Originally Posted by seabass07
If you want something like the southern tier, you'll need a ton more crystal than what I'm using as well as a ton more vanilla. This is tame in comparison.
The lactose isn't very sweet. When you caramelize it, it adds character, but not really sweetness.
My initial start was ST CB but like you I planned on changing it a little. I used all British malt and added a little carafa 2 to darken it. My hope is to get more of a biscuity chocolate taste, think vanilla ice cream sandwich.
I caramelized the lactose last night, I added 1 cup to two pounds of lactose. The water was immediately absorbed by the lactose, there wasn't even enough to stir it, just like wet sand. I added another cup and there was a little too much. 1.5 cups might have worked better. Cookers at medium low for about 1.5 hours covered till the lactose was a deep dark amber (223 degrees) but the water never evaporated. At that point I took off the cover and cooked another 30-40 minutes. The temp increased to 226 and the lactose got much darker. A taste test showed I had the flavors I was looking for but unlike sugar the temp never got up to the 280 I was expecting, probably due to then slight water layer on the top.
I chilled, added a little more water, reheated, stirred and added it to the primary. At time of adding All bubble activity had stopped last night (about 80hrs in, 3.5 days ish). This morning I had bubbles again, so something must be fermentable. It also could just be the 1 tbsp of dap just getting the yeast to hit the original sugars harder. I'll post how it comes out.
One thing I did notice is the lactose didn't completely dissolve, it was still decently gritty while adding to the primary. Maybe I needed to stir more, after the initial water add, I didn't stir at all, maybe I should have.