Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #901
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibboy View Post
My take on this:

Malts: You aren't really changing too much of the recipe. You are really only changing the base malts of the recipe and leaving the specialty grains in-tact. You might change how the mouthfeel and general body of the beer but for most part you are going to have close to the same thing. No matter what though you'll end up with a sweet stout.

As for he hops: you will get a bit more IBUs using .75ozs of 16%AAU hops so you could scale that down some to try to equal the amount of IBUs from .75oz of 13.4%AAU. The hop selection is not going to matter so much, so long as you are using a good, clean bittering hop and only add it at 60min.

Yeast: yeast in a recipe like this is key. The yeast is going to determine more of the flavor profile than anything else. As the OP said 1028 would be a choice of theirs. That should be fine for this recipe.

If you wanted to try to get it closer to the original, up your Amber DME to 4.5lbs and drop your Wheat DME to 1.5. If you only do one of these, I'd say drop the wheat some. Equal parts Amber + Wheat is the base for a wheat beer, but in this you are looking for the more malty side of things so the wheat might not help with that. IMO.

I agree here. Secondary for this beer isn't necessary if you are going to be keeping it in a fermenter for under 2 months. If you want to go beyond three months though I would try to get it off of the yeast into a secondary with very little to no headspace. This not only frees up your fermenter but also helps to reduce the off flavors from extended contact with yeast.

My suggestion: primary 6 weeks, then bottle age it for the remaining 4.5 months mgr_stl.
Thanks for the feedback.

Brewed Thursday evening.

The change to the 50/50 blend of the extracts was based on the size bags my LHBS had.

Did end up scaling back the summit hops to 0.5 oz.

Pitched at about 11:30 pm and had the start of a kraussen when I checked before 8:00 am the next morning. Guess the "starter" is aptly named.

Fermenting in a 68 degree basement in a swamp cooler, and from my measurements the beer is 67-68 degrees. Had to put on a blowoff tube about 24 hours after pitching because the kraussen had entered the airlock. 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #902
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
The extra bitterness will help. You might also consider adding some cocoa nibs and/or coffee for additional bitterness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkavitch View Post
lactose isnt so much for residual sweetness as it is for body and mouthfeel. Taste a little bit of it, you wont find it to be very sweet at all. The wort is sweet cause its wort...thats how it is supposed to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
For Brew-Dog, i agree with Bleme, try adding some coffee, that will help balance some of the sweetness if its not to ur liking.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's bubbling away right now, just added a blowoff because it's getting dangerously close to the top of the carboy.

I'll take a sample in a few weeks, if it's too sweet (for me), I'll look into adding some coffee.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #903
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl

Thanks for the feedback.

Brewed Thursday evening.

The change to the 50/50 blend of the extracts was based on the size bags my LHBS had.

Did end up scaling back the summit hops to 0.5 oz.

Pitched at about 11:30 pm and had the start of a kraussen when I checked before 8:00 am the next morning. Guess the "starter" is aptly named.

Fermenting in a 68 degree basement in a swamp cooler, and from my measurements the beer is 67-68 degrees. Had to put on a blowoff tube about 24 hours after pitching because the kraussen had entered the airlock. 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy.
Glad to hear things went smoothly and that those yeasties are off to a great start! Do keep us informed of your progress and results! I'd love to hear how the 50/50 DME situation pans out.

I'll be brewing my own interpretation on this recipe tomorrow!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #904
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Just had another Deception after a month in the bottle. I'll jump in with another vote to put a full pound of lactose in instead of the 0.5 lb indicated in the recipe - it is very good but a tad thin. The lactose doesn't really make it sweet so much as make it "creamy".

Other than that I wouldn't change anything else - it is excellent and is aging nicely.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #905
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Just bought the all grain stuff to try this one out. Not sure on my yeast yet got a pack of dry yeast or going to try PAC man harvest.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #906
mrjaked
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I went a little crazy and put oak chips in the secondary, has anyone done this w this recipe. I bottled last Thursday and cracked one today it's a little "woody" does it go away w time?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #907
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaked
I went a little crazy and put oak chips in the secondary, has anyone done this w this recipe. I bottled last Thursday and cracked one today it's a little "woody" does it go away w time?
From what I know oak will mellow with time. Besides that you only bottled this last Thursday so it probably needs more time to really let all the flavors mellow. How long was primary and secondary?

My plans for my own adapted version uses a 30 day primary followed by a two month minimum bottle conditioning time and that is with out any oak chips or anything else added. I'd assume yours could benefit from an extended bottle aging as well.

I have only used oak chips once before, so if someone could correct me if I'm wrong that would be helpful.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #908
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Doing this in the morning AllGrain. Hope it's as good as every one said!!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #909
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileisdad
Doing this in the morning AllGrain. Hope it's as good as every one said!!
Don't be surprised when its better than expected

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #910
mrjaked
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

primary was 2 weeks secondary was 1 week. been in a bottle for a week.

Quick Reply