Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - DC Raspberry Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #31
Pelikan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The D2 adds to the dark complexity of the sweetness. It's not just another sugar, etc. I've been floating the idea of adding 120L and some more DME in place of the D2, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Flaked Oats are there for consistency and flavor, not for conversion. In other words, you won't get much if any fermentable sugar from the oats, but you will get mouth feel, head retention, and flavor.

The sealed glass is so alcohol doesn't evaporate out, and insects don't get in.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #32
Bonneville
Recipes 

Thanks Pelikan. Obviously, I can't critique the D2 as I haven't tasted this yet and won't for another several months. I've never seen it in a stout before, but it appears to fit the mix here well.

Carafoam should be a decent substitute for flaked oats if the mains goals are mouth feel and head retention.

Makes sense on the glass container, but then the same should apply to the vanilla extract... even more so since it is in there for 4 weeks. I may need to "transfer" my extract tonight to avoid evaporation problems.

Thanks for the fun recipe. Looking forward to it.

Some notes on my batch:
I found the wort a bit difficult to moderate the last 15 minutes. All the late additions make for a rather thick wort that either doesn't want to boil or wants to boil violently. Fermentation started very quickly. I put this in an "Ale Pail" bucket for ease of adding the raspberry puree. I almost never use a blowoff with a bucket as its usually not needed. However, this batch blew up through the airlock in under 24 hours and is bubbling intensely. Everything else is pretty standard, in my experience.

Bottled: Top Shelf Stout, Big *ss Stout, Apfelwein, Fish Drool Brown Ale, ATC Ale

Last edited by Bonneville; 10-06-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #33
McBrewski
Recipes 

Does anyone know if the Raspberry Puree is available in grocery stores or do I have to purchase it at my LHBS?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #34
Bonneville
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewski View Post
Does anyone know if the Raspberry Puree is available in grocery stores or do I have to purchase it at my LHBS?
Possibly - Use their product finder.

http://www.oregonfruit.com
Bottled: Top Shelf Stout, Big *ss Stout, Apfelwein, Fish Drool Brown Ale, ATC Ale

Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 weeks in

I just had to sign up to this site after reading this recipe. Can't wait to try this one!

After 2 weeks in I added my Raspberry yesterday. Kicked back fermentation in just a few hours.

I followed your recipe exactly. Although I did adjust my hops due to lower AA%. No run-ins on brew day for this. Just made sure to really crank the heat up for all the late additions. Boil stayed smooth.

I prepared my vanilla beans a week ahead of brew day, and the cocoa will be prepared 3 days before racking to the secondary.

I'm not sure if I want to keg this one or not. I typically keg all my beers, but this one seems extra special to me. Maybe I bottle it in some 22's and put some nice labels on it. Or this might give me a reason for that nitro setup I always wanted.

Thanks for the recipe.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #36
Bonneville
Recipes 

DBD - We will need to compare notes around New Year as both our batches should be ready around then.

I usually keg, but I plan to bottle this one too.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #37
PundyBrews
Recipes 

Hey everybody,
I'm a new brewer from the north (Canada) and would really like to try this recipe. Getting supplies here is really a pain. I need Belgian D2 syrup but can't get it here. Any suggestions? Maybe just increasing my dme?

Thanks!!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

brewmasterswarehouse website sells it and their customer service is great.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #39
Bonneville
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PundyBrews View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm a new brewer from the north (Canada) and would really like to try this recipe. Getting supplies here is really a pain. I need Belgian D2 syrup but can't get it here. Any suggestions? Maybe just increasing my dme?

Thanks!!
Definitely mail order. I got mine from Northern Brewer. Needed some for another recipe as well. From what I hear, there really is no substitute for this stuff.

Add my raspberries two weeks ago, and had a surprisingly strong second fermentation. Prepared choco-vodka last weekend. This weekend is the rack to secondary on top of vanilla and chocolate. This beer is definitely a "process", but a fun one.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #40
PundyBrews
Recipes 

I found the syrup at Brewmasters warehouse. I got 4 so I can do another batch right away. Did my beans today. Probably wont brew it for 3-6 weeks though. Seems like a lot of Vodka

Quick Reply