Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #441
speedster00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive brewed this 3 times and its always a favorite. Ive used hersheys dark and regular hersheys cocoa powder. The regular taste better. Ive also used a vanilla bean and extract. If you want the vanilla flavor to be more pronounced use extract. The bean is very mild and hardly noticable to me anyway.

Im going to brew this for a 4th time and use 8oz of cocoa and .5 oz of vanilla extract. I also like adding Lactose. 4oz adds some body and smooths out the sweetness some.

Kegged: black ale
Kegged: centenial ale

Primary:about to brew a 4th run of Dbl Choco Oatmeal stout
secondary:nothing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #442
TBuuck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed this baby up, took a taste two days into fermentation and a was surprised by a little bit of a sour taste right at the start. Not sure if that is the bitterness of the cocoa powder, but I'm kind of hoping that dissipates over the conditioning in the next week. Anybody else get this same result?

image-2028219736.jpg  

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #443
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

2 days into fermentation is any kind of indicator of what the beer will taste like. Wait till fermentation is a least over then taste again.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #444
Zwoods
Recipes 

so i haven't seen an exact all grain recipe yet but after i used some formulas found on the Palmer website to convert the extract to all grain i came up with

9.5 ish pounds of 2 row
.86 ish pounds of crystal 60L

and keeping everything else the same, would this change the recipe much?
would i still get the same results for the beer?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #445
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Oughta do just fine, I think.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #446
DasHos
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Brewed the AG version on pg 1 on Monday. Threw in a lb of lactose, too. Planning on tossing in 2 or 3 vanilla beans and 4 oz cacao nibs as well. At bottling time, may throw in just a smidge of cold extracted coffee. This brew is gonna be AWESOME. Oh, also used White Labs WL002 (two vials). Not that I don't love dark chocolate, but I did want something sweeter. OG came in at 1.074. I can't wait!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #447
daman
Recipes 

As I see, most of the brewers are using kakao powder for choco feeling, I am wondering if using a real black chocolate is a good idea? Anyone tried that? Other question when the chocolate should be added? In 15minutes till boiling end or somethnig like that? And here is a question which was bothering me for a long time, but never had a chance to ask, if you add sugars, chocolate, fruits or other stuff in boiling stage, will it change your gravity? Will the gravity change for a same ammount if I would add Chocolate into a boiling stage and if I would add it straight into fermenter?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #448
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cocoa powder won't change the gravity at all. Sugar definitely will because... well, that's the whole reason you check the gravity... to see how much sugar is in it.

Fruit... it depends on how much sugar is extracted into solution. But fruit is best added later during the ferment rather than the boil. Boiling sets the pectin in the fruit and you can get something approaching beer jello. Ok, that's an exaggeration but you get the point.

When you say "real black chocolate" I'm guessing you mean like a chocolate bar or something? That's just going to be less cocoa and more other stuff like fats that can cause problems with your head retention.

I always add the cocoa powder late in the boil so it has time to churn around and really get mixed with the wort to impart a lot of flavor. It all settles out in the end so it's almost like steeping a tea or something.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #449
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks for posting this recipe ChshreCat. It has inspired a recipe of my own. May I ask a question? Why Do you need to use "fat free" cacao? The reason I ask is that I ordered RAW Cacao beans....they are whole and not roasted, and have a higher fat content then most powders on the market. This is a link to what I bought....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKRRVQ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am/was planning on grinding 5 oz. of these and adding 5 minutes left in the boil. But I am a little concerned as you stated "fat free".
Thoughts?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #450
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
Thanks for posting this recipe ChshreCat. It has inspired a recipe of my own. May I ask a question? Why Do you need to use "fat free" cacao? The reason I ask is that I ordered RAW Cacao beans....they are whole and not roasted, and have a higher fat content then most powders on the market. This is a link to what I bought....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKRRVQ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am/was planning on grinding 5 oz. of these and adding 5 minutes left in the boil. But I am a little concerned as you stated "fat free".
Thoughts?
Fats tend to destroy head retention in your beer. I use fat free cocoa powder to retain as much head as I can on my beer. If you don't mind a lack of foam, then there's nothing to worry about. It shouldn't affect it otherwise though I'm not sure you'd get quick as much chocolate flavor.

Now... if it were me... I'd go ahead and use fat free cocoa powder, but a slightly smaller amount, in the boil. Then I'd take those cocoa beans and crack them into smaller chunks with a rolling pin, but not grind then down to powder and then secondary on them. Call it a TRIPLE chocolate stout!

THEN (Yeah, I'm not done yet).... THEN... when you bottle, take those beer soaked nibs and rinse the yeast off them and back them into a chocolate cheesecake. Dark chocolate cheesecake with stout-soaked cocoa nibs.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply