Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #531
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

How funny I pulled my first pint of this tonight as well. I followed the recipe to see if I would experiment later and I have to say its pretty awesome. Mine is carbed perfect and has a super soft mouth feel with lots of great flavor this may be my new favorite cream stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #532
dandw12786
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm brewing this up this weekend, and just got everything from my LHBS. They didn't have Denny's yeast, so I'm looking for a good substitute. I have British ale, American ale, and midwests headwaters ale. Will any of these work well?

Disagreement Brewing

Primary: American Wheat

Conditioning: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde

Ready to drink: Biscuits and Honey Amber Ale

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #533
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The american ale (ok, I used US-05) turned out pretty good

Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #534
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 105

This is a great recipe.

I just brewed it again with minor changes at the request of SWMBO. She likes sweeter stouts so I upped the lactose to 1lb. and used 1318 yeast. The changes are good but I prefer the original recipe. Wife likes the new batch.

I might brew another batch of the original for me..........Have to keep this around if I can, but it goes fast.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #535
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just bottled this up tonight, the differences in my recipe being an even 3 lbs of both DME's and US-05 yeast. Gotta say, even at bottling with 0 carb this stout is excellent. Can't wait for it carb up. Hopefully I put the right amount of priming sugar in it.. Never carbed a milk stout before. Also my OG was 1.061 and my FG didn't get down to 1.02 like I had hoped. Hard to read totally accurately of course but it's probably 1.024.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #536
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Well it's been 10 days in the primary now and I took my first hydrometer reading - 1.028. OG was 1.067 so I think I still have a little ways to go. Also, temp the first few days was about 68 but it just got really cold here in Chicago the last 2 days so now it is more like 61 F in there. I used Wyeast 1028 with a temp range of 60-72 F so I should be good still but hoping that the FG gets closer to 1.015-1.020.

The real problem is that I don't know how much longer I can wait before bottling these up. I took a sip of the hydrometer sample after measuring and ended up finishing the whole thing, it just tasted so damn good!!! I don't know how many of these I'll be "sharing" with people. I think I need to start another batch asap so I can hand out a different brew as christmas gifts.

Hip Check Brewing Company

Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #537
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Had several of these out of the bottle now, not yet fully carbed. It is indeed very pleasant, but somehow lacking, at the least the batch that I made. It really doesn't hit you up front with anything at all.. It's just smooth body until the aftertaste when you get hit with the chocolate and caramel.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #538
cablgy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
If you are making a 2.5 gallon batch, then yes, cut the lactose in half. If you are making a 5 gallon batch but only boiling 2.5 gallons, then no... leave the lactose level the same.
Ok, so I've been reading through this thread and I have all of my ingredients ready to go for this brew. Small mistake on my steeping grains and wound up with an extra 0.25lb of Roasted Barley... hopefully not too big of an issue.

I am still very new to brewing and I'm used to the Extract brews of 2.5 Gal boil/5 Gal batch. Now I'm confused though... Do I need to adjust the Hops from the original recipe? I guess I'm still not fully understanding the "hops utilization" thing.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #539
cablgy
Recipes 

Well, I brewed up this batch a couple days ago. I have decided that I definitely need to invest in a bigger pot. The DME foamed up so much that I was constantly fighting to prevent boil-over. So much so that I forgot to add my hops in right away and didnt get that into the boil until 20 minuted later. Anybody have an idea on how that will affect my brew?

One other thing to note... my OG measured 1.072! Not too worried about it all, but any comments or thoughts on what could have gone awry?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #540
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing carbed. It's my first kegged batch, so the learning curve is pretty steep at this point, for me. First I overcarbed, so all I'd get was a pint of foam out of the tap. I tried the burst carb technique and I think I over did it.

So vented all CO2 from the beer over the course of two days and then decided to use the "set and forget" method. My kegerator sits at 38*F (I know, too high for a stout, but I'm still dialing it in), so I set the regulator to 10psi for a target of around 2.3-2.4 vols. It's been around 8 days since I set and forgot it. I pulled a pint tonight and it is about half as carbed as I'd want. I guess there is more forgetting to do. ;-)

Otherwise, this beer tastes good. It doesn't have the thick/silky mouthfeel I was expecting, kind of thin, I guess. It definitely nailed the sweet part of the sweet stout. Not a bitter note to be heard of. The hops I used were getting a little old, so maybe they didn't have the AA power that they normally would. Although I remember a significant bitterness from the hydro sample before it went into the fermenter. Weird.

Anyway, long story short, I'm still working on getting this beer where it should be. Wish me luck.

A pic of the pint as I write this. Not much head, unfortunately.

Quick Reply