactose to boil.

Looking for a KBS / Dragons milk kinda brew.... what do ya think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #282
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yay! Brewed this yesterday, and it's fermenting like a SOB.

I neglected the nibs, so went with an entire 4 oz bar of ghiradhelis 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, and 1.75 oz of chocolate velvet coffee at knockout.

The sample was really chocolaty. Not too much coffee. My Og was 1.084. I plan on bottling in about November.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #283
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Yay! Brewed this yesterday, and it's fermenting like a SOB.

I neglected the nibs, so went with an entire 4 oz bar of ghiradhelis 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, and 1.75 oz of chocolate velvet coffee at knockout.

The sample was really chocolaty. Not too much coffee. My Og was 1.084. I plan on bottling in about November.
You are bottling in November or unveiling in November?

How long is your primary and secondary respectively?

You can do a 3 primary and a 4 week secondary and then age from then on. But if you are bottling in November then your primary much be quite... extensive.

In any case happy brewing to ya and hope it works out.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #284
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In case anyone cares the new Jim Beam Devils Cut has a big oak finish too it. I may just use this without the oak chips/cubes.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #285
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 267

hi folks,

i took inspiration from Dubbel Dachs' original recipe and will be brewing this bad boy on saturday: http://hopville.com/recipe/1362602/a...hampions-stout

thoughts & feedback always welcome. i wanted a slightly lighter version, ABV-wise, so i trimmed back all the grains. looking back now, i should have pulled down the dark malts a bit more... this one might be intense on the roast barley/choc malt/black patent flavors. or not. time will tell.

my recipe uses a pound of belgian pilsner only because i have it sitting around and it needed to be used, so i sub'ed it in for a pound of 2-row. and i'm using some DME to limit how much base grain i have to hoist around in my bag.

wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
has the debate been settled on whether the IBUs are all from hops, or whether some of the IBUs come from the coffee and other ingredients? folks that brewed with 60-70 IBUs from hops, did it taste about right?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #286
lemmiwinks_ahp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
hi folks,

i took inspiration from Dubbel Dachs' original recipe and will be brewing this bad boy on saturday: http://hopville.com/recipe/1362602/a...hampions-stout

thoughts & feedback always welcome. i wanted a slightly lighter version, ABV-wise, so i trimmed back all the grains. looking back now, i should have pulled down the dark malts a bit more... this one might be intense on the roast barley/choc malt/black patent flavors. or not. time will tell.

my recipe uses a pound of belgian pilsner only because i have it sitting around and it needed to be used, so i sub'ed it in for a pound of 2-row. and i'm using some DME to limit how much base grain i have to hoist around in my bag.

wish me luck!

has the debate been settled on whether the IBUs are all from hops, or whether some of the IBUs come from the coffee and other ingredients? folks that brewed with 60-70 IBUs from hops, did it taste about right?
I brewed mine with about ~80 IBUs from hops + whatever you got from the chocolate bars & coffee. Mine also ended up at 9.8% ABV. For as big as this beer is, the hops balance everything out nicely so it's not too sweet.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #287
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
hi folks,

wish me luck!

Recipe looks like it would produce a complex set of flavors, I would go for it!

Please keep us posted, I am really curious about this one.

Happy brewing.-

Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #288
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
Recipe looks like it would produce a complex set of flavors, I would go for it!

Please keep us posted, I am really curious about this one.

Happy brewing.-
hey, thanks! as if the flavors weren't complex enough already: i was shopping this evening for last-minute supplies and came across some relatively cheap vanilla beans. 2 of them are currently soaking in bourbon, i'll keep them there for a few weeks and pitch the lot into secondary along with the cold-pressed coffee. this beer could end up being the best thing i've ever brewed, or it could end up being a complete train wreck. can't wait to find out! (unfortunately "wait" is the operative word here... i suspect this batch will take many months to mellow out & hit its prime).

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #289
ampsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Damn it! I decided to use this brew to try out my new copper manifold I had made.
Hit all my temps on the nose, collect my wort and my pre-boil gravity is 1.044 instead of the estimated 1.067 (based on 72% eff).
I am freaked out and a little depressed at this point.
I did some calculations and threw in some DME to make up for it and ended up with a final gravity of 1.093 instead of the estimated 1.086.
Guess I added to much.
Oh well, see how it turns out.
Now the bigger issue is where the hell I went wrong with my manifold, I assume it must be that as its the only thing I have changed and was consistently hitting 70-75% previously.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #290
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

here is my update on my brew, as copy'n'pasted from my hopville recipe page:

Quote:
Based on "Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone", by Dubbel Dachs. Belgian Pilsner added only because I had an extra pound sitting around that needed to be used, anyone attempting this recipe should skip ii favor of using only 2-row (i.e. use a pound more). Sole purpose of the DME is to limit how much grain I have to hoist in my bag (I use BIAB), you should feel free to go with all-grain. I've got Sumatra for the flame-out addition, per the recipe; but will be using Whole Food's Rainforest blend for the cold-steeped secondary addition, which is described as "Sweet aromas of cocoa and toasted almonds balanced with a mild citrus sparkle and a long caramel finish". Sounded like a nice stand-in for Kona. UPDATE1: brewed on 5/26. Took a lot longer than expected, mostly because I got the end of my mash and realized that I didn't add the oats. So while everything else started the boil, I made a min-mash on the side, in another pot, with grains stolen from future recipes. This required re-calculating the use of DME... one big mess. But all is well that ends well: less than 12 hours later, I had a happily bubbling carboy of proto-beer.
i will be transferring to secondary this weekend, just short of 5 weeks in primary. will bulk age for another month or two then bottle. i haven't taken a gravity reading yet so i'm anxious to find out what my FG is.

i have two questions you folks who have experience with this recipe:

1) has anyone else ended up with a chocolate-colored foamy layer floating on top of the beer, well after fermentation has ended? it looks like a cross between krausen and chocolate mousse. i lightly shook the carboy once to rouse the yeast and the foam broke apart into chunks but eventually reformed into a semi-solid layer on top. i'm traveling at the moment, i'll post a pic when i next return home.

2) what has been the concensus on the use of vanilla beans? i have two average-quality beans that have been soaking in bourbon for 5 weeks. i'm wondering if i should pitch half or all (i.e. use 1 or both beans?). i'll probably start with half/one when i transfer to secondary, then taste after a while or at bottling. if it needs more vanilla, i'll add more then.

thanks!

Quick Reply