Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #401
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfocus View Post
Do you think adding the cocoa powder to the secondary. Would add a smoother more mellow chocolate flavor?? Brew nubie question
I think that's more a function of the amount of chocolate flavor. I like mine to grab your by the throat and scream "CHOCOLATE!!!!!" in your face. If you want mellow, back off on the cocoa powder. A lot. I feel like the boil really helps to bring the chocolate out of the cocoa powder. It roils around and seems to extract really well that way.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #402
fastfocus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

I'm like you i LOVE the chocolate favor. I was hoping to get to brewing today. Wife had honey do's.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #403
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've got blackberry bushes that are still putting out ripe berries and my daughter is getting tired of eating them. I'm thinking about taking 5 or 6 lbs of them and adding them to this brew. Double chocolate blackberry oatmeal snout...

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #404
fastfocus
Recipes 

Now that's sound tasty. I enjoy Buffalo Bill's Blueberry stout. I'm going to have to look over the fruit beers to see how that is done.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #405
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfocus View Post
Now that's sound tasty. I enjoy Buffalo Bill's Blueberry stout. I'm going to have to look over the fruit beers to see how that is done.
If you don't want to just find a recipe, what I like to do with something like that is to think about what you'd like to go with the blueberry, then find a recipe that fits that. That's actually how I came up with this one. I wanted the heavy duty cocoa flavor in it so I found a stout recipe to branch off of.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #406
Walshy87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this 3 weeks ago and had an OG of 1.078, 1st partial mash so I probably screwed it up, it is now at 1.04 for about last two weeks. Does that seem right? Or do you think it's maybe stuck?

Btw thanks for sharing the recipe!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #407
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Probably stuck. I'd try gently rousing the yeast. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl (not a shake or slosh) to get some of the yeast cake suspended. Also, make sure it's not getting too cold at night. It's been getting chilly in Seattle lately.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #408
Walshy87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I moved it from my garage to a closet for a more stable temp. Ill try a gentle stir. It's actually 1.030 not 1.040. Will there still be sugar conversion if mash is over 155 like 158?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #409
fastfocus
Recipes 

Ok, I finally got this one some kitchen time. Brewed this one last night. made a half batch 2 1/2gal. VERY thick and creamy. OG was 1.086. the program used to no calc og said 1.072. A little confused about that. Started with 3 gal of water ended bang on 2 1/2gal. Checked this morning ferm has started. Mash temp was 156 had a short spike up to 159.5. Pitching temp was 72. NOW The fourth day, No bubbles going throw airlock. Krausen is gone. Haven't checked gravity. Seems to soon. 2"+ of trub stuff on the bottom of the cab. Yoohoo in color.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #410
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I put this together yesterday. I followed the original recipe, and ended up with an OG of 1.073. I did try to get the most out of the grains, and substituted 1lb of LME for some DME, so that might have raised it. Oh, and I probably did 4oz. of lactose.

I bought an 8oz. container of cocoa powder, and used most of it, so probably 7oz, so hopefully it's more balanced than the original 9oz. the recipe called for.

When I tasted the hydro sample I just said to myself, "damn, I wish I had some whiskey for this", but I am not a whiskey drinker.

I'm planning on giving this as xmas presents if it works out. Anyone know how long this should be in the secondary, or should I just leave it until a few weeks before xmas?

Quick Reply