Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #431
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well, don't up it too much since this sometimes takes some time to condition already. A lb of corn sugar would bump you up about another 1% abv but I wouldn't push it past that. If you want more then rework the recipe into something bigger.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #432
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just brewed up a somewhat similar (5 gal) batch, but during the boil realized that I only had 4 oz. of cocoa powder. I figured I'd chocolate-up by adding nibs during secondary. Is there some weight ratio that I can use to compare nib weight vs. powder weight so that I don't under- or over-chocolate it?

Edit: The only cocoa nibs I could find are sprayed with cocoa liquor, so I bought some organic chocolate extract instead (ethanol, agave juice sweetener, and cocoa powder) - have to figure out how little of this potent stuff to use...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #433
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just go to your local market and get some Dutched Cocoa and add another 4 ounces to the secondary....it all settles to the bottom anyway and leaves the flavor in the beer. Rack right onto the powder.

Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #434
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinmi88 View Post
Just go to your local market and get some Dutched Cocoa and add another 4 ounces to the secondary....it all settles to the bottom anyway and leaves the flavor in the beer. Rack right onto the powder.
There's no cross-contamination concerns doing this? (I guess I can soak the powder in vodka).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #435
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The same exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago....I made a slury with vodka but it made such a thick paste I had concerns about it dissolving properly. I ended up just racking onto the cocoa and it at first sat on top for a couple days then eventually after a week it all settled on the bottom.

I don't bottle condition...Kegged it last weekend and just had a glass 30 minutes ago and it is awesome. I am considering following the same process with the next batch.

Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #436
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute2 View Post
There's no cross-contamination concerns doing this? (I guess I can soak the powder in vodka).
Once the beer is in secondary the chance of infection is quite low. Plus, the cocoa powder is coming in a sealed container. It's not like you're scraping it off the cacao pods from your back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinmi88 View Post
The same exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago....I made a slury with vodka but it made such a thick paste I had concerns about it dissolving properly. I ended up just racking onto the cocoa and it at first sat on top for a couple days then eventually after a week it all settled on the bottom.

I don't bottle condition...Kegged it last weekend and just had a glass 30 minutes ago and it is awesome. I am considering following the same process with the next batch.
Cocoa powder won't dissolve. It's a powder, but it's a solid. It'll settle out, but it leaches out flavor.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #437
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just put this in secondary, over a split vanilla bean I had soaking in a wee bit of vodka for 5 days (the vodka/extract went in as well). The wort/beer had a great oatmeal stout taste coming out of the primary, with a noticeable, but slight chocolate taste - exactly what I wanted - 4 oz. of cocoa powder worked out perfectly. It had a wonderful chocolate aroma that I hope sticks around when I bottle.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #438
fastfocus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

OK, just sampled this with a blackberry addition. #1 of berries per gallon. Very tart flavor when compared to the other half with no berries. Much drier in flavor and more of a wine like in taste. Was hoping for a little purple in the head. Nope. I'd say so far a swing and a miss. Maybe with some aging the tartness will mellow out. WOW is it tart. For using ripe sweet fruit, It's like sucking on the vine.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #439
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Sugar from the fruit dries beer out, no?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #440
mandasaurus_rex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just bottled this about a week ago, and the sample I took tasted fantastic. I know its warm out and almost summer but I can't wait until this is ready to drink.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.”

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AwesomeStation

Quick Reply