Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #131
endorphines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb View Post
I'm planning on doing this brew in the coming weeks. One question, though: Do you guys filter out the chocolate and coffee before putting it in the fermenter? I normally put my hops and other additions in a bag during the boil but doing so with chocolate seems wrong. However, I'm not sure how much I want to be cleaning 4 ounces of chocolate out of my carboy or bucket.
The chocolate melts into the wort and mixes in, so it's not like it gets caked on anywhere. I will say this though, on my second batch of this i left it in the primary for 5 weeks, and it soaked up a LOT of the bitterness from the coffee. I wouldn't keep it on the grounds for that long. Transfer to secondary in a reasonable amount of time, and you won't have any issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #132
NEKvt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorphines View Post
The chocolate melts into the wort and mixes in, so it's not like it gets caked on anywhere. I will say this though, on my second batch of this i left it in the primary for 5 weeks, and it soaked up a LOT of the bitterness from the coffee. I wouldn't keep it on the grounds for that long. Transfer to secondary in a reasonable amount of time, and you won't have any issues.
That's a good tip. I brewed a batch loosely following this recipe on Sunday and think I will transfer on day 10. That'll let me take a gravity and see how things are going too.

The coffee and chocolate in this thing smell so good!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #133
casey914
Recipes 

purchased the ingredients for the extract on page one! looking forward to it.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #134
PerpetualBuzz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

AG version of this went into the bucket on saturday night. After a few minor issues, mashed at 151 for 75 minutes, had a small boil over and the safety on my burner shut off a couple of times, but the O.G. came in at 1.080 and the yeast party was in full swing on sunday...we'll see how far the S-04 chews through this one. The wort tastes and smells great. Through all the craziness of the brew day I kept reminding myself RDWAHAHB!

OH, and I broke my airlock and had to rig up a blowoff tube until I could get to the LHBS today...they are closed on Monday.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #135
grundig5
Recipes 

I brewed this on July 4, primary for 10 days, then secondary for about 5 weeks. Just tapped it the other day and I am surprised how coffee-forward it is. Not so much bitter but intensely coffee-flavored. I only used 2 ounces of fresh ground coffee and didnt even bother with the cold brewed. I love coffee so it's great but my friends aren't impressed. Weird. I would probably back off on the grounds next time. Nice recipe though!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #136
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundig5 View Post
I brewed this on July 4, primary for 10 days, then secondary for about 5 weeks. Just tapped it the other day and I am surprised how coffee-forward it is. Not so much bitter but intensely coffee-flavored. I only used 2 ounces of fresh ground coffee and didnt even bother with the cold brewed. I love coffee so it's great but my friends aren't impressed. Weird. I would probably back off on the grounds next time. Nice recipe though!
Hmmm. I brewed my first batch of this last Fall, still drinking it. To me, it turne out so well that I regard it as one of the signs that, after four years, I'm coming of age as a homebrewer.

In addition to the chocolate called for, I put in 2 oz. of Papanicholas French Roast, which I ground from the beans myself. This is a strong coffee, but by no means was the FBS clone coffee-forward. The coffee and chocolate blend very well into the stout, and I have had several compliments on it, including one of the "Wow! This doesn't even taste like homebrew!" .....where you don't know whether to be complimented or insulted.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

digitalMessiah Likes This 
Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #137
grundig5
Recipes 

Maybe I used coffee that was too bright, I think it was Costa Rican (lightly roasted and pretty acidic) but it was very good quality and freshly roasted. Next time I would use 1.5 oz of grounds with an espresso or french roast. Maybe Sumatra as others here have used.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #138
stoneyrok
Recipes 

Default Follow up on this brew

This turned out very good. My friend did 10 gal and I did 5 gal. We both went a step further and bourbon oaked in the secondary. I can tell you that he did not add coffe at bottling, and I did, and in taste testing, you really can't tell. It's about 6 months old now, and the sharpness has calmed and the beer now is very mellow and awesome. I just got another founders breakfast stout clone that looks amazing, so I will get it from my friend and post it if there is interest!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #139
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post
I racked mine onto 2.5 oz of moka java beans and .75 oz of american oak chips.
Did this make it turn out more like the KBS?

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #140
jarod7736
Recipes 

I brewed this yesterday. I may have used too much of the Sumatran coffee grounds, about 2.5 ounces too much. Also used Dutch process cocoa powder and cacao nibs. Hopefully it won't wreck it. It's happily bubbling away at ~65f right now.

Quick Reply