Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
jeremysavoy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
I think that Maris Otter will be a nice addition. The Irish Ale yeast should be a great choice since it has pretty full attenuation and works well with roasty wort - I didn't even think of using it before. Let me know how it turns out with that - I would like to add suggestions for alternative yeast strains to Denny's that have worked well with this, both for others and for myself.
Well, I live up in Youngsville just north of Wake Forest, so when it's ready you can swing by and have a pint and judge for yourself !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
mugglesport
Recipes 

I might try this soon. Sounds easy enough for me to do.

Noob questions:
1. Stupid question, but in the extract recipe, would the Caramel/Crystal, Chocolate, and Roasted Barley be a 30 minute steep?

2. I recently did my first PM and liked the process (yet to see how the results turn out, though). If I wanted to do a PM, I would substitute the 4.50 lb Amber DME with a mash of 3lbs Marris Otter (or similar) and the Caramel/Crystal, Chocolate, and Roasted Barley; sparge; then boil with the 2.5lbs DME, right?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

1. 30 minutes is fine. That is what I do.

2. The general process is correct. I am a little confused. Are you saying cut the Amber DME from 4.5 to 2.5, keep the 1.5 lb Wheat DME, then add 3 lb Maris Otter to the mash? That should work fine. Your gravity might be SLIGHTLY lower but only by a couple points. If you get really high efficiency then maybe not. When I brew this again, I think I might do a PM like this:

3 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60
0.75 lb Chocolate
0.5 lb Roasted barley

2 lb Wheat DME
2.5 lb Extra Light DME
0.5 lb Lactose

Last edited by NCBeernut; 11-18-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
mugglesport
Recipes 

I'm going to give this a shot this weekend. I've decided just to stick with the Extract version in the OP but with a few modifications. Specifically, I'm using LME instead of DME because my LHBS always has a fresh supply and its cheaper. Also, I'm skipping the yeast nutrient and using Safale US-05 (which is what I've been using since I started brewing).

They had Denny's Fav. and 1056 but they said the Denny's wasn't the easiest yeast and that the 1056 was pretty similar to -05 but the -05 is considerably cheaper.

Thanks again for the recipe and I can't wait to brew it!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this up. had an OG reading of 1.07?! I went extract and was a little heavy with the DME. I also used malto dextrine instead of lactose.

thoughts?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Well, depending on how heavy you went with the DME that could account for 10 points. Did you finish with exactly 5 gallons or less? Different brands of extract can vary a bit too. Some have slightly higher/lower potentials, but that wouldn't account for 10 whole points. If you changed things then sure, you gravity might be a little different. I don't know how malto dextrine compares to lactose as far as gravity goes. Maybe your hydrometer is a little off.

One thing I am pretty sure of though is that you will end up with good beer, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited by NCBeernut; 11-30-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
Well, depending on how heavy you went with the DME that could account for 10 points. Did you finish with exactly 5 gallons or less? Different brands of extract can vary a bit too. Some have slightly higher/lower potentials, but that wouldn't account for 10 whole points. If you changed things then sure, you gravity might be a little different. I don't know how malto dextrine compares to lactose as far as gravity goes. Maybe your hydrometer is a little off.

One thing I am pretty sure of though is that you will end up with good beer, so I wouldn't sweat it.
I was at 5 gallons. I added an extra .25lb of DME - so not THAT much. I am thinking maybe malto dextrine had something to do with it. Hydrometer is reading 1.000 with water so its good. I guess we will wait and see?

I also noticed activity in my airlock after about 12hrs which is pretty unusual for me. I typically dont see activity for about 24-36hrs.

I will take some gravity readings and let you know. I am excited for this one.

Thanks,
Zack

Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
mugglesport
Recipes 

I also had an OG of 1.07. I followed the extract recipe except did LME instead of DME. I finished the boil with about 4.5 to 4.75 gallons of wert. I went ahead and topped it to about 5.25 gallons to hopefully offset the high OG (I don't know if that will actually work though ).

My airlock activity has been fairly mild (but my last batch was a 1.082 batch with two packs of yeast that blew out of a 7 gallon bucket, so I guess anything would be mild by comparison )

http://fermnation.wordpress.com/

Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
NCBeernut
Recipes 

If you ended up with 4.5 gallons, that would definitely make a difference.

My recipe in Beer Smith calculates to 1.058. When I brewed it I got 1.060, so I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't even worry about it. If it comes out to 1.070, just a little bit more alcohol to enjoy

Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
mugglesport
Recipes 

A couple more questions:
1. I brewed on the 12/5/09 and would like to bottle on 12/23/09 so that I can give some to my father in law as his christmas present. This would only be 2 and a half weeks of fermentation though. I guess I really should wait, huh? I planned to brew it earlier (with my father in law as a bonding activity) but he had to postpone our brewdate by a week.

2. The fermentation for the first few days was at an ambient temp of about 60F (which makes the ferm temp 66F to 68F I assume). This is right on target. However, after the 4th day or so the temperature dropped and now my ambient temps are between 50F and 55F. Should I leave it in the garage at this temperature or would it be better to bring it in my house (which is about 70F? I guess I could try to rig a way to keep it warmer in the garage or colder in the house, of course.

http://fermnation.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply