Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #31
Sheldon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I am doing an oatmeal stout tomorrow and I was thinking about tossing about 5 oz of ground coffee (in a bag) into the boil for the last 10 minutes. Is there a reason not to do this vs cold coffee in the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #32
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeldon View Post
I am doing an oatmeal stout tomorrow and I was thinking about tossing about 5 oz of ground coffee (in a bag) into the boil for the last 10 minutes. Is there a reason not to do this vs cold coffee in the secondary?
Sheeldon - Please see the post just prior to yours.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

gracias, i read it the first time, but obviously it went over my head.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #34
Kurtamous
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentEd View Post
Glad you like it. I do a similar version of this without the coffee and increase the vanilla as well.
Hey mate, this looks tasty!

I have a friend that asked if I could brew him an "extra porter"; hes all about the chocolate but hes not a fan of the coffee flavors. I suppose I was curious how the brew you made was without the coffee? I've been itching to use the chocolate nibs for some time. also, could I get away with tossing in some flaked oats? or would it be too creamy

Last edited by Kurtamous; 02-04-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #35
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtamous View Post
Hey mate, this looks tasty!

I have a friend that asked if I could brew him an "extra porter"; hes all about the chocolate but hes not a fan of the coffee flavors. I suppose I was curious how the brew you made was without the coffee? I've been itching to use the chocolate nibs for some time. also, could I get away with tossing in some flaked oats? or would it be too creamy
I've probably brewed this recipe more often without the coffee because both coffee drinkers and non-coffee drinkers love it that way. It should work well in your porter too, along with the oats. If you want to add another dimension, use toasted oats instead.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Fermented, What kind of coffee did you use and adding the coffee to bottling, did it not introduce contaminants because of the alcohol content?

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKiRkLeS View Post
Fermented, What kind of coffee did you use and adding the coffee to bottling, did it not introduce contaminants because of the alcohol content?
The first time I made this I used Dunkin Donuts coffee. After that I think I used 8 O'Clock. Both turned out well. I always tell people to use whatever coffee they like to drink, and that usually works.
No worries on adding cold brewed coffee. Sanitize everything you use to make it and you should be fine. You are adding 'contaminants' by using nibs and coffee but hey are low level and manageable, provided your sanitation has been good throughout the process. This beer does well aging for a month or so. It's at it's peak within the next three months and then slowly drops from there.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oook, gotcha. I just finished a Brown ale, a coffee stout is next. I've been wanting to do something with coffee from a local roastery. I'll come back with updates - the recipe looks great.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #39
adc123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a close variant of this: less spec grains, less nib, no vanilla, probably more effective coffee. My vanilla beans smelled like plastic, so I didn't use them. Half the bottles got "plain" ie no coffee, half got quite a bit of cold-brewed, pasteurized, coffee. I had some plain that isn't carbonated yet; wow, so balanced. The nibs are coming through great. I am letting these babies condition to even out all the flavors. Poised to be the best beer ive brewed to date! Only wish some of the grist was roasted barley, give the nibs a bit of a roasted edge without the coffee to make it more "stouty."

Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #40
vidaadr
Recipes 

when did you add the coffee? I plan to bottle this beer when would be a good time to add the cofee?

Quick Reply