Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #341
verboten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat
If you want to try another trick with it, get a cake or brownie mix and use this instead of the water.
Oh my, I'll try that when I get home tomorrow night!

If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #342
pianoguitar
Recipes 

My LHBS had pale/pilsner LME instead of amber. I grabbed 0.2 lb of black patent to make up for the difference. Is this a good idea or would it throw off the flavor? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #343
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It'll change it some, but the cocoa dominates this beer so much it won't be that big of a difference, I think. I haven't really used black patent so I don't know from experience how strong of a flavor it imparts.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #344
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey chshrecat. Thanks for the recipe. Got 2 beers out of this. Bottled half and kegged the other half with cherry extract. Choco-Cherry Stout. About 6 wks old. Delicious.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 11-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #345
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569
Hey chshrecat. Thanks for the recipe. Got 2 beers out of this. Bottled half and kegged the other half with cherry extract. Choco-Cherry Stout. About 6 wks old. Delicious.
I'm racking to secondary this weekend with the vanilla bean that I have soaking in black cherry vodka (Effen). Hope I don't confuse the beer with the cherry! My options were that, regular or vanilla vodka, spiced rum, clear rum, or bourbon.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #346
pianoguitar
Recipes 

Not an urgent post:

Everything seemed to go well. I used 1 cup (about 4oz) of cocoa powder to play it safe. Initial gravity was 1.063 but may have been higher if I had stirred thoroughly (I was tired and forgot). However, it was my first BIAB partial mash. Within 6 hours, it bubbled fast and continued for 2.5 days. It smelled like fuggles which is nice but I had hoped for a chocolate cloud above my fermenter.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #347
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

4 ounces of cocoa won't make it as over the top as I usually make it, but it'll still have definite chocolate flavor.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #348
verboten
Recipes 

I made this at the request of my fiancée and we are just staring to break into it....damn it's GREAT,! Thanks a ton for making this up!

If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like

Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #349
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled mine a few days ago. I was surprised when I opened the secondary to see sort of a white cloudy substance on top. I hope it's just nothing, as it smelled like chocolate liquor. Really looking forward to enjoying this by Christmas.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #350
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks for the recipe Chshre! A bastardization of your recipe (forgot the oats at the LHBS and added a little lactose) placed 2nd in Stouts (8 entries) at the Badger Brew-Off. This being my second all grain batch I'm pretty pleased with it and can't wait for my scoresheet back. I'm going to definitely brew it again, the way it was meant to be. Although SWMBO really likes the lactose...and I'm on the fence. Anyway, cheers. Everyone loves it.

EDIT: By the way it was less than a month in bottles when it was judged. To me, this beer is excellent young. I think the lactose has something to do with that since it, along with the vanilla, sort of rounds out and softens the chocolate bitterness that, combined with the roastiness, could overpower a little when young.

Quick Reply