Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #351
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

IMHO, yes, you can do it in that time. It might be slightly green, but since you are kegging, I'm sure it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #352
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked but I only made it to page 4 before I realized there were 35 pages in this thread. I am thinking of brewing this weekend and am wondering if this would be ready to drink in 7 weeks (kind of want it for St. Patricks Day), or will it need more time? This would give it 1 month in primary and 3 weeks in the keg.
I drank mine in 6. It was a touch green but it was still damn good. You'll be fine. Prepare for one of the best stouts you've ever tasted!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #353
kc.rkitek
Recipes 

I did this one as my first AG effort 2 weeks ago (1-21-11) with the anticipation to rack to secondary with 4 oz of cacao nibs from Whole Foods after 3 weeks (2-11-11) in primary.

My OG was 1.065 (I added the lactose with 10 minutes left in the boil) and I just took a hydro sample today and it's currently at 1.022.

I'm seeing in other posts that 1.020 is an acceptable finish, but what about 1.022? Do you think it will drop much more in the next week? Should I try to rouse Denny's bugs a little? I know, lots of questions from the noob...

Either way, damn it tastes really good...even young! I can't wait for this to finish for the Irish high-holy day...sláinte!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #354
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

FWIW, mine finished at 1.022. 3 months later, it was still there

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #355
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Great stout! Its now almost two months out from brew day and It is tasting great! My friends and family who normally dont like stout like this one. Id say its a little on the lighter side than I am used to for a stout but I love it. This was my second brew and really encouraged me after my first one (an oktoberfest) had a strange taste still seeing if it will go away.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #356
glenc2010
Recipes 

Just finished bottling mine after 34 days in primary. I used about 7/8ths of a cup of corn sugar for just under 5 gals of this elixir. Had about 1.024 FG and it tasted good warm & flat. I too am counting the minutes to St. Patty's so I can crack a few of these bad boys open. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #357
apk
Recipes 

Default I brewed this one this past weekend and was a bit confused...

My OG was 1.068 (corrected to 60F) instead of the anticipated 1.058. I followed the extract recipe to the letter, aside from steeping an extra .25# of Crystal 60L that I didn't feel like saving. I used Munton's Amber DME and Munton's Wheat DME. The OG measurement sounded a bit high, but instead of checking the recipe one more time before pitching, I convinced myself that it was right and went ahead with it.

So I sealed up the bucket and put it in its closet. I looked at my brew sheet and realized that I was, in fact, 10 points high. I checked the hydrometer in 60F water, and it was spot on. I even went back and weighed my leftovers to make sure I didn't add an extra pound of DME. I plugged the recipe into ProMash and came up with 1.069; 1.058 with BeerSmith. I also noticed that the Brewmasters Warehouse version (posted about 2 or 3 pages back - post #328) calculated an OG of 1.068. That's a pretty wide margin of variability. I'm losing a little faith in the brew tools...

So my question is...is it worth diluting the beer before bottling? The beer is happily (and vigorously) fermenting now. I figure I'd let the fermentation finish up so I don't risk an infection. The math shows that .86 gal should have been added to lower the OG to 1.058. My goal was to brew a lower alcohol, more session-oriented beer for a change. If I add the water later, will it just taste like a watered-down version?

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #358
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I wouldn't bother diluting it. Regardless, as good as this one is, IMHO it is way too heavy to be a session beer anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #359
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Is it necessary to leave this in primary for one month? My OG was 1.057, it's been in primary for almost 2 weeks now and it's already down to 1.016. I used 1084 Irish Ale that had been washed from a previous stout a few months ago. I'm definitely going to let it age til St. Patricks day (7 weeks from brew day) but am in need of my aquarium heater for a 10 gallon Berliner Weisse I plan on brewing this weekend. I could either leave the Cream Stout in primary for two more weeks without temp control (will most likely drop to about 60F) or just keg it now and let it sit in the keg for the next 5 weeks at about 60F. I don't see how this would be a problem since the fermentation is done but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason I was over looking as to why it would need to sit on the yeast for another two weeks.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #360
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
Is it necessary to leave this in primary for one month? My OG was 1.057, it's been in primary for almost 2 weeks now and it's already down to 1.016. I used 1084 Irish Ale that had been washed from a previous stout a few months ago. I'm definitely going to let it age til St. Patricks day (7 weeks from brew day) but am in need of my aquarium heater for a 10 gallon Berliner Weisse I plan on brewing this weekend. I could either leave the Cream Stout in primary for two more weeks without temp control (will most likely drop to about 60F) or just keg it now and let it sit in the keg for the next 5 weeks at about 60F. I don't see how this would be a problem since the fermentation is done but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason I was over looking as to why it would need to sit on the yeast for another two weeks.
Give it a taste. If it tastes good, move it to the keg. If you think it needs more time on the yeast, don't rack it yet. I bet it will be good to go though. It's probably really good with that irish ale yeast.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply