Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - DC Raspberry Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #51
McBrewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think after 3 weeks of primary fermentation it is finally done. Took a while but I got my grav down to 1.021 from 1.063 so I was pretty spot on with yours. Will be adding the puree once I can find it somewhere.

edit: I'm ordering a can of the puree from homebrewers' outpost right now. Should I be concerned with this sitting in primary for too long? It's been in primary for a bit over 3 weeks already then it will probably be 4 weeks by the time the puree arrives then another 2 weeks after I add that. So I'd be looking at about 6 weeks in primary.

Last edited by McBrewski; 01-10-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #52
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

I'm thinking of making this recipe, at the request of my lady. I was thinking about the Vodka/chocolate mix though... What about using "Godiva Chocloate Liqueur" instead of the Vodka-choc mix? Seem like that might be easier and lead to a much richer flavor...

Several to choose from:
http://www.godiva.com/beyond_chocolate/liqueur.aspx

What do you think? Seems like a reasonable alternative, no?

And this makes me wonder, how much of this would I want to use? I think that Godiva is going to contribute a lot more flavor - by volume - than the chocolate vodka mix would. Correct?

Last edited by HomeBrewDan; 01-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #53
max2zero99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Or this might give me a reason for that nitro setup I always wanted.
that's the spirit

Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #54
pkpdogg
Recipes 

I haven't checked back on this thread for a while, but I thought I'd let you all know that I also tried this as my first all-grain batch about a year ago and had great results. My efficiency sucked, so my ABV was lower than intended, but the end product sure worked out well.

One thing to note is DO NOT cheap out on the cocoa powder. I used your basic Hershey's powder the first time and it was good, but as my taste buds developed, ended up tasting a bit synthetic and powdery in the beer. In my all-grain batch, I stepped up and used Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder and it made a world of a difference!

Cheers!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #55
Madinaman
Recipes 

i am trying the Extract recipe, but subbing out the Raspberry with blackberry puree as the little lady loves it. Will report with my brew day results, when the ingredients come in.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #56
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds interesting. Let us know.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #57
Madinaman
Recipes 

I also plan to add the cocoa powder to the boil, as this is what I have done in the past when adding cocoa powder. I have the ingredients on order, and have the vanilla "extract" already steeping. It should have a good two months before it goes into the secondary.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #58
Madinaman
Recipes 

Did the extract version of this, but decided to add one ounce of chocolate to the boil, then another two ounces, mixed with vodka, in the secondary. I made the vanilla bean and vodka mixture in a blender, to really get the vanilla incorporated so i get max flavor. I also used blackberry instead of raspberry. It took me 4 weeks in the primary before I could add blackberry, which I did today. I fermented a little lower than the original recipe stated, but it was constant, within .5 of a degree. When I bottle and open one, i will post back to see how my tweaks came out.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #59
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

So after enjoying this beer. I think I will make it again. I thought the raspberry and vanilla was perfect, but I want more chocolate in this next batch.

Thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #60
menisale
Recipes 

I made this recipe as an AG on 10/29. I just moved from secondary to the keg yesterday. Upon tasting my hydro sample the raspberry is still over powering. Have minimal stout flavor or chocolate flavor. Those of you that have tried this recipe, does the raspberry mellow over time?

Figuring if it doesn't mellow out that i will either need to add more Cocoa or some espresso.

On the Cocoa I added 2 oz at flame out plus another 2 oz into secondary with the vanilla, because I was hoping for more chocolate and less raspberry.

My OG was 1.067 and FG was 1.018, so okay on the numbers.

Quick Reply