Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Double-W Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #251
looneybomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cracked open a bottle of (very different) WW stout. It's a good stout, rather roasty and pleasantly easy on the hops. However, I wanted more mouth feel and more malty goodness. Overall, I give it a thumbs up and will add some lactose, maltodextrine*, and chocolate on my next batch. Bought a pound each of warrior and willamette and will get the correct ingredients this time around, even though the other additions will throw it off.

*Spell checker wanted me to change this to extramarital.

*side note* Drinking this beer on an empty stomach while working on differential equations (laplace transforms). Wowza.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #252
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am seriously surprised you feel it needs maltodextrine. This stout is so rich and thick...

Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #253
looneybomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
I am seriously surprised you feel it needs maltodextrine. This stout is so rich and thick...
It's part of my incessant goal to achieve the body and mouth feel of Bourbon county stout. Despite the numerous substitutions, what I have in my glass is good and my wife agrees. And maybe it's my substitutions that took away some of the body that's there in the original recipe? It's certainly not watery, that's for sure.

I'm glad I bought a pound each of W and W, because I want to try brewing this again a few more times; once with the original recipe and then with more tweaks (Can you blame me? I am an engineering major). It's only fair to brew the original recipe and compare it to off-shoots. Now if only I could find the time during the school year to brew more beer.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 12-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #254
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Are the 2 chocolate malts US or UK or does it matter?
Even at 65% efficiency I think I'll hit 1.106 OG, so I might dial the maris otter down to 19lbs or 18lbs, what do you think? Plus, then it might fit into my mash tun.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #255
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

well here was my experience -

holy crap that is alot of grain! I cut out 1 lb of maris otter and the 10 gallon round igloo mash tun seemed almost full before adding water! It was pretty amazing to see it suck up just under 7.5 gallons of water on top of that. I almost broke it up into 2 batches, but decided to go for it and am glad I did.

We were in my garage, and it was cold. We batch sparged. Added 173F strike water, hit like 155F. Was 153F at 30, gave a stir. Was 151F at 70 minutes, collected wort. It's real tough to get an accurate temp with that much grain by the way.

Anyways, collected 4+ gallons out of first runnings. Really let it sit to make sure we got it all. Added a little over 3 gallons at 189 and hit like 162F - should've used a calculator, with that much grain I guess you need to sparge hotter to hit 168F. Collected 3+ gallons, so ended with like 7 1/4 gallons. Pre-boil gravity: 1.080, thought I wanted to be like 1.092. But I think that's like 65% efficiency and I usually get 70% to 73%, got 80% once.

Nearly had a boil over in my 10 gallon pot - closest I've ever came. It was like actually boiled over but by some miracle defied gravity and held on while we stirred like banshees and got it under control.

My post-boil OG was 1.092, so a little low. Added 2 packs rehydrated US-05, I'm thinking with a lower OG I wiill have a lower final gravity, so it may be dryer/less sweet than it should be? This is definitely the biggest beer I've ever brewed and probably the limits of my system, if I were to add back the 1 lb maris otter. Smelled amazing! I plan to age this for 1 year.

What I'd change next brew - bigger mash paddle, shoot for 65% efficiency - add back the 1lb of maris otter, hotter sparge water, insulate cooler if outside in cold for the mash.

p1010832-001.jpg  

Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #256
tellyho
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Brewed this up a month ago with my friend as our annual RIS brew. It's turned out nicely, with big chocolate notes. Used up my last bits of the Willamette harvest from this fall. We also did a half-ass on the spot partigyle, throwing in whatever hops I had around and some amber dme to get up to 1.05. The little brother also turned out very nicely. Just bottled both, and will report back once carbonated and aged a little.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #257
looneybomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
Cracked open a bottle of (very different) WW stout. It's a good stout, rather roasty and pleasantly easy on the hops. However, I wanted more mouth feel and more malty goodness. Overall, I give it a thumbs up and will add some lactose, maltodextrine*, and chocolate on my next batch. Bought a pound each of warrior and willamette and will get the correct ingredients this time around, even though the other additions will throw it off.

*Spell checker wanted me to change this to extramarital.

*side note* Drinking this beer on an empty stomach while working on differential equations (laplace transforms). Wowza.
I saw this thread pop up and it reminded me to try another bottle. Roughly 6mo in the bottle and this tastes pretty good! Looking back at my comment above, I will not add lactose or maltodextrine to my next batches. In fact, the lactose may ruin it...

I'll brew this again this summer.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #258
misterranger
Recipes 

First off I want to thank r2eng for the recipe. I was shopping for recipes early December 2012 and landed on this thread after a search for an imperial stout.

I ended up brewing up a 6 gallon batch on Christmas Eve and hit 1.113 OG. After 3 weeks in primary a 1.030 FG was read and I racked it onto 600 mL cold brewed coffee into a Balcones Blue Corn Whiskey barrel and let it secondary for 26 days.

Let me say...wow WOW wow. Thick mouth feel, some residual sweetness, chocolate, oak, vanilla. The alcohol is hidden in this complex brew. I will be definitely be brewing this one again.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #259
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad you liked it!

I have brewed several variations of malt with this recipe, but nothing quite matches the original.

I did, however, add more hops to hit 110IBU, and I like it better. It ages better, IMO.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #260
Rossputin
Recipes 

We brewed this up yesterday, biggest batch we've done to date but we love a challenge. The plan is to have this ready and drinkable by October...if I can wait that long.
Changes we had to make are:
- delete 0.5lb of dark chocolate malt (LHBS did not have).
- substitute 2oz Nugget for Warrior (again, LHBS did not have).
The first runnings were SO dark, incredible. Our preboil gravity hit 1.090 at about 6.4gal and we managed to get our OG to 1.110 with about 5.5gal in the primary.

Welcome to the bottom of my post.

Quick Reply