Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesport View Post
I guess I really should wait, huh?
It really depends on the yeast your using and the temperature you are fermenting (see more below). If you are using something like the Chico strain that will tear through a beer, then yeah, 2 weeks could definitely be enough. Go off your gravity readings. If you are near 1.020 for a few days without a change, go ahead and bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesport View Post
Should I leave it in the garage at this temperature or would it be better to bring it in my house (which is about 70F? I guess I could try to rig a way to keep it warmer in the garage or colder in the house, of course.
If the most active part of fermentation is over, go ahead and bring it in. You will not get much of a temperature rise after the first few days of fermentation, so your beer will most likely be sitting around 60 at most - too cold. You will most likely get stuck fermentation at that temperature. When activity seems to slow, bring it out of the cooler temps. The 70 degree ambient temperature will help it to finish out in time for Christmas without giving you off flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
mugglesport
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
It really depends on the yeast your using and the temperature you are fermenting (see more below). If you are using something like the Chico strain that will tear through a beer, then yeah, 2 weeks could definitely be enough. Go off your gravity readings. If you are near 1.020 for a few days without a change, go ahead and bottle.
Cool. Yeah, I'm using -05 so maybe it will be ready. I just looked in the bucket and the krausen's still there, but is lower than its peak. Looks like i had about 1.25" of Krausen at peak.

Quote:
If the most active part of fermentation is over, go ahead and bring it in. You will not get much of a temperature rise after the first few days of fermentation, so your beer will most likely be sitting around 60 at most - too cold. You will most likely get stuck fermentation at that temperature. When activity seems to slow, bring it out of the cooler temps. The 70 degree ambient temperature will help it to finish out in time for Christmas without giving you off flavors.
Sounds good. I brought it in but its near the back door so maybe it will stay more around 68F than 70F.

Thanks!

http://fermnation.wordpress.com/

Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #23
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just moved from primary bucket to secondary carboy. I had a gravity of 1.024. I dont think I am going to go much lower than that and 1.070 to 1.024 puts me at 6.2% ABV.

This tasted pretty good but I think it needs a month or so to condition. I will wait a few weeks then go to bottle. (i dont have enough bottles empty at the moment). Will keep everyone posted.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #24
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

This sounds fantastic. I only have a couple concerns because I am very new to home brewing. This recipe sounds a lot like Dragonmead's Earls Spit Stout which is simply awesome. Dragonmead describes it as : "This classic dry stout is moderately bittered with E. Kent Golding hops and is balanced between Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malts. It is fermented with Irish Ale Yeast that leaves the finish of the beer dry, thick and delicious. O.G. 1.066, ABV 6.2%" At any rate, I also find Guiness to be probably the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. So the question is- based on this, do you think this is more like Dragonmead's or Guiness? I know this sounds like a loaded question, but I am concerned about spending all the time and money on anything that would taste like Guiness.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
NCBeernut
Recipes 

This is a sweet stout - pretty much the opposite of a dry stout. There are no late hops, the bitterness is low, and the lactose will ensure that this will finish slightly sweet - none of this is characteristic of Guinness. Also, you may not like the nitro that is common with Guinness and other commercial dry stouts. Also, my beer uses a significant amount of chocolate and caramel malts, while a classic dry irish stout usually relies soley on roasted barley for color and roastiness. Simply put, this is NOT a beer that will resemble Guinness. I don't know the full recipe for Dragonmead's stout, but it sounds like the Deception stout is a bit different from that one as well.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #26
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
I just moved from primary bucket to secondary carboy. I had a gravity of 1.024. I dont think I am going to go much lower than that and 1.070 to 1.024 puts me at 6.2% ABV.

This tasted pretty good but I think it needs a month or so to condition. I will wait a few weeks then go to bottle. (i dont have enough bottles empty at the moment). Will keep everyone posted.
It definitely comes together more after a month. Generally, beer with lots of roasted malts take a bit more time to hit their prime. As far as your gravity situation goes, 1.024 isn't all that uncommon for a sweet stout that starts at 1.070. You probably should have left it in primary for just a little longer to let it drop a couple of points, but it isn't going to ruin your beer or anything. I am definitely anxious to hear how it turns out for you.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
BigB
Recipes 

Thanks NC... Simply being nothing like Guiness is worth trying. Actually, the way you explain how it finishes is the selling point! I'm going to go to my LHBS this weekend and get the ingredients. Thanks! Any suggestions for how long I should leave it bottled?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Also, you may not like the nitro that is common with Guinness and other commercial dry stouts.
You may have a point here... Within the past week I had another Guiness product, Smithwick. It wasn't bad, but I noted it had no nitro. Also I had Beamish, which does have nitro. The Beamish had the same nasty flavor as Guiness Draught.

Ohwell, at any rate, I'm doing this recipe today. The only change I am making is that I am using the 1028 because my LHBS didn't have Denny's and because all of the grains I used were English (I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I figured I'd keep it all English). Also, I will use Yakima Magnum (14.4%) because my LHBS didn't have the German. I really can't wait until this one is finished.

Finally, My LHBS says to bottle this for at least 3 months.... Does anyone else think that sounds a bit long? Or is he right?

Primary 1: None (Soon to be this)
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Wit

Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Ohwell, at any rate, I'm doing this recipe today. The only change I am making is that I am using the 1028 because my LHBS didn't have Denny's and because all of the grains I used were English (I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I figured I'd keep it all English). Also, I will use Yakima Magnum (14.4%) because my LHBS didn't have the German. I really can't wait until this one is finished.

Finally, My LHBS says to bottle this for at least 3 months.... Does anyone else think that sounds a bit long? Or is he right?
Any kind of Magnum is fine...actually, any clean bittering hop really. Also, 1028 would be my first choice of yeast after 1450, so good call there. As far as aging goes, 3 months will make a nice beer, but it isn't necessary. I would start drinking it after 1 month - it should be plenty of time. Happy brewing!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #30
BigB
Recipes 

Thanks! I will try a bottle after a month. Boy, while this one was boiling, I couldn't get over the fantastic aroma! I had a friend over while I was brewing and he can't wait either until this one is ready!

Quick Reply