Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #121
bigredbarn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Alright, so I have all the ingredients for this delicious looking recipe in Beersmith, and it's telling me OG is to be 1.106. Where am I screwing up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #122
stoneyrok
Recipes 

Hi Big Red! Ok, so I decided to check the forums tonight, because I moved this recipe from the secondary to the bottling bucket tonight. I was going to keg it, but decided I am going to bottle it, so I am boiling my jar, water, lids, and when it all cools I am going to cold brew the kona and bottling this tomorrow.

I checked back over my notes on this recipe, and I thought I was going to have poor mash tun efficiency since I was borrowing someone else's at the time. I ended up using 18.5lbs of 2 row English Malt. The recipe calls for a different base malt, but I have been brewing with the foothills guys and I can get the English malt much cheaper, and they convinced me that English malt won't be detectable. I thought I called it perfectly using 18.5lbs since my OG came in at 1.1085, but had I used 16lbs, then my OG would have been close to yours. I think you just had a little less efficiency mashing out, and I don't ink it is going to affect the taste at all. Go ahead with it, and you'll be happy. I confess I did leave mine in the secondary for about 6 weeks, but damn, it tastes incredible tonight uncarbonated. My brew buddy did the same recipe, but he soaked some oak chips for the first 2 weeks while it was in the primary, and added the two week old soaked oak to the secondary and it is absolutely amazing. He did keg his, so I am not sure what the taste profile difference will be btw legging and bottling, but there is always a touch of difference just because of the natural carbonation.

So, enough rambling, I think you just had a little less efficiency in your mash out.

Also, what temp did you mash at and for how long?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #123
stoneyrok
Recipes 

Oh, so I just realized you haven't brewed it yet. Check the mash efficiency in beer smith, and if you think yours might be low, go a touch higher with your base malt. Mine turned out great using 18.5 and I mashed at 155.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #124
robeer
Recipes 

I made this and had a sample just before I bottled it. It had a really strong coffee taste on the front end. I plan on letting this one age for a while before I start drinking. How much can I expect the coffee taste to mellow over time?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #125
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

6 months aging at least for optimal effect.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #126
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made this Last October. It was really good in January, excellent by February. I held off several bottles. Each subsequent month it got better. Last one i had i believe was the end of April and it was better than the previous. Still have a few left but am waiting until the fall to pop them open.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #127
endorphines
Recipes 

I brewed a batch of this 6 months ago as my first all grain batch. I knew it was not a simple beer to make, i just really wanted something interesting to show for my work.
Now, 6 months later I've tasted the fruits of my labor and it's awesome! I put 1L of maple syrup into my primary partly for flavoring, and partly because i had horrible efficiency so i figured a little extra sugar wouldn't hurt things... I did some math, and after the syrup, my OG would be 1.072. It wasn't enough to taste any maple at all, but you do get a hint of the aroma when you open the bottle.

Yesterday i did another batch. 6 months of learning has gone a long long way because my OG was 1.111 ! That was with a little more than the expected boil off, but it was maybe 1L out. according to the efficiency calculator that google found for me and my other measurements (pre-boil gravity and volume) my efficiency was 86%.
For reference for everyone else making this, what i did was a mash thickness of 1.4-1.3 qt per pound at 158F for 60 mins. I mashed out with boiling water to get it to 170 with as little volume increase as possible. sat 10 mins. then i drained.
I batch sparged with 170 degree water without stirring after the infusions. I did 3 infusions, and collected 26L total.

For my tastes the hop character could be a bit stronger, especially since i'm going to age this new batch for quite a while. This is my new hop schedule:

.6 oz Nugget (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.2 oz Nugget (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.6 oz Fuggles (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. Mt. Hood is not available to me locally here
2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.
.6 oz Fuggles (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min. Mt. Hood is not available to me locally here
2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling

Cooled with my counterflow wort chiller and put in a plastic primary. I siphoned from that at a high height into a different pail with a long freefall to aerate the heck out of it (twice), the yeast would be stressed as heck with that OG. and then i pitched onto a wyeast 1056 american ale yeast cake from a clone batch of moose drool.
In 4 hours there was 6 inches of krausen, and the yeast activity had brought the temprature up to 79f in my 65f basement.

I know that this beer has a hell of a reputation, and i feel a bit bad for screwing with a recipe that is respected as much as this one, but without the oak casks that the original is aged in, i figured i'd never have it exactly right anyways. I'll report back in 4 months when i open the first bottle. I know that's too soon, but Nov 10th is my birthday, and i'm giving myself a present.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #128
HammelBrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just boiled up 10 gallons of this 3 days ago. Now on 2nd full day of ferment and 2nd full day of it in my 60 degree crawl space. The thermometer sticker I have on each carboy shows right at 72 degrees, and there's about 2" of kreusen on top, airlocks are doing drum rolls. The air coming from the air lock doesn't seem too fruity/estery, so I'm not too concerned. Besides, with the roast, coffee, and chocolate, I don't think the esters would really over power the aroma of the beer. I know I'm at the top end of the 60-72 recommended temp for wyeast 1056, but I'm afraid to cool with wet t-shirt or anything at this point in the game. Don't want to stall the yeast.

Any input? I'm thinking I would do more harm at 48+ hours in to active fermentation than good if I cooled it down at this point. I welcome any input from anyone that has done this at warmer temps, or even what your experience is with wyeast 1056 at 72 degrees. I'm thinking I should just relax and have one of my African Amber or Bitburger clones on tap. Maybe two.

Thanks for the recipe (did the 30 IBU recipe on original post, my OG was 1.084). Can't wait to condition this and (hopefully) share it as x-mas gifts in December. cheers...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #129
geneb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning on doing this brew in the coming weeks. One question, though: Do you guys filter out the chocolate and coffee before putting it in the fermenter? I normally put my hops and other additions in a bag during the boil but doing so with chocolate seems wrong. However, I'm not sure how much I want to be cleaning 4 ounces of chocolate out of my carboy or bucket.

Planning: Nothing.:(
Fermenting: Australian Pale Ale, Wee Heavy
Drinking: Nelson Sauvin Saison

Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #130
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb View Post
I'm planning on doing this brew in the coming weeks. One question, though: Do you guys filter out the chocolate and coffee before putting it in the fermenter? I normally put my hops and other additions in a bag during the boil but doing so with chocolate seems wrong. However, I'm not sure how much I want to be cleaning 4 ounces of chocolate out of my carboy or bucket.
I left the coffee and chocolate in the ferment. It seemed to cause no ill effects. Outstanding beer, and the fermentation vessel (I just use the white plastic bucket) was no harder to clean out than usual, although this probably -and understandably- had the thickest trub of any beer I've brewed.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply