Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Dark Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #51
WhoDey78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm going to use this recipe as a base and try a BIAB on Monday. I'm also going to secondary over cherries. I'll repost on how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #52
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #53
darthbooger
Recipes 

Okay so here's what I have got so far, the 9th of July I started this batch, I used 1lb of lactose and converted some to liquid extract... I had a starting gravity of about 1.059 one week later it is at 1.020, I am new to beer, and am curious whether to transfer this to a secondary or just bottle it from the bucket im using right now? I am planning on bottling in two or three more days that will be 10 days in primary. I wanted to transfer to new vessel to minimize the sludge at the bottom... I am also curious if this should be a high medium or low carbonation, im using the tablets for the bottles...

Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
darthbooger
Recipes 

By converted to liquid extract I mean the majority grain, i posted earlier about what I did differently...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #55
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Brewed this yesterday as a BIAB. I upped the grain a little (25%) due to a less efficient mash process and wound up with an OG of 1.052. It's bubbling away now and I'll be adding 3 lbs of cherry purée in a couple weeks.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #56
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Fermented my BIAB of this recipe for two weeks and transferred to secondary with three pounds (two quarts) of cherry purée. Let it sit another week and bottled. I tried one after being bottled for only five days and felt the chocolate flavor was good, but the cherry was essentially nonexistent. Also, the beer wasn't as full bodied as I was going for, but that was expected with my relatively low OG.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #57
foremoler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just recently bottled a beer based on this recipe! I'm calling it a blackberry chocolate stout, as I added something like 5 or 6 lbs of fresh picked blackberries. I live in Bellingham, wa and blackberries grow like crazy here so I picked a bunch, boiled them, cooled, added them to the secondary for a couple of days, and re-racked a couple of times over the next few weeks, and bottled conditioned. It turned out great! Thanks Barleywater!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #58
vidaadr
Recipes 

maybe a stupid question but if im brewing a 10 gallon batch of this should i double up on the lactose?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #59
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Yes.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #60
freefallnick
Recipes 

I brewed this on saturday 11/5, brewed it to the recipe in the original post on the first page, post boil gravity after adding lactose and cocoa powder was 1.053

Used dutch processed cocoa powder from this local company, expensive stuff, we tried to mix it with some warm milk for hot chocolate but it wasn't sweet at all and we had to add powdered sugar to make the hot chocolate drinkable, is this normal? The wort and krausen had/have a very nice dark chocolatey color.

Quick Reply