Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #31
Absolut_Ninja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

do you shop at american brewmaster or online? i want to try this one soon even though it will warm up when its done. tis my way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #32
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut_Ninja View Post
do you shop at american brewmaster or online? i want to try this one soon even though it will warm up when its done. tis my way.
I buy my hops at hops direct. Everything else I get from American Brewmaster.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #33
mugglesport
Recipes 

I bottled this yesterday (after 3 weeks in primary). I had a FG of 1.022. Wasn't as sugary sweet as I had expected...much better balanced. Reminds me a bit of Left Hand's Milk Stout. I can definitely taste coffee, but not chocolate (maybe this will come out as it ages).

At any rate, I think this is going to be one of my best brews so far...thanks a ton for the recipe and I'll post some tasting notes in a few months!

http://fermnation.wordpress.com/

Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #34
NCBeernut
Recipes 

You are very welcome! Yeah, the chocolate and roastiness come out over the course of a month or so as it conditions, with the coffee most prominent at first. Left Hand uses more lactose, but yeah, fairly similar. 1.022 sounds right on! It is weird how it finishes so high, yet doesn't seem cloying. I guess the lactose just has that effect or something - this was my first time using it.

Also for your Simple APA, I suggest a Mirror Pond clone. I have one that is a week into primary and it is damn good. PM me if you want a recipe.

Last edited by NCBeernut; 12-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #35
jeremysavoy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
I buy my hops at hops direct. Everything else I get from American Brewmaster.
Ditto !!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
jeremysavoy

Recipes 

I finally kegged this last night, I brewed it back on 11/15 (see my post earlier in this thread) and did a PM with changes to the yeast (1084) and hop schedule (.85oz of whole leaf Galena at FWH), and Marris Otter as the base grain. I let this sit in the primary the entire time, never moved it to secondary.

After I put the keg on gas, I poured a bit into a pint to get the air out of the beer line and also to get a little taste of it ... quite simply, this is the best beer that I've ever brewed - and it was completely flat and warm! My wife and mother-in-law both tasted it and they concurred as well, this is an excellent beer.

It is extremely smooth and yet somewhat robust in flavor .... we were actually drinking Turbo Dog last night, and when we sampled this stout we noted that it actually resembled the taste of Turbo Dog but smoother ... kind of ended up somewhere in between the spectrum of Turbo Dog and Guinness

If it tastes just as good once its carbed and cooled I can tell you right now that I will keep this on tap year round --- thanks NCBeernut !!!

Last edited by jeremysavoy; 01-07-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #37
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Awesome! Now for the hard part - not letting the keg go dry right away. I think I might try it with 1084 next time.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
jeremysavoy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
Awesome! Now for the hard part - not letting the keg go dry right away. I think I might try it with 1084 next time.

Roger that! I've got a plan though, I have several spare kegs and plan to start a pipeline of this stout .... one keg on tap, one near ready to be on tap for when I kick this keg, and one just started to age, keep that rolling through ... that should keep my tap flowing !!!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #39
tincob
Recipes 

NCBeernut,

Would you be able to scale the extract recipe down to a 4 gallon batch for me? Sorry but I'm a noob and I don't have any brewing software at the moment.

I just purchased a 5 gallon carboy that I was planning to use as a secondary. However, I would like to show my boys the fermenting process (I currently use an ale pail - which doesn't have the same viewing fun factor) so I was thinking about using the 5 gallon as the fermenter.

So, I'm thinking I'll need a 4 gallon batch to avoid too much blow-off.

And if I plan on bottling, do you think 4 ozs priming sugar would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #40
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincob View Post
NCBeernut,

Would you be able to scale the extract recipe down to a 4 gallon batch for me? Sorry but I'm a noob and I don't have any brewing software at the moment.

I just purchased a 5 gallon carboy that I was planning to use as a secondary. However, I would like to show my boys the fermenting process (I currently use an ale pail - which doesn't have the same viewing fun factor) so I was thinking about using the 5 gallon as the fermenter.

So, I'm thinking I'll need a 4 gallon batch to avoid too much blow-off.

And if I plan on bottling, do you think 4 ozs priming sugar would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/

It is free and the author is a member of this forum. Enjoy.

Quick Reply