Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Here's my take on a chocolate stout. My chocolate espresso turned out so well I figured modifying it a bit for chocolate would be awesome.

10lbs 2row
2lbs chocolate malt
.5lb caraffa III
.5lb CaraPils
1lb lactose
1oz Warrior 35mins

4oz bakers chocolate at the end of the boil
4oz semi-sweet chocolate in the secondary

put the chocolate in the secondary and then racked on top of it. Kind of swirled it a bit to.

no, it was the powdered form of hershey's you get at the grocery store. Like the baker's chocolate.

Lessons Learned:

I made a (second stout) where I added 50% more chocolate malt and reduced the roasted barly by 25%.

I just kegged it the other day. I'm not really sure if the results are what I wanted.

Will keep you informed...

i had a commercial version of this yesterday (youngs i think)

it was great, but didnt know how this would turn on in the bottle or off of a co2 tap.. it looked like it used a creamer and nitrogen.. and i have neither.

If we wanted to bottle this, how much sugar would you recommend for priming?

Same amount as for any 5 gallon batch (3/4 cup dextrose)? I made the Young's clone from AHS a couple months ago and it is just now starting to taste VERY good. I had tried it a week after bottling, about 3 weeks later, and then a couple weeks ago. The first 2 times it did not taste very good at all. Definitely want to age this puppy for a while to get the flavors to meld well, but it is coming along perfectly. I hope by late fall it will be in it's prime and ready for the nice colder weather.

HTH

Anyone made this recently? I'm looking for something along the lines of the Young's Double Choc stout for my next brew - is this the way to go?

maybe leave out the lactose... This is a milk stout with chocolate basically, youngs isn't the slightest bit sweet, more of a bitter chocolate.

maybe leave out the lactose... This is a milk stout with chocolate basically, youngs isn't the slightest bit sweet, more of a bitter chocolate.

thanks dude. i guess i could leave the lactose out until bottling, right? so i could see before bottling where it is taste-wise and decide if i want to back-sweeten a wee bit.

I would look for something along the lines of an irish stout and add chocolate to that. Young's is dry, this is not at all.

Wasn't sure if you check your recipe posts, so I sent the same question via a PM..... but when do you add the lactose? At the start of the wort boil?

At the end of the boil. Better hop utilization.

I'll also add that I'm constantly tweaking this recipe, as it's one of my favorites. This time around it's higher gravity, but same grain bill as my efficiency is a lot higher these days, different hops and yeast.

Still Single infusion at 154.
OG: 1.073
SRM: 50*
IBU: 38
10lbs 2-row
2lbs Chocolate Malt
.5lbs Carafa III
.5lb Cara-pils
1lb lactose
1.6oz cluster @ 7.9% 90mins
Yeast: Windsor
4 oz Bakers chocolate in mash