Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #161
MrHat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How long would you recommend aging this beer? I brewed in early May and bottled 3 months ago. The heavy alcohol is starting to relax and the flavors are blending so nice. The only issue is that every bottle I've opened has instantly become a geyser. I generally keg my beer, so I have little bottling experience. The beer doesnt taste over carbonated, but it just gushes everywhere. I literally lose 1/2 of each bottle. I made a 5 gallon batch and primed with 1/2 cup of corn sugar dissolved in water.

I'm hoping that aging will help with the gushing issues. Any help is greatly appreciated. This recipe is phenomenal!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #162
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

glad this thread is still going. i've been trying to remember what the beer was called, since i'm going to brew it

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #163
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You should age at least a year for the flavors to be best. High alcohol needs time to mellow. As for the gushers...look at this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gushers-what-do-i-do-now-188170/

Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #164
MrHat
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I hope I don't have the gusher bug, that would be a shame to spend all this time and waiting to have gushers, but I'll just have to deal. Thanks for the link, i'll give one of those ideas a try.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #165
Thunder_Unicorn
Recipes 

Just made this on Saturday in 5 gallon format. This was my first ever beer I brewed, it went really well (I figured jump in deep). Actually got 70% efficiency for my first time so I was stoked. Tasted amazing (we drank the gravity readings). It's been bubbling like mad since then.
Also did a Parti Gyle on a third runnings so as to maximize the high grain bill...added some fermentables to bring up the gravity.
Thanks BrewPastor for creating this recipe it was so much fun to make!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #166
Wolfhound180
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I plan on brewing a 5 gallon chocolate chili version of this next week. Any ideas on the cocoa, ancho chili combination for a beer like this? I was thinking 6oz of nibs and 4 dried anchos in secondary for a subtle flavor. I plan on keeping this in secondary for 3 months or so. Will it be ok for it to sit on the cocoa and chiles for that long? Ive never made a chocolate chili beer, and everything I research is for a much smaller stout than this.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #167
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I made this recipe about 14 months ago. I finally cracked it open and tried it out. It seems very....sweet? I checked the FG 3 different times, with both a refractometer and hydrometer, and they were both at 1.020 exactly. Maybe thats normal, but I really wasnt expecting that. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #168
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNinja1
So I made this recipe about 14 months ago. I finally cracked it open and tried it out. It seems very....sweet? I checked the FG 3 different times, with both a refractometer and hydrometer, and they were both at 1.020 exactly. Maybe thats normal, but I really wasnt expecting that. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
You've got to take into consideration that the high level of alcohol is making the FG deceptive. 1.020 for a 1.110 brew is not the same as 1.020 for a beer that had a SG of 1.050. In other words because alcohol has a much lower gravity than water, the more of it you have the more it throws off the whole FG measurement

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #169
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That's the whole apparent vs real extract issue. Anyhow I've taken this recipe and sort of morphed it into my own with additional roast and other grains.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #170
Wolfhound180
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Brewed this on the 29th. Efficiency was crap and OG was 1.112. Made a 1 gallon starter of WLP090 and yesterday, the 4th it was at 1.022. Nice strong fermentation but didn't even need a blow off tube. I will bulk age this for 6 months and then bottle. Won't crack any open until Dec 21 as this is my Mayan End of The World brew. I also added chocolate and chipotle powder so we shall see how this turns out.

Quick Reply