Oatmeal Stout Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
68oF @ 5 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
68oF @ 14 days
Grains:
9 lbs. Maris Otter British 2-row (3.0-L)
2.5 lb. roasted flaked oats (2.0-L )*
3/4 lb. Carafa III (475-L )
1/2 lb. CaraMunich (57-L)
4 oz. Belgian chocolate (425-L )

Hops:
.5 oz. Columbus [14.0% AAU] (60 mins.)
.25 oz. Perle [6.0% AAU] (30 mins.)
.25 oz. Perle [6.0% AAU] (10 mins.)

Fining agent:
Irish Moss (15 mins.)

Misc. Flavorings:
1/2 lb. lactose powder (20 mins.)

* At least a day prior to brewing, roast the flaked oats in a 300oF oven for ~30-45 mins. with the door ajar. Cool in a paper bag overnight.

Mash grains in ~5.5 gallons water at 156oF for 60 minutes. Recirculate until clear. Sparge with ~7gallons of 170o F water. Add hops, dextrose powder and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~70o F and pitch yeast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the 1980’s actor Wilford Brimley did a lot of ads for Quaker oatmeal. He also played the grandfather in a house full of grandkids on an NBC television show, appropriately titled Our House.

He has always played cranky, cantankerous old men. And it always seemed to me that he, like W.C. Fields, would be irritated with kids. Any kids. So, this recipe is an homage to Wilford. It combines milk stout and oatmeal stout elements. I've always pictured him walking around a house full of kids barking out, "You kids shut the hell up and eat your damned oatmeal, ya damn kids!"

cheezydemon said:
The name is eye catching. Brewed this one before I guess? How is it?

Yes, it was quite good. Smooth, full and with a nice balance b/w sweet and roasty. I think the Carafa III helps keep it from being too much of a 'roast bomb'.

I first did it back in 2005 and have tweaked it 3-4 times since. I settled on the above grains, hops and mash schedule, but I've subbed the yeast with the above, White Labs WLP001 and their WLP004 Irish Ale and found only a very slight difference, tastewise. I usually just go with whichever of those three I have on hand. I'd also think you could sub Northern Brewer or Chinook for the Perle.

I think I'll try this as my next brew (The wife likes sweeter brews and ones that you can almost chew) Have you done any modifications to it recently?

Is this brew generally best if aged for several months? I imagine with the amount of grain that it would age well. I'll be using WYeast 1084 since that's fast becoming my house strain (I have pretty hard water, so darker beers are my thing).

Since this is for my wife will there be any issues if I underhop this a bit?

eulipion2 said:
For a five gallon batch, it looks like you'd end up with at least 10 gallons post-mash. Is this correct? Then boil down to 5?
More like ~8gals. down to just a bit over 5 gals.

eulipion2 said:
Have you done any modifications to it recently?
Nope. I brewed this last January and decided to use the Carafa III dehusked malt and it really turned out great. What you see here is the version I'm sticking with - no more modifications.

You can underhop if you want. But IMHO, there is no hop flavor or aroma that stands out. I didn't age it very long, but I suppose you could and it would be just fine. I put my last batch on CO2 a month ago and have been enjoying it for the last three weeks or so.

This version has been such a big hit with SWMBO, my friends and me that I plan to enter it in a local BJCP-sanctioned competition at the end of this month.

1. Anyone brew this recently?
2. How did it fair at the competition?
3. Would this be a good candidate for a coffee addition?

1. Anyone brew this recently?
2. How did it fair at the competition?
3. Would this be a good candidate for a coffee addition?
Not since last January. My fiancee, friends and I drank it so quick - plus I got so busy - I never entered it in any competitions!!!:eek: I think coffee would be a great addition. How much? IDK, maybe a cup in secondary?

I plan to brew it again in late September.

brimley.jpg

I enered this in BS and got far different IBU/s color. I had to manual add the chocolate though. Do you use beersmith and do you have a profile for it?

EDIT: Ooppps forgot the oats got roasted.

Do you use beersmith and do you have a profile for it?
I just started using it ~5 months ago. I used to use ProMash and the number in the OP were derived using it. I can't recall which I used last time I made this. I'll look when I get home.

Dude, Yuri I totally had that idea for my next oatmeal stout label, I had been thinking how the hell I could make the quaker oatmeal dude look evil for some time and you hit it right on the head of the nail!

Turns out I did use BeerSmith last time I brewed this! The BeerSmith file is attached. The OG, IBU and color is, indeed different, but it won't let me edit the originally posted recipe. Should be 1.077, 38.8 and 38.0, respectively. Last time I brewed this, my efficiency was off and I came in at 1.066. I liked it just fine and might tune it to hit 1.065-1.068 every time.

View attachment Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout.bsm

Finally brewed this one today! Overshot my mash temp to 158, but got it down to 156 quickly. Should be okay. OG 1.064, which isn't what Rhoobarb had, but is higher than what StrangeBrew told me I'd get (1.062). I only sparged with about 3.5 gallons, so I probably could have gotten better efficiency, but I didn't want to risk tannin extraction.

I plan on fermenting BrewPastor's Dark Night of the Soul on top of this one's yeast cake. Hopefully my S-05 is viable. Added it around 1 PM, but so far no noticeable activity.

I entered this into my club's annual Holiday Beer/Food match. Scored third for best beer, and second for best match (paired with a chocolate hazelnut tart from Giada Di Laurentiis's Everyday Italian)!!! Got many compliments!

I entered this into my club's annual Holiday Beer/Food match. Scored third for best beer, and second for best match (paired with a chocolate hazelnut tart from Giada Di Laurentiis's Everyday Italian)!!! Got many compliments!
Just saw this today! Wow, that is so cool!:ban: Glad it worked for you.

I just felt the need to revive this one with a bump. Had a bottle of New Holland's "The Poet" and it tasted, to me anyway, exactly like this!

Just felt it deserved better than page 4!

After seeing this label and laughing at the name this has to get made ;)

LOL brought to you by DIABEETUS
I just caught that and woke up my own kids because I was laughing.

Misc. Flavorings:
1/2 lb. lactose powder (20 mins.)

* At least a day prior to brewing, roast the flaked oats in a 300oF oven for ~30-45 mins. with the door ajar. Cool in a paper bag overnight.

Mash grains in ~5.5 gallons water at 156oF for 60 minutes. Recirculate until clear. Sparge with ~7gallons of 170o F water. Add hops, dextrose powder and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~70o F and pitch yeast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the 1980’s actor Wilford Brimley did a lot of ads for Quaker oatmeal. He also played the grandfather in a house full of grandkids on an NBC television show, appropriately titled Our House.

He has always played cranky, cantankerous old men. And it always seemed to me that he, like W.C. Fields, would be irritated with kids. Any kids. So, this recipe is an homage to Wilford. It combines milk stout and oatmeal stout elements. I've always pictured him walking around a house full of kids barking out, "You kids shut the hell up and eat your damned oatmeal, ya damn kids!"

I noticed that this calls out 2 different things. Anyone know which is right?

Spoke with the LHBS today, they agreed.
I still walked out of the store without it. They said I ccan add it when I keg though.

I'll brewing this up just after Thanksgiving. I'm gonna lager it (with 34/70) because I will have a couple other lagers going at the same time, and because I will have a yeast cake waiting to get busy. I'll post pics in March when it's done.

Mash grains in ~5.5 gallons water at 156oF for 60 minutes.
I like your recipe and would like to try brewing it. However, I only have a five gallon mash tun. Any advice on scaling your recipe down? Do I need to have a 0.4 gal.H2O/lb ratio for the mash?

This looks delicious and I'm designating it as my next brew. Any tips or advice would be cool as this will be my first non-kit oatmeal

Cheers

Man, that seems like alot of sparge water! You guys that have made this, did you use this much? Im also curious about the S-05.

Also, after asking for oats to be separate the beer store guys milled my grains and put the oats on top of them. I took them, and now have to find a way to sift them off the top to roast them separate without barbecuing the rest of the grains. Hmmmmmmm, we'll see

BWAHAHAH! Love the Brimley pic. brought to you by diabeetus!

This sounds delicious, and will probably make it to our short list for our first stout.

This turned out great. Thanks. It's only been in the bottle for 4 days.

I used lager yeast (S-23). Fermented at 50F for 2 weeks and lagered for 3 weeks. This might seem out of the ordinary for an ale, but I'm brewing for competition and thought this would make a winner. We'll see... I made hop substitutions, but nothing that would override the strong malt character of this beer.

Nose of dark roast and some chocolate.

Bitterness is nicely balanced with the sweetness from the chocolate malt. Mouthfeel is fairly thick due to the lactose and oatmeal. Dark as night.

Nice lacing on glass. Long-lasting dark tan head of small, creamy bubbles.

oatmeal_stout3.JPG

Bout to brew this. 5.5g sounds like a real thin mash. I usually use 1.25 qts/lb but this runs somewhere around 1.7

And the sparge at 7 gallons? Anybody have any thoughts about these water amounts? Sounds like it turned out pretty well but I'm just curious because it's different than any beer I've done

Bout to brew this. 5.5g sounds like a real thin mash. I usually use 1.25 qts/lb but this runs somewhere around 1.7

And the sparge at 7 gallons? Anybody have any thoughts about these water amounts? Sounds like it turned out pretty well but I'm just curious because it's different than any beer I've done
I don't know about the mash, but I suspect that Rhoobarb uses such a large sparge volume just because he'll boil off that much. Adjust according to your equipment.

Gotcha. Warming 5 gallons mash water now and I plan on sparging with 3.5 to get down to a 5g batch. Should be pretty close

Back