Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #111
infection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

brewed this last sunday 4/3, as usual s-04 took off like gangbusters for the first few days....checked my gravity today and its 1.040...I'm hoping the s04 doesn't flocculate out too much to finish this thing in the next few weeks..was hoping it would finish in the 1.023 range....by the way it looked like crude oil when i started my runoff...
OG was 1.083
have it fermenting at 65 F

should I just wait it out; or attempt to warm it up a bit?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #112
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This all sounds right to me.....OG in the ballpark for my batch last Fall, same for ferm temp. (I also used S-04). And, as I recall, the FG was in the low 1.02X. You should be good; I'd wait it out.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #113
stoneyrok
Recipes 

OK,
We brewed 10 gal on Saturday, we plan to bourbon oak 5 gal and leave the other 5 alone... I brewed 5 gallons tonight. I am about to pitch my yeast, and DAMN, the wort tastes in-freakin-credible!!!! that sumatra brings out the other flavors. Right now it is sweet, and slightly hoppy. I think this is going to be a kick ass stout. I did change up a little. I used 3oz Semi Sweet bakers chocolate, and 2oz unsweetened bakers chocolate, and also I bumped the base malt to 17.5 lbs instead of 16lbs. I just chilled it and it is sitting at 68.5 degrees in the primary, and I am about to pitch. After it ferments for 2 weeks, I am going to rack it into (2) 2.5 gal carboys, and in one I am going to put lightly toasted oak chips that soaked for two weeks in Kentucky bourbon, and the other 2.5 gal I will either leave alone, "OR" soak only in oak chips, OR dry hop it with Mt. Hood, OR dry hop with Mt. Hood AND oak age it for the last two weeks. The wort taste phenomenal, the brew went perfectly, the chill came down to 68 in 25 minutes (maybe less) and I am staring at the fermenter now about to pitch the yeast, drinking a serpents stout. I LOVE BEER, I probably mentioned that at some point.. DAMN!! Thanks to everyone on this forum. I have learned loads, and even more "on the job training:. Just do it, screw it up a few times, and learn, then become awesome,,, that is the secret. Happy brewing to ALL and I will post back about this in six week. 2 Weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, this will be bottled conditioned since it WILL enter a local contest but condition in the bottles for at least two weeks. I would like to pop the first one after it conditions in the bottles for 4 weeks, but we will see. this forum rocks, I finally feel like I am becoming something special, with all grain and doing some complex ****... Oh, don't think I am cocky, I am having a serpents stout at this moment, about to pitch the yeast.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #114
stoneyrok
Recipes 

Yes, I am a little excited, and buzzed from a serpent's stout, but probably more buzzed at the satisfaction of my/our creation... thanks for the recipe!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #115
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Again to reiterate, i made this early october- 3 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary- was drinking it by Christmas/ New Year and it was awesome....then had some in February, and it was better. Then it was better in March. Cracked one this past weekend and it was the best one yet. This beer ages great. Save a bunch for when the Fall starts kicking into gear again, you'll be happy you did.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #116
randallr
Recipes 

Has there been a concesus on how to add coffee to the brew? Should it be mashed with the rest of the grain?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #117
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
Has there been a concesus on how to add coffee to the brew? Should it be mashed with the rest of the grain?
Under no circumstances- I believe that would extract far too much bitterness. I threw in 2 oz. of freshly ground Papanicholas French Roast at flameout. Coffee notes in the finished beer are just right.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #118
infection
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhot55 View Post
Again to reiterate, i made this early october- 3 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary- was drinking it by Christmas/ New Year and it was awesome....then had some in February, and it was better. Then it was better in March. Cracked one this past weekend and it was the best one yet. This beer ages great. Save a bunch for when the Fall starts kicking into gear again, you'll be happy you did.
I just sampled some from secondary....unfortunately there is no way this is gonna last till fall....just too damn good....i'll probably keep this beer in my regular lineup...so I guess i can bottle a few for storage

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #119
infection
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infection View Post
brewed this last sunday 4/3, as usual s-04 took off like gangbusters for the first few days....checked my gravity today and its 1.040...I'm hoping the s04 doesn't flocculate out too much to finish this thing in the next few weeks..was hoping it would finish in the 1.023 range....by the way it looked like crude oil when i started my runoff...
OG was 1.083
have it fermenting at 65 F
should I just wait it out; or attempt to warm it up a bit?
Update, this really did get stuck at 1.040, I think I overshot my mash temp and the grain bill was so big that once I got my temps under control the damage had already been done.
I made another starter with some Irish Ale yeast that I had and repitched, nothing happened after 12 hours so I decided to try some amalyse enzyme, used one teaspoon dissolved in some pre-boiled water, the ferment took off within 12 hours and is now pretty much finished at 1.022 after 3 weeks; this was my first attempt using amalyse enzyme and it looks like it did what it's supposed to do

Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #120
stoneyrok
Recipes 

Moved mine to the secondary a few nights ago. OG was also 1.083 and the final was 1.023 and was like motor oil. I am fairly new to all grain, so I was a little surprised at how much trub there was, but it looks like it will be awesome. I will be sure to let everyone know. My friend is going to bourbon oak a batch, that should be awesome!

Quick Reply