Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #191
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

So i brewed this about a month ago and FG is not as low as I hoped. I raised the grain bill a bit and the OG was about 1.095. FG only went down to 1.032. If i bottle and since it is a good chunk off of the FG goal, should i cut the bottling sugar down a bit to avoid bottle bombs or should i be fine with normal sugar amount for this style?
I usually keg and don't bottle a lot so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #192
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure I know the answer to the last post...

However I brewed a variation of this yesterday. Only used 13 lbs of 2-row and adjusted the hop schedule for slightly increased IBUs.

The roasted coffee smells was really strong while mashing. Reading the threads here it sounds like most people thought the coffee was a bit much and the chocolate could be brought forward more. So I might consider eliminating the cold coffee addition and do something to add more chocolate. Not sure yet.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #193
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I split my batch and oaked half and just left the other half as usual. So far, the oaked have IMO tastes 10x better but that's me. It is only slightly oaked, not much. Just enough to get the vanilla and slight oak flavor out of them! Cant wait to age this a bit and see how it comes out!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #194
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
So i brewed this about a month ago and FG is not as low as I hoped. I raised the grain bill a bit and the OG was about 1.095. FG only went down to 1.032. If i bottle and since it is a good chunk off of the FG goal, should i cut the bottling sugar down a bit to avoid bottle bombs or should i be fine with normal sugar amount for this style?
I usually keg and don't bottle a lot so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks
what is your new recipe? Depending on how much you changed the grain bill (i.e. increased the unfermentables) you may only get to 1.032 anyway. Think about it. The original recipe is 1.086 to 1.023. You went up 9 gravity points for your OG from the original recipe and now you are nine points above with your FG from the original recipe. This is a HUGE beer. you may need to wait a little bit longer. shake up the fermentor a bit too to get the yeast back in action.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #195
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
what is your new recipe? Depending on how much you changed the grain bill (i.e. increased the unfermentables) you may only get to 1.032 anyway. Think about it. The original recipe is 1.086 to 1.023. You went up 9 gravity points for your OG from the original recipe and now you are nine points above with your FG from the original recipe. This is a HUGE beer. you may need to wait a little bit longer. shake up the fermentor a bit too to get the yeast back in action.
Shaking it up a bit worked just great for me. Just make sure you do it soon after your airlock levels out or stops moving. Yeast will get back to work soon after.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #196
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So my fermentation started quickly after I pitched a big starter, however there is little to no krausen. Fermenting at 64 degrees. After 25+ brews, this is the first one that hasn't shown any krausen, I'm not concerned however I wonder why? I wonder if it has something to do with the unique grain bill + coffee and chocolate additions.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #197
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
So my fermentation started quickly after I pitched a big starter, however there is little to no krausen. Fermenting at 64 degrees. After 25+ brews, this is the first one that hasn't shown any krausen, I'm not concerned however I wonder why? I wonder if it has something to do with the unique grain bill + coffee and chocolate additions.
Good observation. Perhaps all the fat from the chocolate kills any kind of foaming? Curious to see what the more Breakfast-Stout-experienced brewers have to say about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #198
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack

Good observation. Perhaps all the fat from the chocolate kills any kind of foaming? Curious to see what the more Breakfast-Stout-experienced brewers have to say about it.
After doing some research it appears as though the oils from the coffee and maybe even the chocolate might be the reason why little to no krausen. Granted I'm fermenting a little low in temp but not too low.

Either way I'm excited. Bubbling away nicely.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #199
bmock79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239

After doing some research it appears as though the oils from the coffee and maybe even the chocolate might be the reason why little to no krausen. Granted I'm fermenting a little low in temp but not too low.

Either way I'm excited. Bubbling away nicely.
Mine did the same thing, not near the krausen that my typical brews have.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #200
rob22
Recipes 

i made this about a week ago. my final gravity is right on. i was going to let it sit another week and then put it in a secondary to age for a good while. what does everyone think is the optimal amount of time to age before kegging??

Quick Reply