Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #211
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoman View Post
I brewed this up and split the difference, hitting 40 IBUs and I can attest to it being too sweet. I got great attenuation, but even as a green beer, the hop bitterness is too low. BTW, dry nibbing 2oz for 7 days is amazing! OK, maybe it's overkill for those who are not chocolate lovers. That pushed it out of balance toward the chocolate end, but it tastes great to me!
How long did you condition it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #212
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
How long did you condition it?
Those comments were based on tasting the FG sample on bottling day. IBUs calculated by Brewsmith using Tinseth. I bottled on Jan. 16, which was 33 days after brewing. I realize that it will not taste as sweet once it's carbonated, but from my experience I can tell that I will want a little more bitterness to balance it out.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #213
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Secondary

Just racked into secondary.

SECONDARY:
--------------
Hydro sample is very bitter and very coffee forward. Might skip the secondary additions of Lactose, Cocoa and Coffee. Instead add (Greek) Coffee, Cocoa Nibs and Lactose to Bottling. Lactose is a must and will be increased from 4 oz to 6 oz to counter the two coffee additions. SG measured at 1.017. Alcohol does come through, not that harsh though. Brew is green but not very, if anything it is the coffee that must mellow out not the hops/malt. This is going to be one to remember.

PS: Could sterilize 1.4 oz Coffee beans, 1.4 oz Cocoa nibs and 6 oz Lactose in 1 oz Kentucky Bourbon and add to secondary instead of waiting till bottling. What do you guys think about this?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #214
price2bc
Recipes 

Two questions:

How do you recommend changing the hop profile to hit 60 ibu's? i upped the nugget to 1 oz and that puts me at 40 ibu according to beer smith.

Also, and pry a beginner question, what mash profile do you use for this type of beer?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #215
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by price2bc View Post
Two questions:

How do you recommend changing the hop profile to hit 60 ibu's? i upped the nugget to 1 oz and that puts me at 40 ibu according to beer smith.

Also, and pry a beginner question, what mash profile do you use for this type of beer?
Two very valid questions.

IBUs: Up the Nugget to the bitterness but dont change the Willamette. If you get 48 IBUs you are golden, the Willamette can do the rest.
(Also, although I didnt do this it may well work: Do an 90 min boil and have a 90 min nugget addition and a 60 min nugget addition. With a brew this big you could pull it off.) Otherwise just up the Nugget and you are golden.

Mash: Mash high for this one. Remember you are making a dark brew with 60 IBUs of hop bitterness. I mashed at 155 F and hit the numbers spot on. There are other flavors going into this brew, cocoa, chocolate, lactose, lots of coffee too, so you will need that residual maltyness to come through. Mashing high will give you exactly that. Other than that remember to strike with enough 168 F water to get your desired pre boil batch size. I do not recommend not sparging this brew, it would be a great waste of sugars.

I ll try and give mine only 1 week in the secondary and see how that goes but so far S-04 has been the way to go. Will keep you posted.

Happy brewing everyone and dont forget to put some bottles aside for conditioning (NEXT) winter isnt too far!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #216
coonz
Recipes 

Ok I have mine in the secondary. How long should I wait ? Is four weeks to long?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #217
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz
Ok I have mine in the secondary. How long should I wait ? Is four weeks to long?
Not at all imo. The longer, the better, whether or not it is in the secondary or bottled/kegged.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #218
coonz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239

Not at all imo. The longer, the better, whether or not it is in the secondary or bottled/kegged.
Thanks yeah I figured that it would be specially with 2 cups of rum in it.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #219
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz View Post
Just make sure not to leave a lot of cocoa nibs and coffee beans in there for too long. They do tend to extract much bitterness. I may prolong my secondary but will leave it on the beans for only a week.

PS: Ended up adding 6 oz Kentucky Bourbon instead of 1 oz. Yeah... 1 oz would have gotten lost in there.

Happy brewing everyone and let us all know how your Stouts are coming along.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #220
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewed Dec 14, bottled Jan 16. First taste Feb. 4. OG1.068, FG1.016, 40IBU, 62SRM.
Used chocolate in the boil as the recipe states, but no coffee in the boil. 2oz dry nibs in the last 7 days of bulk aging in primary and bottled with 16oz cold-steeped coffee (med. roast, 1.5oz of beans finely ground steeped 24hours in refrigerator). Primed to 2.0Vol.
Notes: Black as sin, pours thick and creamy. No head, with low carbonation (as intended, because I plan to actually drink this at breakfast). Chocolatey, roasty nose with a bit of coffee in there. Flavor is a bit tart, and a little too much dark chocolate, with no hint of hops or esters. It's at this point I get suspicious and review my notes to find that I used S-05 instead of S-04. Big mistake. After further review I find that my water was off too (too soft), and that is probably why I can't smell or taste any hint of hop presence. I miss the esters and the slight tartness from the S-05 is out of place in this beer. Too bad. Also, I think 2oz of nibs was too much, and I would to only 1oz in the future to provide better balance with the other aromas.
Overall, I will drink this, but it could be better. The problems were with execution, and not with any part of the recipe so far as I can tell. I'll try it again in the autumn.

Quick Reply