Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #961
PuppetmanInBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Found it to be a bit thin

I've made this a few times, and really liked it, but I want to increase the mouthfeel. I just emptied my keg of the last of it, and I'm about to brew again.

Anyone have any thoughts on making it a bit thicker?

I was thinking of either increasing the mash temp to 158-162 to get more dextrins. Or I could replace the 2-row with munich. Or I could add some oats or rye (which would also improve the head).

Or I could do a bit of all three - raise the mash temp to 156, replace 1lb of the 2-row with munich, and throw in 8 oz of oats.

I am also going to increase the grain bill and try to get a higher ABV - it's a Christmas beer, and you should have a red nose after a couple of pints.

Comments welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #962
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetmanInBC View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on making it a bit thicker?

Comments welcome.
The common consensus is that it can use a full pound of lactose (a more typical amount for sweet stouts). You could also mash higher, probably wouldn't hurt. Depends on how thick you want to go. Also depends on whether you want a milky or a more malty sweetness. Lactose will make it thicker, without a doubt.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #963
berninga87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just got finished brewing this, pretty excited with all the positive comments about it! Because of the fermentor I'm using (4 gal PETE water jug) and the sizes of DME available at my LHBS (1 and 3 lbs), I adjusted the recipe to 3.3 gal. so I could use the whole bags of DME. With that conversion I stuck to the original recipe except for the lactose which I doubled as has been mentioned before. I also added Irish moss toward the end of the boil and used wyeast 1084. I really just want a thick and tasty beer I can sip on and enjoy and I think this should get me there. I had an O.G. of 1.060 which I think is about right? Had my first boil over too....minor because I caught it as it first started to jump up and took the pot off the burner so I spared my floor of any wort, but still a facepalm moment. Lost very little wort and otherwise all went really well. This was my 4th brew. I'll post updates when the beer is further along!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #964
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Brewing this today using Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) yeast with a 2L starter. Waiting to drink it is always the hardest part! The extract ingredients were going to cost over $60 at Northern Brewer, but got all the AG ingredients for $42 including shipping.

Fermenting/Secondary: Bell's Two Hearted Clone / / Ancient Orange Mead

www.boykingbrewhaus.com | Untappd: bredle

Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #965
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

5 1/2 gallons in the fermenter. I'm anticipating an aggressive fermentation based on prior posts. I largely went with the original AG recipe with 7lbs base malt and .75lbs lactose.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #966
ArchersgameBrewery
Recipes 

Just kegged and tried this beer, turned out great highly recommend it. Had to substitute hops for Galena with 13.2%aa because my local homebrew store didn't have the original hops that this recipe called for. Also not sure how but my original gravity ended up at 1.078, it fermented out to 1.021.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #967
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have all the ingredients for this. Going to make a couple changes though. Going with Pale Chocolate in place of the Chocolate malt. Black barley in place of roasted barley and adding .5lb munich malt and going with 1lb of lactose from the recommendations. I have some washed wlp002 from a porter, i got good attenuation in that brew so should be good.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #968
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Time Lapse

This is a pretty dark beer, but I decided to do a time lapse video of the first 5 days of fermentation. It's interesting to watch the fermentation pick up, see the bubbles behind the clock in the sanitized water, watch the temperature pick up during fermentation, and of course watch the yeast cake develop on the bottom.

http://youtu.be/oZRxDb63_dY
I'm blogging my brew days now here:

http://boykingbrewhaus.com/?p=217

Really looking forward to drinking this one in February sometime!

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #969
IMXELITE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredle View Post
This is a pretty dark beer, but I decided to do a time lapse video of the first 5 days of fermentation. It's interesting to watch the fermentation pick up, see the bubbles behind the clock in the sanitized water, watch the temperature pick up during fermentation, and of course watch the yeast cake develop on the bottom.

http://youtu.be/oZRxDb63_dY

I'm blogging my brew days now here:

http://boykingbrewhaus.com/?p=217

Really looking forward to drinking this one in February sometime!
Nice video and website. I love watching the time lapse of the fermentation. It always makes me want to brew more beer.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #970
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Brewed this on Sunday and checked on it Tuesday morning to find no sign of yeast activity, decided to button the bucket back up and give it more time, using WLP002 and it's apparently known to be a slow starter. I was a little worried since i'm using washed yeast that I store in an outside fridge and temps have been -20+ with windchills. Last night the sound from the blow off bucket was like a machine gun, yeast must be having a big old party in there, I use plastic buckets so I don't get to see the show

I thought about opening it up and trying to top crop some yeast. I got 81% attenuation from this yeast on a porter I made, which for the strain that seems to be exceptional. I still have another large mason jar with enough yeast to split into to White Labs tubes. This yeast doesn't seem to get much attention, not sure why. I'll see how it finishes on this brew, if it does close to what it did on the porter I'll be keeping this one around for English styles, porters, and stouts.

Quick Reply