Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #91
sfinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey NCbeernut, hope Raleigh is treating you well--I used to have family on Brooks Avenue and spent a lot of time there...

Thanks much for the recipe. I am going to try it at the end of this week. Quick question--you mentioned possibly adding a bourbon vanilla bean in the secondary--how long are you leaving the batch in your primary before moving it over? Does the recipe benefit from leaving it in the primary for a longer time period before moving it to the secondary?

Thanks again!

If you brew it, they will come...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #92
joeldp144
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I plug this recipe into Promash (and Beer Calculus), my IBU prediction is in the 44.7+ range (assuming 14% AA). This is significantly more than the 27 IBU shown on the recipe, and it seems quite hoppy for the style.

Is everyone using the actual hops and recommended ounces, or are you shooting for the 27 IBU's based on your hop calculator. I'm inclined to follow the recipe rather than the calculated IBU's. Just curious.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #93
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldp144 View Post
When I plug this recipe into Promash (and Beer Calculus), my IBU prediction is in the 44.7+ range (assuming 14% AA). This is significantly more than the 27 IBU shown on the recipe, and it seems quite hoppy for the style.

Is everyone using the actual hops and recommended ounces, or are you shooting for the 27 IBU's based on your hop calculator. I'm inclined to follow the recipe rather than the calculated IBU's. Just curious.
I used Yakima Magnum which I think was 14.4% Mine is definitely not overly hoppy. It is about as bitter as a typical 24-28 IBU beer. I don't recall what my beersmith entry ended up calculating (I'm at work screwing around on HBT when I should be working ). But the bitterness is very well balanced against the sweetness of the grains and lactose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #94
jeremysavoy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Follow the recipe !!!! Seriously, I keep this kegged and on tap at my house at all times ... this is an incredible beer and fits the style very well.

Beersmith has me coming in a 29 IBUs, but I tweaked the recipe just slightly for partial mash, marris otter, etc... see my previous posts.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #95
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinger View Post
Hey NCbeernut, hope Raleigh is treating you well--I used to have family on Brooks Avenue and spent a lot of time there...

Thanks much for the recipe. I am going to try it at the end of this week. Quick question--you mentioned possibly adding a bourbon vanilla bean in the secondary--how long are you leaving the batch in your primary before moving it over? Does the recipe benefit from leaving it in the primary for a longer time period before moving it to the secondary?

Thanks again!
I left mine in primary for 4 weeks just to be sure it wasn't going to go any lower, and then I bottled it from there. No secondary. I don't see a need for it.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #96
sfinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
I left mine in primary for 4 weeks just to be sure it wasn't going to go any lower, and then I bottled it from there. No secondary. I don't see a need for it.
Thanks for the reply... I will give that a try and let you know how things go...

If you brew it, they will come...

Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #97
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

I think you already PMed me about this, but you might be getting different numbers for one of two reasons:

1. My magnums are 13.4%. If yours are higher that will give you more IBUS
2. I only do a 5 gallon boil and top up with a half gallon or so of water. If you start out with 6 to 7 gallons of wort and do a completely full boil you will get better utilization than I do.

So...yeah, you might want to adjust accordingly. If your boil volume isn't much larger and your magnums are about the same as mine, there might just be an error in the software.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #98
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is on schedule for this weekend. Looking forward to trying it in... ugh, six weeks time!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #99
jeremysavoy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
This is on schedule for this weekend. Looking forward to trying it in... ugh, six weeks time!!!
It's quite good at six weeks, but if you have the will power to let it age for 3+ months, it is well worth the wait ... this beer smooths and mellows quite well with age, while still retaining it's earthy coffee-like robustness.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #100
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Only issue I see (and it's not really an "issue" per se) is when I tapped the recipe into Beertools, the color is coming up a bit light. Doing a 10 gallon batch (all grain):

15lb 2-Row
3lb White Wheat
2lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
1.5lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Lactose

Is giving me a color of 26.67 SRM, as opposed to the 36 in the original recipe?

I *may* have the willpower to let it sit through the summer. It's gonna start getting toasty soon, so will be focusing on the pale ales and blondes to get me through the dog days, and could POSSIBLY put the keg of this in the cellar, and *forget* about it...!

It'd better be the best damned stout I've ever had, the way you lot have hyped it up!

Last edited by ubermick; 05-20-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply