DC Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
1000mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Recipe turned out okay, but needs adjustment. I\'m only adding as a request.
Slopeside Stout
13-B Sweet Stout
Author: Suthrncomfrt1884

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 180.02 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.044 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.012 - 1.024)
Color: 29.5 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 5.32% (4.0% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 25.3 (20.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
5.00 lb Dry Dark
0.5 lb American Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb American Black Patent
0.25 lb Black Roasted Barley
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1084 Irish Ale
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.75 lb Lactose
4.0 oz Chocolate (unsweetened) - added dry to secondary fermenter
4.0 oz Chocolate (unsweetened)
2.0 oz Raspberry Syrup - added to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Raspberry Syrup

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
4oz. of 100% bakers cocao added to secondary. 4oz. added at bottling time. (Make sure whatever chocolate you use has no sugar in it. If it does, add it all into secondary) I would also suggest adding an additional 4oz. to the boil.

2oz. of raspberry extract added to secondary, 2oz. added at bottling time.

Lactose added at last 5 minutes of boil.

This recipe turned out alright, but not the best. I was aiming for something with a little more chocolate flavor like Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Because of the amount of raspberry extract I added, that's about all I taste. Definately a desert beer. If I brew again, it will be with 2lbs of fresh raspberries, 1lb of chocolate malt, and 8oz. of cocao total. Also, I'd probably change the hops to an actual bittering hop.

My friends seem to really enjoy this, especially the girls. But, it's just not for me. Too much raspberry can ruin a recipe.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.5

Thanks SuthrnC. Have you tried this stout w/out the fruit? I'm planning to do a Chocolate Cherry Stout at some point, and looking for a good base.

I did a chocolate raspberry porter a couple of times. Dialed down the fruit from batch #1 to batch #2, and will drop it again next time. In batch 1 I used 2 packages of frozen organic berries (no added sugar - I think they're 14 oz each), 8oz. of cacao nibs (I read somewhere even bakers chocolate has cocao butter in it (fat) and can decrease head and eventually go rancid - beside the nibs smelled awesome), and a vanilla bean in the secondary, and 8 fluid oz. of raspberry puree made from frozen raspberries at bottling. The cacao nibs are powerful - hold off on popping the caps until the chocolate has mellowed for a good 3 months. I've got a case that's coming up on a year, and just seems to get better.

Still just a little bit much on the raspberry - I'm shooting for just a hint of it in the finish. I'll probably use fresh raspberries next time, and try to squeeze the juice from them, as I think the skins are contributing a bit of sour.

Raspberries are a very powerful fruit. As for the base recipe, I've never tried it alone. I don't do extract anymore either, otherwise I'd set you up with a good base.

Just a little update. I found a few bottles of this hiding in the back of my cellar and decided to see if it was still drinkable. It's a few years old, so I was a bit worried.

After chilling at 45F for a few days, I popped the bottle tonight and WOW. The raspberry has mellowed out incredibly. I actually get a really nice chocolate flavor out of this with a bit of raspberry on the back end. It's a pretty complex tasting beer for something that was fairly basic.

I'm concidering updating this to an all-grain version so I can tweak it just a bit.

If you brew this, and can manage to keep a few around for a year or more...you'll be in for a treat.

Good things to those who wait on fruit and chocolate ales!

Have you AG'd that base yet? I've got a American Stout AG recipe I was planning to use for my chocolate cherry stout, as most fruit stout recipes I've found don't start as sweet stouts, but I'm doing a 10 gallon batch, so I suppose I could toss some lactose into one fermentor.

I generally don't like very many stouts. But this one seems right up my alley. I'll have to add it to my On Deck Circle.

Latest posts

Back