Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #271
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That could definitely be it. Next time, have the HBS crush the grains for you. You'll get much better results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #272
Pandaren
Recipes 

So I've got this bottled for just over 2 weeks now and cracked one open on Saturday....absolutely no head on it. I looked back at my notes and remembered that I used Hershey's cocoa powder (not fat free) and also used 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract in secondary. I realize its still really young, but will it develop *any* head maybe? Also was a bit thinner of a mouthfeel than I was expecting. Again just needs more conditioning maybe? I'm in college in a small apartment, so it fermented a little high---near 70-73 degrees for the most part.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #273
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll be yours isn't quite carbonated yet. This is just a little on the high side ABV wise and might take a little longer. Give it a few more weeks and keep it in the 70's. The make sure you chill your test bottle for 48 hours before opening it.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #274
Pandaren
Recipes 

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Out of curiosity, what does keeping it chilled for 48 hours do?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #275
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

When you naturally carbonate a bottle of beer, the CO2 released by the yeast builds up in the head space between the top of the beer and the cap. Warm liquids can hold less dissolved CO2 than cold liquids, so at the time you put the beer in the fridge, a large percentage of your CO2 is just sitting in that dead space.

As the beer cools, it will start taking up more and more of that CO2 into the liquid. After 48 hours you can be pretty sure that the liquid has taken up all the CO2 that it can. If you open the beer before it absorbs that CO2, it just escapes. You get a nice, satisfying PSSSST when you open the bottle, but then don't get as many bubbles and therefore less head.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #276
Pandaren
Recipes 

Awesome! Never knew

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #277
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've been alternating between my Oatmeal Snout and Kona's Coco Loco coconut brown ale tonight and it's inspired me. I'm going to add toasted coconut to my recipe and make a Mounds Bar beer.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #278
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I've been alternating between my Oatmeal Snout and Kona's Coco Loco coconut brown ale tonight and it's inspired me. I'm going to add toasted coconut to my recipe and make a Mounds Bar beer.
oh sweet lord. That sounds like something I should try soon.
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #279
zcaad9
Recipes 

Drinking one of these right now, Disappointed by the thinness, but delicious

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #280
Wicked_Magik
Recipes 

Brewed this 2 weeks ago. Have had the vanilla bean soaking in Gentlemen Jack for about a week. Can't wait to get this onto the bourbon/vanilla for a week then into the bottle.

Edit: Took a grav reading Yesterday (2.5 weeks) and was at 1.020. I would imagine this is the FG but I'll take another one when i rack just to make sure. I then tasted it. HOLY MOTHER OF ALL CHOCOLATE. I thought it tasted amazing. The wife loved the way it smelled, and liked the taste but said it was just a little bit too bitter up front. I assume the vanilla bean will cut a little bit out of it and it should mellow out to an excellent beer.

Can't wait for this to be done!!!!

2nd EDIT: Well... My first mistake. Just racked it to secondary bucket out of a carboy. Hmmm, that level looks a little low... WTF? So apparently I only had 4 gallons of wart in the carboy (bought the carboy for this batch, in my excitement, I forgot to mark where 5 gallons is). Other than RDWHAHB, should I wait the week and bottle as is, or add the gallon of water to my bottling bucket?

Secondary: Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Bottled: True Brew Pilsner
On Deck: Irish Red Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein,

Last edited by Wicked_Magik; 04-10-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply