Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #301
Yunko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing this tomorrow!

Question: Can I use some of the DME from this recipe to make the 1.5L yeast starter and then pitch the whole thing into the wort. You know, do the boil and then the yeast pitch will be my final top-off to 5 gals.

OR

Should I use extra DME, make the starter, decant and then pitch into the already 5gal wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #302
wilson1417
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2nd option

Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #303
wilson1417
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your starter will take a few days to "start". But your wort will be fine sitting in fermenter with no yeast for a few days until the starter is ready if you "have" to brew tommorrow.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #304
BigLazyBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I had read through this thread a couple months ago. Now I'm kicking myself for not brewing this 3 months ago. I'm working this recipe into my rotation. I haven't brewed with Wyeast 1028 before but I have brewed with Nottingham. What would the differences be? Also I have access to Pacman yeast and really enjoy it I wonder what this would be like with that yeast.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #305
erics84
Recipes 

I got impatient and cracked one of these open today. Even when undercarbed and a little green, this has to be the best stout I've had. Tasty!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #306
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
Your starter will take a few days to "start". But your wort will be fine sitting in fermenter with no yeast for a few days until the starter is ready if you "have" to brew tommorrow.
Your starter will be ready overnight. Typically high krausen occurs 16-24 hours after pitching. Starters are super fast because of the massive amount of yeast compared to the small amount of wort. If you make a smaller starter, like a 1L or so, you can pitch the whole thing into the wort to be fermented at high krausen. However, if you make a larger starter like a 2 L starter, you would probably want to let the starter ferment out completely for 2 days, then chill for a few days in the fridge to force the yeast to drop out of suspension, then on the day to pitch decant the liquid off the top and allow the yeast cake to warm up to room temperature before pitching. The idea behind decanting off the liquid is because when you make a starter you really want to aerate it (which promotes yeast reproduction) but the resulting "beer" is oxidized. Therefore, you don't want to pitch 2L of oxidized, unhopped, liquid into your beer. However, many experienced brewers, including Jamil Z., say that a 1L starter is fine to pitch directly into your wort (assuming you do so at high krausen). This is the method I use 90% of the time because I primarily make 1L starters. Some brewers will always do the decant method because they don't want to put any oxidized liquid into their beer. There is certainly nothing wrong with this approach, but I personally like the high krausen method because the yeast are active and ready to go.

Also, although you can sometimes get away with leaving a wort sit covered for a day or so without pitching, but the longer you wait, the longer nasties like infections or wild yeast, have an opportunity to establish a beach head in your beer... this method didn't work out so well for the Germans in WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #307
Yunko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I woke to find my starter's krausen had already sank. I have the starter growler chilling right now and there's already a good 1/2" of white cake at the bottom. Should be ready to pitch by tonight! SCORE!

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #308
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just finished cleaning up - Did the AG version - 5.5 gallons with SG @ 1.060. Pitched with Euro Ale (Wyeast 1338)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #309
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

So, Tuesday morning the wort was seemingly just sitting around doing nothing. But, when I dipped my thermometer in and it read 68, close to where I wanted it. I licked the thermometer to get a taste, and it was very coffee forward with no alcohol.

I got home last night and noticed it had a nice krausen and was happy bubbling away at 70 degrees. Figured it had a week or two to go, as Euro Ale (Wyeast 1338) is described as possibly being very slow to ferment.

Got up this morning to see how my brew was going - krausen was gone - just a few bubbles left on top of the wort with a temp of ~66 (it is in a cold garage). I figured something was wrong, but took a hydro reading to see. It read 1.019, just a point from the estimated FG. Took a lick of the hydro - not bad at 60 hours, still lots of coffee.

So, my slow Euro Ale yeast took 60 hours to ferment this thing. Now it gets a 4 week rest in the primary, then bottle, then drink.....

BTW: Two ounces of Organic Sumatra was coarsely cracked and added at flame out. Wort was allowed to rest 5 minuted before chilling. Hit it with yeast form a 2 liter starter.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #310
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this yesterday...All Grain and I hit my OG dead on...This was my first AG...

I did end up using pale chocolate malt(thats all they had) mixed with some chocolate malt I had from a previous porter...but the wort tasted great...

Ohhh..I also added a half pound of flaked oats...

I also made a 1400ml starter from WLP001 California Ale (my first time ever with a starter) that I harvested from my last beer I made...pitched it at high krausen...

This morning it was bubbling away at 64F....

I don't think this really takes 30 days to ferment....

Saturday brewing a Blue Moon Clone...

Quick Reply