Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #211
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abazin View Post
I'm planning to brew this soon. When I plug in 0.75 oz of Magnum pellets at 13.4AA and a 60 minute boil into Beer Alchemy, I get 44 IBUs. I double checked with an online calculator and got a similar result. The recipe says 27 IBU. Is my software wrong? Should I be shooting for 27 IBU, or just use roughly 0.75 oz of Magnum?
Yep. That is a mistake. I did this with a roughly 4.5 gallon boil orignially. If you are doing this full-boil, adjust accordingly to get to about 30 IBU.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #212
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
Here is your grain bill for 60% eff:

2 lb Light/Extra Light DME
1.5 lb Wheat DME
3.5 lb Pale Malt (MO, Am 2-row, etc)
1 lb Crystal 60
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb Lactose
I want to do this as my first partial mash in my new 5 gallon beverage cooler (was using my bottling bucket wrapped in a blanket before). Since i've never done a mash in my cooler I have no idea what my efficiency would be, would this grain bill be a safe bet? Also, was thinking of upping the lactose to .75 to get somewhere between this and a commercial milk stout.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #213
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have a half batch of this boiling away on my stove, thanks to Death Brewer's "Stove Top All Grain" Method. I tasted the wort and honestly wanted to start drinking there and then. Then I realized, I'll just be full and not drunk. I think I'll wait.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #214
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
I want to do this as my first partial mash in my new 5 gallon beverage cooler (was using my bottling bucket wrapped in a blanket before). Since i've never done a mash in my cooler I have no idea what my efficiency would be, would this grain bill be a safe bet? Also, was thinking of upping the lactose to .75 to get somewhere between this and a commercial milk stout.
Your efficiency is going depend a lot on your tun design and how you sparge. Like you said the best way to know is to test it out. Before I moved to all-grain, I did PMs using brew-in-a-bag with a small 2 gallon rubbermaid cooler that could accomodate about 4.5lb of grain. I double batch sparged and got about 75% efficiency. YMMV.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #215
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Basically going to be doing one of these

but with a 5 gallon instead of a 10 gallon cooler.
I'm not too savvy with picking a grain bill so thats why I was wondering what to start out with to try and make this. Since the one you posted earlier was for 60% I think maybe it would be a safe one to start out with, if my efficiency is low than I'm safe, if its higher then I get a stronger beer. Right?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #216
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Yeah. And there is nothing wrong with that! I actually use the exact same design, but I have a 48qt rectangular cooler and I have always gotten about 75% efficiency. BTW, I haven't done the math, but you might be able to do this all-grain with a 5 gallon cooler assuming 75% efficency.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #217
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

I hadn't even thought about that! Maybe Allgrain is closer than I thought... According to BobbyM here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-...-needs-123585/
I should be able to fit about 12lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler.
However, the only hangup I have is that I have only a 5 gallon pot, so I am limited to about 3 gallon boils.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #218
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Sounds like it's time for a new pot! I use my old pot (about the same size as yours) for as my HLT. I would highly highly recommend this one:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...-40/p4857.aspx

You may not be able to brew bigger beers yet, but your average to low gravity beers you could do AG. Once you get a good handle on it, move the hardware onto a bigger rectangular cooler and enjoy the freedom!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #219
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Since i just spent $300 on my kegging setup I don't think SWMBO will let me buy any more equipment right now (i'd need a turkey fryer to go with that pot of course!).

Is there any chance you would be able to convert the recipe to partial mash with a 70% eff? I think i want to try and brew this this weekend.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #220
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Since i just spent $300 on my kegging setup I don't think SWMBO will let me buy any more equipment right now (i'd need a turkey fryer to go with that pot of course!).

Is there any chance you would be able to convert the recipe to partial mash with a 70% eff? I think i want to try and brew this this weekend.
I would just keep it the same. It really won't make much of a difference to be honest. Also, I am jealous of your kegging set-up. I am about over bottling every batch. Whenever you get the chance though, go with that pot and a Bayou Classic SP10 burner off of Amazon. It is the ultimate combo that combines both quality and price. You can get both for about $70 with free shipping.

Quick Reply