Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Dark Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
carrotmalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
carrotmalt, how did it turn out?
Well, I wish I could report back better results, but my first sweet stout didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I decided to add the full pound of lactose even though my attenuation sucked. I added it along with a half oz of chocolate flavoring extract when I transferred it to the keg. The lactose really didn't mix well at all. I added it to maybe 12 oz of the beer and heated it to 180ish degrees for 15 minutes, then cooled and racked on top of it. The first few pints were ridiculously sweet and had quite a bit of lactose in the bottom of the glass. Now, it's still a bit too sweet for my liking, but not nearly like it was early on.

My biggest complaint is the carbonation and head, or lack there of. I'm force carbing this and a pale ale I made with the same tank and guage. I've got it set to 10 psi with one line breaking into two with a "T" connector. The pale ale is perfectly carbed, but the stout just doesn't seem to have hardly any carbonation to it (over 3 weeks later). It has literally no head on it whatsoever, while the pale ale has a nice lacy foam to it.

Has anybody experienced this? I don't know if the gravity is just too high or what, but it really tastes like flat beer. If I had another keg available I might rack it off of the lactose sediment that I'm sure is sitting on the bottom, but no dice. As it is, the only way it's really even drinkable is to mix it with the pale ale at about 20% of the pale. This adds a little bitterness and makes it seem more carbonated with a little bit of head.

The flavor is fine I suppose, but if I do it again, I'll use 1/2 the lactose and not back off the IBUs. Any one have some advise for how to mow through 5 gallons of really sweet flat beer so I can free up that keg for something more drinkable?

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Good Recipe

I followed this recipe and made some really good beer. Used the full pound of lactose and backed the IBU's off a tad. Natural conditioned and served on cask good carbonation and good head. Used a 1/3 of a cup of dry light extract for carbing. Thank You!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
CigarNinja
Recipes 

Sorry, but noob question here that is just not that clear to me:

First, I am assuming you add the milk sugar at bottleing. It was not specified, and that is what carrotmalt did. Is that the correct procedure?

Second, if you are bottling this and not kegging it, wouldn't that amount of sugar lead to potential overcarbonation? Or does that type of sugar not get transformed similar to other types? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
racin_ny

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hey Cig!

Hey Cig,
I added the lactose and chocolate at the end of the boil after I turned the flame off. Lactose is a non fermentable in beer which leads to a sweetness and a thicker mouth feel of the beer. Quote from wikipedia

Quote:
Lactose is little fermented by baker's yeast and during brewing, which may be used to advantage.[1] Lactose is used in stout beers rarely to sweeten the beer and is non-fermentable in beer.
Take Care

Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've read of people adding it at various times and that it doesn't make much difference. That being said, I really wish I had just added it toward the end of the boil. It would have been much easier, and I'm sure it would have mixed in better.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
racin_ny

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Act II

I made this again today. I serve it on cask and the first one was a big hit. I can only hope it comes out as good as the first attempt!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #17
surfnturf
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe, and added a full pound of lactose at 15min remaining in boil and backed off on the IBUs in an attempt to duplicate Young's. My mash temps were a bit high and I ended up with a FG of 1.032 after 3 weeks in primary. Tasted pretty good at bottling - hope to report back in a few weeks to see how it turned out. On the bright side, I've got an apfelwein in the primary and I think the combination of the 2 will make for a rippin good black velvet!

Happy to report that after only a week in the bottle this is already pretty darn good tasting brew. Served some to a friend that got me into homebrewing and he gave a strong approval. Thanks for a great recipe!!

Last edited by surfnturf; 08-10-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: update

Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Curious there BarleyWater,
What category did you enter this puppy for your BJCP competition ? 13 A,B,or E
Your sheet does not say.
Congrats BTW

Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #19
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I always add my lactose to the boil, as it helps to dissolve better. If you add it to the secondary, boil it in a little water to dissolve so you wont be stuck with Carrotmalt's problem. I'm considering doing a batch of this and adding this really good chai powder to half and see what happens. I'm kinda excited.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
My biggest complaint is the carbonation and head, or lack there of.
I just re-read my earlier post, and for what it's worth, the head did finally come around after just over a month on CO2. Don't know why it took so long, but it did have a nice creamy head in the end.

Quick Reply