Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #141
lumpher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i've been trying to remember what this brew was called for a long time, as i wanted to make it when i saw it, but never did. thanks to whoever revived it. it's in beersmith now

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #142
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Brought this to our annual snowboard trip in the cascades and finally got to share it. Reviews were all positive. I think my favorite comment was from one of the guys who had hurt his shoulder a couple days previous saying "Its better than vicodin"

Edit- One thing I think I would change is I think I could have used more oak flavor in it. The oak was lost at this point for me with the addition I used of sour cherries.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #143
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Brought this to our annual snowboard trip in the cascades and finally got to share it. Reviews were all positive. I think my favorite comment was from one of the guys who had hurt his shoulder a couple days previous saying "Its better than vicodin"

Edit- One thing I think I would change is I think I could have used more oak flavor in it. The oak was lost at this point for me with the addition I used of sour cherries.

Oak and sour cherries sounds great!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #144
thrust
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Brewing this one today! I'll be pitching a stir-plated WLP099 starter.

I'll amend this post with my observations.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #145
slvrstang
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Brewing this one today! I'll be pitching a stir-plated WLP099 starter.

I'll amend this post with my observations.
Have you used WLP099 before? I've made this recipe three times now and used WLP001 and WLP051 with absolutely no problems. The yeast is a monster. FG have been 1.022 1.022 and 1.023.

I've heard bad things about WLP099 but haven't personally used it so let me know how it turns out!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #146
Niilo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this the first week of February. I did a partial mash due to limited space. I wanted to boost it up a bit so I did 15lbs of light DME and added .5lbs Black Patent (only because it was a bit light due to the DME). I used a 1/4 gallon starter of WLP099 and 2 packs of US-05. Primary for 5 weeks. Then aged it in a barrel I got from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies for an additional 6 weeks.(When I got the barrel I put 2 bottles of bourbon in it right away for about 7 weeks so I could get the bourbon barrel qualities in it). Tasted absolutely amazing when I transfered from barrel to bottling bucket! It's been bottled for almost a month now. It had some heat so I will let it sit for a while still. I did add Brown sugar a few times during Primary. I am unsure of the abv because of the brown sugar additions and what the bourbon in the barrel contributed. OG - 1.146 FG - 1.030 = 15.2% + brown sugar and bourbon. I will crack one this weekend to see how it is.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #147
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo
I brewed this the first week of February. I did a partial mash due to limited space. I wanted to boost it up a bit so I did 15lbs of light DME and added .5lbs Black Patent (only because it was a bit light due to the DME). I used a 1/4 gallon starter of WLP099 and 2 packs of US-05. Primary for 5 weeks. Then aged it in a barrel I got from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies for an additional 6 weeks.(When I got the barrel I put 2 bottles of bourbon in it right away for about 7 weeks so I could get the bourbon barrel qualities in it). Tasted absolutely amazing when I transfered from barrel to bottling bucket! It's been bottled for almost a month now. It had some heat so I will let it sit for a while still. I did add Brown sugar a few times during Primary. I am unsure of the abv because of the brown sugar additions and what the bourbon in the barrel contributed. OG - 1.146 FG - 1.030 = 15.2% + brown sugar and bourbon. I will crack one this weekend to see how it is.
Sounds awesome. Keep us posted.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #148
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks for the recipe. Grain is getting picked up Tuesday and I can't. Gonna pitch onto a wlp007 cake as soon as my amber is done....Psyched.....I'm defiantly going to lay this down on some oak....

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #149
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Decided to try without a blowoff....yea bad idea. I should have listened. My LHBS was out of fermcap This shot off and sprayed the ceiling and the walls.....fermenting like a beast though...and smells terrific

Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #150
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Probably brewing this Labor Day weekend. Lots of horror stories about blowoff and losing a lot to blowoff. I plan on a 5 gal batch. Pitching onto a Pacman yeast cake. Should I split the 5 gal batch into 2 buckets to ferment? Think I'll be OK in a 6.5 gal bucket with blowoff (only about 1/2 inch ID)? I was thinking I might split into two 2.5 gal batches to Primary and then combine them in carboy for Secondary. Thoughts? Is it overkill and will I be OK with 5 gal in 6.5 gal bucket?

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Quick Reply