Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #181
garyhood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

More questions.. my lhbs.. is interesting.. they do things a little different here in New Zealand.. but i could not get Fuggles here would Nz syrian goldings (alpha 6.4) work as a good substitute? If so since it is a little higher with a 6.4 than the recommend fuggles how much would i put in?
thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #182
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

D4rren: 6-row has more enzymes. I use it in my Brown Biscuit, but the 2-row works just fine in this recipe. In this one I'm riding a bit on the outside of what it can convert, but it works just fine.

garyhood: if you drop it hops to 1.5 oz, it should work fine with those hops. They're in the boil for a full 60, so you aren't getting much for flavor or aroma if anything. They're just there for a little bitterness. The cocoa powder dominates the flavor of this one.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 AM   #183
d4rren
Recipes 

2 row it is

So for the the mash in general. Does the "wort" that is created from the mash need to already be mixed in while I am steeping my other grains? Or can I do both at the same time and add the "wort" from the mash when I go to do the boil? ya know, to save a little time :P

Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #184
Mooselie
Recipes 

Tasted it tonight when bottling. Awesome!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #185
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rren View Post
2 row it is

So for the the mash in general. Does the "wort" that is created from the mash need to already be mixed in while I am steeping my other grains? Or can I do both at the same time and add the "wort" from the mash when I go to do the boil? ya know, to save a little time :P
All the grains go in at once and mash together. 2-row, oats, crystal, chocolate and barley all go in the mash. Drain that off, sparge, drain again and start your boil. Throw in your hops at start of boil and add the LME when you have 15 minutes left.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #186
garyhood
Recipes 

This one is in the books. First batch for me..done in New Zealand Wonder if I am the furthermost Brewer to make this batch. I received a 1.63 reading but that I am sure is to the fact I used about .5 lb less extract. Only had two cans of the Amber.. That is ok.. I can deal with a little less alcohol on this guy. It should be really interesting. I think I should have went with more hops.. I used the Nz Goldings.. but we will see Always can do more in the next batch.. now let the waiting begin.. Thanks again for putting this recipe up! Now time to go to Bed 2am here New Zealand time..

Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #187
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Don't sweat the hops. They really take a backseat in this brew. If I wanted to experiment with the recipe, I think I could make this without any hops whatsoever.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #188
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Been 20 days in primary on mine. Just added my vanilla bean, tossed it in the primary. Got the vanilla bean from http://www.beanilla.com/ Looks and smells like a quality product, cheap too.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #189
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got my scoresheets back from NHC yesterday and it proved that this is a beer for bitter dark chocolate lovers and not for normal people.

They kept putting notes that it had too much cocoa and not enough hops or malt flavor. So, this isn't a competition beer. Just one to enjoy because I like it the way it IS! This one's just for me and my chocolate lovin' friends. It's CHOCOLATE BEER not beer with chocolate in it.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #190
mixmasterob
Recipes 

have you had young's double chocolate stout? how does it compare?

Quick Reply