Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Double-W Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #241
looneybomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. I had to make some substitutions too and it turned out awesome! You may have created a masterpiece!
Well I changed my sig to read Double-W (inspired) stout. Wish me luck. I'll post an update in here in about 2mo when I take a sample when bottling.
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #242
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just wanted to share what I did with my tiny variation of this recipe. Bulk aged in a keg for the last 5 months, finally decided I needed to make room in my keezer so I bottled it. My friend took my sketch for a label and put his professional design skills to work, then each one got a wax seal. Thanks again to r2eng and everyone else for their input on this beer!

image-1052421634.jpg   image-1803519346.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #243
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, and my inspiration for the name is from MST3k episode, Space Mutiny.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #244
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 369

bottling 2012 version now

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #245
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebrain
Just wanted to share what I did with my tiny variation of this recipe. Bulk aged in a keg for the last 5 months, finally decided I needed to make room in my keezer so I bottled it. My friend took my sketch for a label and put his professional design skills to work, then each one got a wax seal. Thanks again to r2eng and everyone else for their input on this beer!
So official, those look great! Wax seals, wow how cool is that!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #246
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

yeah that looks just awesome! I'm drinking a bottle now and BOY is it tasty. Was definitely too sweet after 2 weeks in the bottle but now after 3-4 it is freakin outstanding! I'm just hoping it does not go back to being sweet later on as it was mentioned might happen. How does something like that even happen? I mean, I understand the hops can die down and let more of the malt through, but it's been said there are waves with this beer. So after drying out, and then getting sweet again, how can it become drier again? O.o LOL

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #247
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After 2 weeks n the bottle, it probably wasn't carbonated, so you were tasting priming sugar. It doesn't get sweet again, don't worry. However, it will change flavor and get more complex.

I have found that some days even commercial beers taste different to me. It's your taste buds, what you ate before, what beer you had before, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #248
looneybomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
WOW!

OG = 1.113, now at 1.040, that's 70.8% attenuation... 9.56% ABV.

well balanced stout!

Keeping my hands off this is going to be really hard!
Brewed mine around a month ago.
OG 1.116
FG 1.034

I don't know if the yeast will be able to carb this or if I'll have to get a champagne yeast.?

*edit* Side note, I did this as an extract and most of the specialty grains were substituted for what the LHBS had on hand. Still, good attenuation, although I did use a pretty active yeast cake.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #249
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
Brewed mine around a month ago.
OG 1.116
FG 1.034

I don't know if the yeast will be able to carb this or if I'll have to get a champagne yeast.?

*edit* Side note, I did this as an extract and most of the specialty grains were substituted for what the LHBS had on hand. Still, good attenuation, although I did use a pretty active yeast cake.
Did you pitch yeast using a starter? Did it ferment in your yeast's optimal fermentation temperature range? If so, it'll most likely bottle condition just fine but you'll need to give it more than the usual 7-14 days conditioning time. I'm talking a month or two.

My version of this got close to 11% abv and it bottle conditioned fine, but it took a month or two. I filled a 5 gallon keg and force carbed the bulk, but had just enough left in the ferm. bucket to bottle 2 22oz bombers and they carbed with Coopers sugar "carb drops" just fine. Just have a little patience with it. Besides, this is a brew that needs a few months to get fully delicious, so you have some time to let it age.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #250
looneybomber
Recipes 

Bottled it without adding yeast. Placed all the caps on then started my clean up process and playing with my 5y/o. After about an hour, I could hear a few of the caps pop/jump so I knew the yeast was working and crimped them down. I ended up netting 746oz or 5.83gal. I didn't age any on oak or bourbon, but maybe next time.

Quick Reply