Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #631
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Roasted malts, especially chocolate malt, can vary considerably based on origin/maltster. I like to use a darker chocolate malt for this recipe. That should help. For the hops, I don't know why your number isn't coming out the same. I used beersmith when I originally posted this recipe, but I no longer use it because I actually didn't find it to be as accurate as my Brew Pal iPhone app for my system. I think as long as you get close to 30 IBU you should be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #632
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Thank you for the reply and for sharing the recipe. I will follow the recipe as is. I'm probably gonna brew this soon so come fall its ready. How long do you let this one condition before its at it's peak?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #633
hulkavitch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think it is mentioned in the post a couple of times that this needs 2-3 months.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #634
wolfareno

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I brewed this yesterday, and everything came out great. I followed the extract recipe exactly, but I still had an OG of 1.070, so I'm not sure where I went wrong. Maybe I just didn't mix well when I added my ~.5 gallon of water to top it up.

A good friend of mine is deployed right now, and he can't brew, so I made a silly video of me brewing this recipe. You can watch it on Youtube. I know it's not great, but I had fun making it, and I think the vid will make my buddy laugh. (We're not gay, but the "dickie dance" was an old gag that he always pulled out (pun?) when he got drunk.)

Thanks again to NCBeernut and everyone else who has posted tips.

Oh, and I used a single 11g sachet of US-05, which Mr. Malty said would be slightly underpitching. It's bubbling away right now, so I hope it finishes well.

Cheers,
Wolf

Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #635
darm0v
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfareno View Post
Hey guys, I brewed this yesterday, and everything came out great. I followed the extract recipe exactly, but I still had an OG of 1.070, so I'm not sure where I went wrong. Maybe I just didn't mix well when I added my ~.5 gallon of water to top it up.
I have brewed an extract version of this twice. I used LME instead of DME and my OGs have been high both times. My second brew was 1.068. BrewTarget says that 6 lbs of Amber LME and 1 lb of Wheat LME will give me an OG of 1.061. I used 6 lbs of Amber, and 2 lbs of Wheat and measured 1.068. So maybe scale back your Wheat DME until you hit the target gravity. Can you buy LME locally? My total bill for my second brew was $43.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #636
wolfareno

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darm0v View Post
I have brewed an extract version of this twice. I used LME instead of DME and my OGs have been high both times. My second brew was 1.068. BrewTarget says that 6 lbs of Amber LME and 1 lb of Wheat LME will give me an OG of 1.061. I used 6 lbs of Amber, and 2 lbs of Wheat and measured 1.068. So maybe scale back your Wheat DME until you hit the target gravity. Can you buy LME locally? My total bill for my second brew was $43.
I'm not sure my LHBS has LME, but I think you are right about the wheat causing it to be off. I think my wheat DME was 65/35. It's hard to say what I paid for mine. I ordered several grain bills together from Austin Homebrew. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #637
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Hey all, it's been awhile since this thread has had any posts. I've got this one in primary now. About two weeks in. Love the tastes I've gotten off it so far. I have to say I think I found its clone. Has anyone had buffalo sweat? I'm in Little Rock, Ar and I just tried it. It's uncanny from what I sampled with my DCS. if it's anything like this I will be a happy camper.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #638
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me_plz
Hey all, it's been awhile since this thread has had any posts. I've got this one in primary now. About two weeks in. Love the tastes I've gotten off it so far. I have to say I think I found its clone. Has anyone had buffalo sweat? I'm in Little Rock, Ar and I just tried it. It's uncanny from what I sampled with my DCS. if it's anything like this I will be a happy camper.
Interesting... We are in Tallgrass' primary market here in KC and I have had Buffalo Sweat a few times. From what I remember it was nothing like Deception. I'll have to try a side by side to be sure, though.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #639
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroberts

Interesting... We are in Tallgrass' primary market here in KC and I have had Buffalo Sweat a few times. From what I remember it was nothing like Deception. I'll have to try a side by side to be sure, though.
What kind of differences do you taste? This is my first brewed stout. I'm thinking the age affects the taste way more than I realize. how do you compare the DCS after two months?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #640
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me_plz

What kind of differences do you taste? This is my first brewed stout. I'm thinking the age affects the taste way more than I realize. how do you compare the DCS after two months?
I'd have to try it again to point out the differences. Its probably been a year since I had it last.

DCS improves quite a bit with age. It really settled into its own after about 6 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply