Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Coconut Cream Stout-competition runner up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Based on the original post, he racks to secondary and then adds the coconut loose. (hence the need for the hop sock on the end of the siphon.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

thanks, racking to secondary it is and loose.

thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, loose. It's a pain in the @ss, but worth it in the end.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
FermentedTed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post
Or anyone?
Based on the recipe it's added in the secondary. Whenever I've done secondary additions, I usually just put the addition in the secondary first and rack the beer on top. I do like the idea of using the bag, though, in response to the comment about difficulty in racking to keg. Anyone see any drawbacks to throwing the coconut in a steralized hop bag?

absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedTed View Post
Based on the recipe it's added in the secondary. Whenever I've done secondary additions, I usually just put the addition in the secondary first and rack the beer on top. I do like the idea of using the bag, though, in response to the comment about difficulty in racking to keg. Anyone see any drawbacks to throwing the coconut in a steralized hop bag?
Thats generally how I've been doing it lately. However, I like the bag idea. The coconut doesn't seem to soak up much of the beer like hops do. Maybe worth a shot. Just weight it down somehow. I'm going to start doing this with dry-hopping and adding an extra 10% hops. Not sure if you'd need add more coconut doing it this way. Couldn't hurt. If it's not as coconutty as you'd like, just add a splash of Malibu rum

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Couple of things anyone. Never made a stout before and was wondering if this can be done in a one gallon batch just incase it all goes tits up, or is that a stupid question.
Everything im doing is in 1 gal batches until I get the hang of brewing..
Also looking at a chocolate milk stout they suggest soaking the nibs in vodka for a few days, would that work for the coconut? Bag, soak then bung it all in the secondary..

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Stouts are amazingly forgiving. I wouldn't worry too much about messing it up. Just follow the recipe and use sanitary practices. 1 gallon doesn't get you much beer. It would be less than 8 pints since you'll have less beer from racking. I typically brew no less than 5 gallons. I've got about 40 gallons of variety brewing away in fermenters now.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
mbar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Do you think adding coffee to this recipe would overwhelm the coconut?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedTed View Post
I tried using a hop bag and it was WAY easier to rack. I upped the coconut to 12 oz. It turned out great and I was left with a full volume...no beer loss due to messy loose coconut shavings.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I added this to the original post too, but this beer was just served at the NHC in Philly, where I was informed that Charlie Papazian drank and "loved" this beer.

People Like This 

Quick Reply