Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Coconut Cream Stout-competition runner up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
goo-gone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Alright, found some unsweetened at a local "ethnic" store which was super cheap. But I have a question before I finish this. What's the point of toasting the coconut? Does it bring out flavor or break it down?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
BrewmeisterSmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo-gone View Post
Alright, found some unsweetened at a local "ethnic" store which was super cheap. But I have a question before I finish this. What's the point of toasting the coconut? Does it bring out flavor or break it down?
I think toasted vs un-toasted taste totally different. Taste some of the raw shavings, then try some of the toasted. I think toasting definitely changes the flavor. Monitor it when in the oven and give it a stir once or twice. It can start to over-toast if you're not careful. I set off the smoke detectors the first time I tried it. You'll get some nice aroma from the toasted coconut too.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: Strawberry Schwarzcake, El Hefe, Pulque, Apple Pie Hard Cider
Kegged: Simcoe IPA, RyePA, Harvest Ale

Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
BrewmeisterSmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This just took 1st place at my local homebrew club, the Kalamazoo Libation Organization of Brewers (KLOB). There were about 25 entries. The criteria was anything and everything. Folks could submit multiple entries and we had stouts, IPAs, wheat beers, cream ales, smoked scotch ales, jalapeno ales, etc. 3rd place had 22 votes, 2nd place had 33 votes, mine had 45 votes!!

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

WSB-MBC Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
fireslayer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good. Might have to give it a try.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi all
I am totally and utterly green at this brewing malarkey with only ciders, a cheap wine kit and a weird foul tasting experiment under my belt , but my real love is stout.
I've come across 2 recipes on here.
Coconut cream
Chocolate milk
These I dream of making but don't get all this grain boiling-soaking stuff.
What need is a lamens guide so I can follow these recipes
Or
Can I get a cheap stout kit and add additional ingredients to make one of the above to cut out most of the technical bits?
Also could I cross the 2 and make a chocolate coconut cream stout?!! This sounds real good.
Any help would MOST appreciated
Tia

Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
BrewmeisterSmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
Hi all
I am totally and utterly green at this brewing malarkey with only ciders, a cheap wine kit and a weird foul tasting experiment under my belt , but my real love is stout.
I've come across 2 recipes on here.
Coconut cream
Chocolate milk
These I dream of making but don't get all this grain boiling-soaking stuff.
What need is a lamens guide so I can follow these recipes
Or
Can I get a cheap stout kit and add additional ingredients to make one of the above to cut out most of the technical bits?
Also could I cross the 2 and make a chocolate coconut cream stout?!! This sounds real good.
Any help would MOST appreciated
Tia

Stouts are very forgiving and hide flaws well due to its roasty nature. One of the biggest things that I have found that impacts taste is water quality. Try using spring water or run your tap water through a .5 micron charcoal filter (what I do). Just dont do what a lot of beginners do and over look this key ingredient. If your water has chlorine in it, you have to filter it out. Otherwise your beer will taste like medical supplies.

Making a hybrid sounds fun. If you do it, post back and let us know the results. There's really nothing to this brewing stuff. For extract, start with 7 gallons of water if you can. (If not try half that then top off with water when done) Then heat the water to 150-165ish. Then steep the grains for 20 or 30 minutes in that temp range without going over 170 degrees. Remove the grain bag and bring to a boil. Add extract. Bring back to a boil. Start the countdown timer at 60 minutes. Add hops according to the recipe schedule. Once your 60 minutes is up, kill the flame and cool with a wort chiller down to about 70 degree. Dump in some WLP001 or US05 or even a stout yeast. Your preference. Stir the crap out of it to aerate and put on your lid and airlock and your done. Ferment according to the yeast packet recommendations. I like 65-68 degrees for most. Wait 2-3 weeks then bottle or keg. I like to secondary for 1 week if I'm bottling. That way I get less yeast in the bottle. Hopefully this helps. Just follow this guide and you'll be happy with the results.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
bobbyb619
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want to do this in extract form. Even with a light colored extract this comes out as a very very dark beer when I put it in beer alchemy. Is it supposed to be a super dark beer?. If it is fine, I just want a really good tasting beer.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
BrewmeisterSmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Its a stout. Really dark, black even, is suitable to the style.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
loudgonzo
Recipes 

BrewmeisterSmith, do you rack to a secondary, and then add the coconut there, or do you add the coconut to the primary? Also, do you add the coconut loose, or in a bag?

thanks,
lg

Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Or anyone?

Quick Reply