Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #311
XtremeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've brewed this recipe, but couldn't find the cocoa that Cat used. I tried Here's and it was too bitter. I used 8oz of cacao nibs the second time and it was fantastic. 8oz is a lot, but the taste was amazing. Love this brew. Thanks Cat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #312
Sibem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtd6628
Yes it is fine to top it off at the end of boil i find the only affect that is notable is the IBUs will be less but not to noticeable.
Yes crush the grains.
Interesting. I was just reading about the effect of hops utilization in a denser wort. In fact, I've just found and play with the equation that evaluate the IBU considering boiling time and density of the boil. It is in the John Palmer's book. Thanks a lot for your enlightening comments. My guess is that in this recipe, the quantity of hops is for a smaller boil, may be 2.5 or even 3 gal, and the IBU is evaluated with this consideration in mind.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #313
Sibem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Yep. Uncrushed grains will do nothing for you. Partial boil batches are always topped up with water to get your final volume.
Thanks a lot, now everything is clearer for me. This recipe will be very interesting to do. Thanks a lot for posting it. One more thing: I lived in south florida. For the primary fermentation, I can use a big tub with ice bottle to keep the temperature around 68-70. After the first week of active fermentation, do you think I could keep the primary fermenter at room temperature for the additional 2 weeks? In my home-office, the A/C keep the temp at 72F. Should be fine, no?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #314
Jtd6628
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yeah I do the same thing in eastern NC just water bath with frozen bottles of water for like the first 10 days of fermentation at 65 degrees then I take it out and let it stay at room room temp which for me is around 78 ( i am a poor 24 year old so 78 is as much as i can spend on ac from july to september) until I hit 3 week mark then I bottle. I have made good beer this way. Other people might have other opinions though but just try it once and if you like it do the same way again if you dont change the method.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #315
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually just wrap a wet towel around my carboy and that helps keep the temp around 70-72 with no problem.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #316
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Tub of water and ice bottles works wonders. I kept a beer in the 60's with it was triple digits with no ac.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #317
bobz32
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this recipe today! First time doing a partial mash, think it went pretty well. Ended up with an OG of 1.073 ish. I eyeballed the last pound of LME, so I may have added a little more. I probably didn't have the most consistent mash temp, so if it ends up with less fermentables and a slightly higher FG, I am fine.

Used 8oz of cocoa powder. Couldn't find any non-fat in time, though. Oh well!

Also, I used the Northern Brewer's NeoBritania Wyeast instead. Should be some good stuff, thanks!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #318
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this today. It was all-grain and I also used 8 oz cocoa. Damn that's chocolatey. It's for a good friends wedding. He requested a chocolate stout. I hope it's not too much. I came in at 1.080. Haven't figured it yet, but that's really good eff. ,specially being rushed. I had a birthday party to go to. Pulled it off in just over 3.5 hours. I'm siked. Thanks for the base recipe. Anybody adding cream at bottling/kegging? What kind,how much and where to get it?? Thanks.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #319
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Cream stouts don't actually have cream in them. You use lactose and you can get it at your LHBS.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #320
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat
Cream stouts don't actually have cream in them. You use lactose and you can get it at your LHBS.
I knew that but I saw recipe somewhere on the recipe database that listed Cream.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Quick Reply