Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Coconut Cream Stout-competition runner up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #51
dangerpony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Damn. Im in the process of brewing this right now and realized I left out the carmel 60l. How do you think it will turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #52
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerpony
Damn. Im in the process of brewing this right now and realized I left out the carmel 60l. How do you think it will turn out?
As a stout you won't have any issues lacking in color, but you will lack some of the sweetness the C60 would have brought to the recipe. Also, it may be too late now but the dark malts you only want to add in the last 10-15 minutes of the mash. If you mash the full 60 they tend to give an excessive bitterness to the beer. We only want to add these for their color and flavor, there aren't really any sugars we are looking to pull from these grains.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #53
dangerpony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
As a stout you won't have any issues lacking in color, but you will lack some of the sweetness the C60 would have brought to the recipe. Also, it may be too late now but the dark malts you only want to add in the last 10-15 minutes of the mash. If you mash the full 60 they tend to give an excessive bitterness to the beer. We only want to add these for their color and flavor, there aren't really any sugars we are looking to pull from these grains.
Yeah well I mashed all the grains at the same time, when I bought them I had them crushed at my LHBS and they were just all mixed together. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience to double check my recipes. This is only my second AG batch and I hit the adjusted OG I got from brewers friend right on the money which was 1.055, so am happy about that. Luckily I figured this wouldn't be a session beer so I only brewed up a 3.5 gallon batch.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
BrewmiesterSmith (OP) - I saw you have a keg of your CCS on tap right now, but it is the burbon edition! How did you go about doing this?!?! Did you just add a few shots to the keg? I want to make a 5 gallon batch and split it into two 2.5 gallon batches, one original recipe and the other a dark rum style. Please advise how you made your burbon addition!
I used american oak chips, soaked them in bourbon for about 2 weeks. I added the chips to the secondary for 1 week. The oaky flavor was there, but not much bourbon. So, I took a little of the oak soaked bourbon and added a little in to taste. You'll have to play with it. I pulled a growler and took it to a party where a friend of mine, who loves stouts, wouldn't stop talking about how it was the best stout he ever had. Anyway, it was a cool experiment. I'd buy a barrel if I tried it again next time. To me it left a slight aftertaste on my tastebuds doing it this way.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: Strawberry Schwarzcake, El Hefe, Pulque, Apple Pie Hard Cider
Kegged: Simcoe IPA, RyePA, Harvest Ale

Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #55
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Gotcha. I'll give it a try a few different ways. Excited to try this recipe soon!

Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 543

I put the recipe in my beersmith and cant get the IBU and SRM to match. Cant get the color above 31, anyone have the same thing happen?

Great looking recipe by the way thanks for sharing!

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #57
jackers252
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is a side by side of the Maui Brewing Company's Coconut Porter (on the left).
It's slightly darker than yours but honestly, yours tastes much better. Where the Maui has a very (and I mean very) slight hint of coconut, yours has a nice smell and not overpowering coconut taste. I much prefer your recipe.

Excuse the lack of head, it is only the second or third day on the CO2. It was great even without carbing and gets better each day. Congrats on a really nice recipe.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #58
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I also placed in the "anything goes" Bell's competition in 2012. Your stout was the one beer where I thought "I would really like to try this". I've been playing around with the idea of doing a coconut stout for a while, looking forward to trying this one!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #59
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 455 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 543

When does the coconut start to really come through?

I just bottled a Coconut Blonde where I used 1# flaked and toasted @ 15min and 2# in secondary and when I went to bottle the coconut was there after it warmed up but very faint. I had this planned for one of my next couple beers but I can't imagine the coconut coming through in a stout judging from my results with the blonde. I've read a few posts where people said it went from being muted to upfront with conditioning. But being my first coconut beer I don't know if its lacking flavor or just needs time. Interested to hear feedback as I want to get this brewed soon for an upcoming event. Thoughts?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #60
Brews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

What do you think of taking some roasted coconut and putting into a 1/2 cup of vodka for about two weeks and adding all of it to the secondary for an additional two weeks?

Quick Reply