Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #321
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569 View Post
I knew that but I saw recipe somewhere on the recipe database that listed Cream.
Unless you're adding it to the glass, that's not going to work out well at all. I'm not going to want to drink cream that's been sitting at 70+ degrees for 3+ weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #322
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat

Unless you're adding it to the glass, that's not going to work out well at all. I'm not going to want to drink cream that's been sitting at 70+ degrees for 3+ weeks.
Gotcha, I think I'll stick to Lactose. No since in risking a bad batch. I always added lactose in the boil, obviously it's too late for that. I usually keg but am going to bottle prime this one. Add at bottling?? Recommended amount? Thanks.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #323
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Lactose can be added at any time in the process. Some folks will add a minimum amount to the boil, then add more to taste at bottling.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #324
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was great fun. I did the original post recipe yesterday.

Being my first mash, I did not have have the proper equipment. Or at least I didn't think I did. I tried putting my oats (quick oats) and grains in two grain bags and stuffing them into a pot with 2g of water. I got the temp to about 150 and put it in the oven for an hour. The temp did not hold well and was down to about 120 by the end.

Not knowing how it was going to turn out, I dumped my sacks into the 2g water in the pot and put it back on the burner, keeping it at 150-160 for another hour.

I went to the garage and found an old cooler. I scoured it with a brillo pad and then sanitized it good. When the mash was done, I poured it through a collander - the expandable rectangular kind - that I had placed over the cooler. After the grains drained into the cooler, I sparged with 3g of 150 degree water by pouring the water over the grains, letting them drain into the cooler.

Then I put the cooler on a chair and pulled the spigot, letting the wort pour into the brewing kettle. So basically, it was 5g of water minus whatever the grains absorbed.

After the hour boil, I cooled the wort, took a reading of 1.082(!), and transferred to the carboy. It needed another 2/3g of water to get it back to 5g. I don't know how much of that was boiled off vs soaked up by the grains. Anyone know how the water addition will affect the OG? I did not take another reading after that.

This was also my first time pitching with dry yeast. I did not hydrate it beforehand - just tossed it right in. The wort was a little less than 80 degrees at the time. Should I not have done that? I forgot to check in on it this morning before I left for work to see if there was any activity.

Overall, I was pleased that I ended up being able to mash without having to purchase any new equipment. It was really quite easy.

Thanks to all of you for the last few years' worth of comments on this thread! This one encouraged to try more all grain recipes.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #325
ericdaryl
Recipes 

Then I put the cooler on a chair and pulled the spigot, letting the wort pour into the brewing kettle. So basically, it was 5g of water minus whatever the grains absorbed.

After the hour boil, I cooled the wort, took a reading of 1.082(!), and transferred to the carboy. It needed another 2/3g of water to get it back to 5g. I don't know how much of that was boiled off vs soaked up by the grains. Anyone know how the water addition will affect the OG? I did not take another reading after that.

Adding that much water at the end is definitely going to drop your OG way down---off the top of my head, I'd guess 1.040. If you've got a pot (or pots) big enough, on your next batch you should start with 6.5 or 7 gallons of water total (split between mash and sparge) so that you don't have to add water at the end to make up for what you've lost to the grains and the boil. I end up using 3 pots during my process, even though I've got one that holds 5 gallons.

Hope it turns out for you!

Just had another bottle of this recipe yesterday (I've been Scrooge-ily saving them for months) and it's only getting better with time.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #326
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdaryl
Adding that much water at the end is definitely going to drop your OG way down---off the top of my head, I'd guess 1.040. If you've got a pot (or pots) big enough, on your next batch you should start with 6.5 or 7 gallons of water total (split between mash and sparge) so that you don't have to add water at the end to make up for what you've lost to the grains and the boil. I end up using 3 pots during my process, even though I've got one that holds 5 gallons.
Ouch! I hope I didn't murder my OG that badly. It really didn't seem like much topping-off water at all, 2.5 quarts I guess. If it's really down to 1.040, then it will sap 5% off my abv!

Obviously, I should have taken another hydrometer sample after adding a little water. But next time, I'll try your suggestion of starting with more water in the mash and sparge.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #327
ericdaryl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihaus View Post
Ouch! I hope I didn't murder my OG that badly. It really didn't seem like much topping-off water at all, 2.5 quarts I guess. If it's really down to 1.040, then it will sap 5% off my abv!

Obviously, I should have taken another hydrometer sample after adding a little water. But next time, I'll try your suggestion of starting with more water in the mash and sparge.
Your post above had you adding "2/3g" which I took to be GALLONS. So, yeah, adding 3 gallons of clear water to get to 5 gallons really will cut your OG way down, but adding 2/3 quarts shouldn't hit it that hard. You ought to be fine. Again, off the top of my head, but I'd guess around 1.070 or so.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

It does take a few rounds to tweak your process so that you start out with the right amount of water and end with the right amount of beer! One of my saddest HB moments came when I had about 3-4 quarts of extra beer that fit into my primary bucket but wouldn't go home to the secondary carboy. Painful to watch it circle the drain!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #328
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdaryl

Your post above had you adding "2/3g" which I took to be GALLONS. So, yeah, adding 3 gallons of clear water to get to 5 gallons really will cut your OG way down, but adding 2/3 quarts shouldn't hit it that hard. You ought to be fine. Again, off the top of my head, but I'd guess around 1.070 or so.
Oh, by "2/3g" I meant "two-thirds of a gallon," which is a little more than 2.5 quarts I think. I'll be pleased if I didn't drop below 1.070 since that is the target.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 AM   #329
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In the future, you wanna take your gravity reading after you top up to your final volume and mix it really well. I'm sure you're doing quite well so far.

I always used to sprinkled dry yeast right onto the wort until I learned I should hydrate it first. I hydrate now and (to be honest) haven't noticed any difference in how it acts but still hydrate because it's an easy thing to do and stacks the odds of good beer slightly more in my favor.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #330
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat
In the future, you wanna take your gravity reading after you top up to your final volume and mix it really well. I'm sure you're doing quite well so far.

I always used to sprinkled dry yeast right onto the wort until I learned I should hydrate it first. I hydrate now and (to be honest) haven't noticed any difference in how it acts but still hydrate because it's an easy thing to do and stacks the odds of good beer slightly more in my favor.
Still shots of fermenting beer are particularly boring. But here's where it's at. I came home yesterday and the airlock was busy clicking, fermenting at 71-72 degrees. Interesting that there was almost no krausen head. It was fizzing like an active bottle of Coke. This morning it's at 70 degrees and had slowed down quite a bit until I kicked it a couple times.
image-3942397246.jpg  

Quick Reply