Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #101
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'll say it's balanced. I just drank my last sample bottle tonight I finished brewing this up in Feb so at 5 months it still has an noticeable alcohol flavor but it's mellowed BIGTIME. I have two cases of it for holiday festivities at my parents basement.

Now mine was a DME based batch with all the specialty grains my first go around. I'm waiting for the fall months to do another batch of all grain this go around. I'm thinking I'm going to split the batch and oak one of the halves.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Last edited by smokinghole; 07-21-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #102
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

About to make a starter for this with WLP007.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #103
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've decided that this will be the beer that I plan on aging a year for my wedding on 9/10/11

With my system I've been averaging at about 68% efficiency...can anyone else who has brewed this chime in with what sort of drop I might expect? The biggest beer I've brewed yet is my belgian tripel that's in the secondary right now that started at 1.082 prior to adding any candi sugar (added the sugar in the primary during fermentation). This was a 2 hour boil (planned on 90 minute but overshot my pre-boil volume) and put my brewhouse efficiency at 69%.

I was shocked that my efficiency was so high on a high gravity beer (primarily due to the 2 hour boil I'm sure), but I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice

I also plan to throw this onto a yeast cake of notty that I have a brown ale sitting on now. I'll keep the post updated if it stalls out at a high gravity and I'm forced to pitch a more attenuative yeast.

I guess it's fate that I've got 6oz of Columbus in my freezer, eh? Looks like with repitching and having the hops on hand, I can brew this one up for just under 40 bucks!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #104
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Bought my ingredients for this today, should be making it tomorrow. This will be my first big beer. I plan on oaking this and adding a very small amount of cherries in the secondary.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #105
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The plan is to brew this tomrrow. My 2 gallon starter is ready!

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/
mbarrows Likes This 
Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #106
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Just bottled ours today after 3+ months in secondary. Still tasted good, though a little thin and Waaaaay dominated by alcohol. Can't wait to crack these come Christmas-time... Should be a tasty little warmer.

Now I just need to research what the next year-wait beer we'll brew is gonna be, so we can make it while we enjoy this one......(any thots? I'm becoming more interested in soured ales. Not too sure about the brew buddies tho)

~M~

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #107
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Made a little footage of the process from yesterday. Feel free to laugh at my ghetto brew in a bag method

brewday

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #108
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm looking into doing this again with some customized tweaks. I think I might try and split the batch of grain and do two BIAB mashes. I'm replacing some of the malt with real dark jaggery and will probably let it age with oak cubes for 5-6 months.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #109
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Made a little footage of the process from yesterday. Feel free to laugh at my ghetto brew in a bag method

brewday
I am inspired by your method, great job!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #110
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I subscribed to this thread a long, long time ago, and people were having trouble finding roasted rye (myself included), but I don't remember if issue was ever resolved. Curious, I decided to look again. Went to Midwest Supply's website and found THIS. They call it 'Crystal Rye,' and comes in around 80-100 SRM. Is this the same thing? Similar? Close enough?

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Quick Reply