Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #921
Fett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've going to attempt this recipe as my first BIAB, and I have a couple questions.

Is the all grain recipe good for BIAB, or do I need to increase the base grain? I've read some people will increase the base grain when adjusting an all grain recipe for BIAB in order to increase efficiency.

Any recommendations for strike temp, and mash out temp? I'm trying to use beersmith for the first time and I'm a little confused about what I need to enter to get these temperatures.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #922
Irishwhiskey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett View Post
I've going to attempt this recipe as my first BIAB, and I have a couple questions.

Is the all grain recipe good for BIAB, or do I need to increase the base grain? I've read some people will increase the base grain when adjusting an all grain recipe for BIAB in order to increase efficiency.

Any recommendations for strike temp, and mash out temp? I'm trying to use beersmith for the first time and I'm a little confused about what I need to enter to get these temperatures.

Thanks.
I do BIAB and there is no need to increase the malts. you might consider double crushing your grains that helped my efficiency. My local Homebrew store recommended mashing at 156 so that would be a 168 strike temperature. And I will use about 18 quarts of water and than fly sparge (rinse the grains) with another 2 gallons roughly to get my target boil of 6.5 gallons

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #923
Goodyear
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I brewed the AG version of this last night. The only changes I made were: I used warrior hops because I had an ounce, I used the full pound of lactose and I used WLP013. Hit my numbers and had it chilled and in a carboy by 10pm. I woke up at 4:40 this morning to finish cleaning the kitchen and when I checked on the beer it was already chugging away. I am really glad I took the advice of all the people who said "Use a blow-off tube". I've never had one take off so fast or strong. It smells a lot like coffee down there.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #924
MrFeltimo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 37

[QUOTE It smells a lot like coffee down there.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, there's an ointment for that you know.

Kegged:Blond Ale.
Future brews: Edworts Robust Porter.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #925
Fett
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I did this as my first BIAB. 5.5 batch 1.065 OG. 73% efficiency. Not bad for my first time doing BIAB, I barely even made any mistakes! After about 24 hours I have a small krausen, but nothing compared to some of the comments I've seen in this thread. I'm hoping it continues to pick up, because this will be the first time I'll actually need a blow off tube if so.

Some pics for your enjoyment.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #926
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My 1st time brewing this. All Grain. I just discovered stouts. I love 'em. Not everyday, it's got to be perfect. Winter is the time. I've never had an oatmeal stout, or a breakfast stout. I've had coffee stouts & cream stouts.

This smells terrific! And you're right, a blow off tube was mandatory. I'm going to age it 2 months before I drink it from the keg. It will be ready in December.

I can't wait.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #927
IMXELITE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett View Post
So I did this as my first BIAB. 5.5 batch 1.065 OG. 73% efficiency. Not bad for my first time doing BIAB, I barely even made any mistakes! After about 24 hours I have a small krausen, but nothing compared to some of the comments I've seen in this thread. I'm hoping it continues to pick up, because this will be the first time I'll actually need a blow off tube if so.

Some pics for your enjoyment.
How do you have your fermentation heater hooked up? temp controller?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #928
IMXELITE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm about to make this beer doing an extract and I wanted to know how much water should I boil? Beersmith tells me to start off with 6.46 gal pre-boil. However I'm concerned I won't be able to reach that boil using my electric stove. I have an 8 gallon kettle. Also I was looking to up the lactose to 1lb and Wheat and Amber extract to 2lb and 5lb just to boost the abv. My new calculated SG should be 1.07. Would I need to adjust my hops if adding more DME and lactose?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #929
Fett
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXELITE View Post
How do you have your fermentation heater hooked up? temp controller?
Temperature control is fine. I was using an oxygen tank and diffusion stone for the first time with this batch and didn't give it enough oxygen, so I'm pretty sure that's why the krausen was so smell. Oh well, it'll still be (decent) beer when it's all done.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #930
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will be doing a yeast starter 1st time. Thought I was going to do an extract recipe, but changed my mind, last minutes. 5# DME, 2# wheat DME, 2# Maris Otter. A bit higher ABV, hope it turns out as good as the original.

Quick Reply