Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #21
Yretsof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So what temps and times did you mash at? This is my first all grain, so I'm not super fluent, I am wanting to brew this sometime this week. I see it was pointed out that you mashed "A little higher for 90 minutes." I am using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and doing a 5 gallon batch. What would you suggest?

I am thinking about splitting this into 3 gallons regular and 2 gallons chocolate by splitting the wort at the end of the boil and adding 3.5ozs Hersheys Cocao powder to make the chocolate stout version. Any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #22
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yretsof View Post
So what temps and times did you mash at? This is my first all grain, so I'm not super fluent, I am wanting to brew this sometime this week. I see it was pointed out that you mashed "A little higher for 90 minutes." I am using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and doing a 5 gallon batch. What would you suggest?

I am thinking about splitting this into 3 gallons regular and 2 gallons chocolate by splitting the wort at the end of the boil and adding 3.5ozs Hersheys Cocao powder to make the chocolate stout version. Any thoughts on this?
for a nice full bodied stout mashing at 154 is what you want. As far as splitting it. try it as designed first time around. It's your first All Grain, trying to complicate things by splitting won't show you any flaws that you need to correct. Besides it will have a serious dark chocolate flavor as it is

Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
danielofthedale
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have a couple of questions about some tweaks to the recipe.

What do you think about using Marris Otter for the base malt?

Have you ever used the Dark Chocolate Malt and what are your thoughts on subbing that in for regular Chocolate Malt? Seems like from what I have seen that Dark Chocolate gives more chocolate and less coffee flavor.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielofthedale View Post
I have a couple of questions about some tweaks to the recipe.

What do you think about using Marris Otter for the base malt?

Have you ever used the Dark Chocolate Malt and what are your thoughts on subbing that in for regular Chocolate Malt? Seems like from what I have seen that Dark Chocolate gives more chocolate and less coffee flavor.
Personally, I would save the Marris for a beer where you'll actually taste it. With this stout you'll taste the roasted malt flavor from the chocolate malt over anything else.

Dark Chocolate malt. The Chocolate malt I use most of the time is from Brewmasters Warehouse.. Crisp Chocolate is listed as 415SRM... that's pretty dark. I've used the Organic Chocolate before as well, that was 350SRM.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #25
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this about a month and a half ago, fermented for 2 weeks, secondary for about 3 weeks, bottle aged for about 3 weeks. Took a few bottles to a friends house and everyone loved it. Got everything for "Thats awesome, you brewed this?" To "this is probably the best beer I have ever had." So I took a few to work for the beer lovers and again got rave reviews, "best homebrew I have every had, and better than most storebought beer" actually had a guy who last weekend told me all the homebrew he has ever had tasted like crap, tell me after trying mine, I could bring him more of that yummy beer any time I wanted. I did drop the bittering hops 3/4 oz. But all other was the same, I am probably gonna rebrew it next weekend. If this took 3rd, what took first?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #26
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
I brewed this about a month and a half ago, fermented for 2 weeks, secondary for about 3 weeks, bottle aged for about 3 weeks. Took a few bottles to a friends house and everyone loved it. Got everything for "Thats awesome, you brewed this?" To "this is probably the best beer I have ever had." So I took a few to work for the beer lovers and again got rave reviews, "best homebrew I have every had, and better than most storebought beer" actually had a guy who last weekend told me all the homebrew he has ever had tasted like crap, tell me after trying mine, I could bring him more of that yummy beer any time I wanted. I did drop the bittering hops 3/4 oz. But all other was the same, I am probably gonna rebrew it next weekend. If this took 3rd, what took first?

Glad ya like it! it didn't take 3rd...it took 2nd.... but I still think this is one of the best Stouts I've brewed. I get a lot of the same comments you got. Some of those come from hardcore stout guys too.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also, I called in my ingredient order to brewmasters warehouse and the crushed everything and put it all into one bag, so I used 2 pounds of oats unstead of one regular and one toasted. I picked up a new batch and everything is in its own bag, so I am wondering do I keep the same recipe I just had sucess with? Or go the toasted route?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #28
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Also, I called in my ingredient order to brewmasters warehouse and the crushed everything and put it all into one bag, so I used 2 pounds of oats unstead of one regular and one toasted. I picked up a new batch and everything is in its own bag, so I am wondering do I keep the same recipe I just had sucess with? Or go the toasted route?
I'd say toast it.. just so you can see the difference

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What would you say will be the overall taste difference? Nuttier? More of a coffee finish? And what would you suggest for a better/thicker mouthfeel, and better head retention?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
What would you say will be the overall taste difference? Nuttier? More of a coffee finish? And what would you suggest for a better/thicker mouthfeel, and better head retention?
toasting will make it nuttier. to get more mouthfeel mash at a higher temp (154 will give a full bodied beer). The last version I made I used 2lbs of flaked oats. I toasted 1lb. I also used 1lb of malted oats. I mashed at 154 for 90 minutes and the resulting beer was a chewy almost silky beer. As far as head retention.... 2lbs of oats will produce a long last thick head

Quick Reply