Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #101
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Only issue I see (and it's not really an "issue" per se) is when I tapped the recipe into Beertools, the color is coming up a bit light. Doing a 10 gallon batch (all grain):

15lb 2-Row
3lb White Wheat
2lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
1.5lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Lactose

Is giving me a color of 26.67 SRM, as opposed to the 36 in the original recipe?

I *may* have the willpower to let it sit through the summer. It's gonna start getting toasty soon, so will be focusing on the pale ales and blondes to get me through the dog days, and could POSSIBLY put the keg of this in the cellar, and *forget* about it...!

It'd better be the best damned stout I've ever had, the way you lot have hyped it up!
The color of this one is by no means "light". I have literally held this one up to a bare light bulb and it is so black that I couldn't see even a hint of light coming through. And yes, I know what you mean by the hype, but this is the best damned stout I have ever had, and suprisingly found that it is a PERFECT beer to use to introduce BMC'ers to something different. Everyone loves it, BMC'ers, Homebrewers, beersnobs... Everyone (well, Ok, everyone but my wife... but she doesn't count... she is the ultra hard core BMC'er.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #102
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Is giving me a color of 26.67 SRM, as opposed to the 36 in the original recipe?

I *may* have the willpower to let it sit through the summer. It's gonna start getting toasty soon, so will be focusing on the pale ales and blondes to get me through the dog days, and could POSSIBLY put the keg of this in the cellar, and *forget* about it...!

It'd better be the best damned stout I've ever had, the way you lot have hyped it up!
I don't like the way it ages personally. Definitely better in the first 6 months. Tinkering around in BeerSmith, I can't figure out why your color is off though. Are you sure you aren't entering Pale Chocolate or something? I am calculating with 350 SRM Chocolate Malt and 300 SRM RB and it comes out to roughly 35 SRM.

Last edited by NCBeernut; 05-21-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #103
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
I don't like the way it ages personally. Definitely better in the first 6 months. Tinkering around in BeerSmith, I can't figure out why your color is off though. Are you sure you aren't entering Pale Chocolate or something? I am calculating with 350 SRM Chocolate Malt and 300 SRM RB and it comes out to roughly 35 SRM.
I'm brewing a split batch with my buddy, so five gallons goes with him in bottles, and five with me in a keg. I guarantee that his won't last a month after bottling. Mine will probably hit the six months, since I'm on a serious hop kick at the moment, but this'll be nice after the summer, I'm thinking.

Nope, am definitely using the 350L Chocolate and the 300 RB in the recipe. In my head the 35 SRM makes sense, since the last stout I made had just a couple of ounces in there and it came out black as night. Am thinking it's Beertools being weird.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #104
Jayrot
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm brewing a split batch with my buddy, so five gallons goes with him in bottles, and five with me in a keg. I guarantee that his won't last a month after bottling. Mine will probably hit the six months,
Silly brewer, beer's for drinkin', not fer lookin' at!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #105
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
Silly brewer, beer's for drinkin', not fer lookin' at!
Speak o' the devil.

We're going to be getting a little less than we thought too - the thing is absolutely blowing up in the fermentation chamber. Came down last night, there was about a beer's worth all over the floor, leaked out, and soaked into the bottom of the wood. Ditched the silly airlock, there's a blowoff tube on each, and THAT was full this morning!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #106
Jayrot
Recipes 

Wow. Always nice to know the yeasties are doing their thing, though. None of this "will they or won't they".

How many beers worth do you think we spilled on Rick's floor? aka "the natural syphon incident"

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #107
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

im probably going to order the grains for this one soon, do you think the 1450 yeast plays a big part in the recipe?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #108
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This will be my first beer using wheat. What kind of flavor does it impart to the beer?

I am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I believe it's because of the flavor the wheat style yeasts contribute. Could be wrong...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #109
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
This will be my first beer using wheat. What kind of flavor does it impart to the beer?

I am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I believe it's because of the flavor the wheat style yeasts contribute. Could be wrong...
The wheat is only there to aid in head retention and texture. It will not make any flavor contributions to this recipe.

The flavors wheat contributes even at 50% of the grist as in wheat beers are subtle. In this beer, there is only a small amount, and any very slight flavor it would have contributed is going to be completely overpowered by the roasted grains. So yeah, don't fear the wheat.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #110
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Cool man, thanks! Will brew next weekend!

Quick Reply