Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #61
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Okay I have mine stuck at 1.032ish. I'm going to throw a vial of yeast in there to try and bring it down some more. I found out my water heater is on my second floor today so I took off the access panel to add a little bit of additional warmth to the closet I have my fermenters in. My house typically stays at 65 or a bit lower so I figure exposing the water heater to the closet space and keeping the doors closed will bring it closer to 70.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #62
smokinghole

Recipes 

I think the next time I do this I either need to watch temps more closely and or use the high gravity ale yeast. I got mine down to 1.032ish and it wouldn't move anymore. I thought about making a champagne starter but decided it was close enough to 1.030 which is with in standards for a stout. I ended up at 12.1% ABV.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #63
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I was thinking about tossing the wort from this right on a yeast cake from a 1.044, 40-60 IBU (I'm getting different numbers from different sources).

I know both OG and IBU's have an effect on how well the yeast attenuates. So is this a good idea? Bad idea? Am I over pitching?

Recipe for the "starter"

7lbs LME
1/2lbs Carapils
1/2lbs Crystal 10L

1.5oz Cascade (7.5 AA) at 20mins
1.5oz Cascade (7.5 AA) at 10mins
1.5oz Cascade (7.5 AA) at 5mins
1.5oz Cascade (7.5 AA) Dry Hopped

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #64
smokinghole

Recipes 

With a recipe like this I don't think you can really over pitch. I would wash the yeast and throw the washed yeasties in to negate any effects of the hops in the trub.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #65
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Apendecto, I pitched onto the yeast cake of Rhoobarb's Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout, and it turned out wonderfully. Didn't even wash it first.

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #66
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Apendecto, I pitched onto the yeast cake of Rhoobarb's Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout, and it turned out wonderfully. Didn't even wash it first.
Cool. One less step for me. Plus, do you really think you could taste any off flavors from the first batch in this motor oil?

I'm excited...

...for sometime next year.

Thanks!

PS How the the FG come out? Did you do anything sneaky to squeeze out a few points?

Last edited by Apendecto; 02-11-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Checking up on the brew to be

Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #67
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
do you really think you could taste any off flavors from the first batch in this motor oil?
I could taste a hint of "plastic bucket" due to siphoning issues that caused me to try and just save the batch without regard for sanitation. Could also have been brought out with a lot of roast, maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
PS How the the FG come out? Did you do anything sneaky to squeeze out a few points?
F.G. was 1.024. Didn't do anything special, just had a nice big yeast cake.

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #68
eggbeater59
Recipes 

i'll be brewing this in a month or two, after i run out of propane. with the amount of water that i need to heat up and at least a 2 hour boil time, i'm afraid of running out.
i'm trying to figure out the math for batch sparging. i figure i have enough water for a single batch sparge of 3.25 gal. will that be enough for the 23.5 lb grain bill? i havn't done a high gravity beer like this before. i suppose i could put a paper plate on the grain bed and do a "hybrid sparge" lol.
i'm guessing that i won't be able to hit 75% with my normal ag methods...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #69
2-0turbo
Recipes 

Just a quick question for you guys who are more experienced at recipe formulations than me. For whatever reason, when I was clicking "buy" at my homebrew store, I bought Pilsner malt instead of Pale malt. Should this change the character of the beer too much? Due to availability, I am also substituting Magnum hops (12.5%) for the Columbus as I couldn't get any here in France. I've also got some smaller substitutions on the C120/C150 and special B. I figure I'll adjust the quantities in Beersmith to keep the colors and gravity right and it should be good, right? : )

My only real worries are the Pilsner malt and the hops. I just started brewing with grain, so I have no idea what that will do. And, I have never done hop substitutions, so I'm new to that at well. Probably everyone will say DWHAHB...at least I'm hoping. The more beer I brew, the more I find it doesn't matter.

-Matt

BB Primary 1: O'Flannagains Standard Stout
BB Primary 2: DFH-60 minute clone
BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)
Bottle Conditioning: None
On Hand: DFH-60 minute clone, Light Pilsner (Munton's kit)
Up Next: I dunno...I'm out of fermenters.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #70
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-0turbo View Post
Just a quick question for you guys who are more experienced at recipe formulations than me. For whatever reason, when I was clicking "buy" at my homebrew store, I bought Pilsner malt instead of Pale malt. Should this change the character of the beer too much? Due to availability, I am also substituting Magnum hops (12.5%) for the Columbus as I couldn't get any here in France. I've also got some smaller substitutions on the C120/C150 and special B. I figure I'll adjust the quantities in Beersmith to keep the colors and gravity right and it should be good, right? : )

My only real worries are the Pilsner malt and the hops. I just started brewing with grain, so I have no idea what that will do. And, I have never done hop substitutions, so I'm new to that at well. Probably everyone will say DWHAHB...at least I'm hoping. The more beer I brew, the more I find it doesn't matter.
I can't help you with the grain, but I don't think the hops will matter too much. I've heard people say if the hops are just for bittering, you can use just about anything if you keep your IBUs the same. Then again, what do I know?

Quick Reply