Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #731
Dabbers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth
I just made a trip to the LHBS and picked up all the ingredients... Gonna brew it soon, maybe this weekend. I decided to add a vanilla bean (maybe 2?) to secondary for about one week. Hope to get a somewhat-sessionable (almost "dessert-ish") beer. Really looking forward to trying this one!
Vanilla sounds good! As for making this a session beer, it would have to be a very short session for me :-). My ABV is over 6%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #732
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbers View Post
Vanilla sounds good! As for making this a session beer, it would have to be a very short session for me :-). My ABV is over 6%.
Mine is targeted to finish at 5.8% (if it attenuates as far as expected!). The fermenter is bubbling right now. I guess that may be a little high to be truly "sessionable", but at least I will be able to have 2 or 3 at a time without falling out of my chair!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #733
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed the extract version of this today and followed the recipe exactly as written. My OG came out to 1.063. Anyone else getting slightly higher OGs than what the original recipe states (1.058)? I'm not really worried about it, just wondering.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #734
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113
Just brewed the extract version of this today and followed the recipe exactly as written. My OG came out to 1.063. Anyone else getting slightly higher OGs than what the original recipe states (1.058)? I'm not really worried about it, just wondering.
Just brewed this again and it finished around 1.063 as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #735
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
I actually forgot to check my OG. I will just have to trust that it is accurate. Since I brewed with extract, it is not likely that that I "missed" the OG.

Oh well, we will see how it tastes in a few weeks!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #736
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I had been drinking mine straight out of the refrigerator, however I had a New Glarus Brewing "Coffee Stout" the other night and the info on the label suggested drinking it at room temp. It was YUMMY...so I had a DCS the next night at a cool room temp...and it was YUMMIER! Amazing how temp changes taste!

glenn514

Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #737
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

A few weeks might not be long enough. The first time I brewed this, the beer tasted the best at 3 months.

It will be hard not to drink it all at 2 weeks tho

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #738
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

If it tastes really good at 2 weeks, it probably will not make it to 3 months. I had a friend help me with the ingredients cost, so I have to give 1/2 away, right off the top. I guess I will see how far I can make 2.5 gallons go!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #739
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the gravity issues mentioned above. I just added water until I hit the OG. More water usually means more beer in my opinion. Just don't get it too full since it has a pretty hardcore fermentation. Any issues with doing this?

I would think it might finish sweeter with a higher sugar content when it has a higher OG. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #740
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles
On the gravity issues mentioned above. I just added water until I hit the OG. More water usually means more beer in my opinion. Just don't get it too full since it has a pretty hardcore fermentation. Any issues with doing this?

I would think it might finish sweeter with a higher sugar content when it has a higher OG. Anyone else wanna chime in?
My club did an experiment comparing a full boil and partial boil beer. The difference was striking. So much so that I haven't topped off my fermentor since.

Quick Reply