Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My god does this sound good. What would be the closest commercial beer to this to try? Youngs Dble Choc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
groosh
Recipes 

Bottled yesterday and the small taste I had was fantastic.

I deviated slightly from the recipe as published, I used all willamette hops and about 6-7 vanilla beans.

This is definitely going to be brewed again

Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade E View Post
My god does this sound good. What would be the closest commercial beer to this to try? Youngs Dble Choc?
Personally I've not run across any commercial beer close to this. No doubt there are similar brews out there. I just don't know where to tell you to look.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #24
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groosh View Post

I deviated slightly from the recipe as published, I used all willamette hops and about 6-7 vanilla beans.

Glad you like it. I do a similar version of this without the coffee and increase the vanilla as well.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #25
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by groosh View Post

Holy beans, brewman! That's a lot of vanilla lol.

Requesting a picture of this beer. Sounds good to brew, but I'm still a little weary.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
Brandx40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anyone aged this one? If not I recommend it. I have a few bottles laying around and it is so good after about 3 months! It smooths out a lot and the flavors sort of get along better. I'm sad I don't have much left.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandx40 View Post
Good to know.
Hey anyone have a pic of this brew? I ask because mine is now in 2ndary and it looks and tates good its just that its a little lighter than I expected. I mean its stout-ish but more very dark brown-black instead of just black. Just curious
I'm not typically one to nitpick style guidelines, but this recipe really looks more like a chocolate coffee porter than a stout to me. It has some dark malts but no heavily roasted grains (except for the carafa which has had it's "roast" character removed). To me, that makes this a porter, and it may be why it's dark brown instead of black. That said, this looks like a good beer either way. cheers!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think this will be my next brew for February. I'm a little scared of the Kolsch yeast for this style so I've decided to go with Wyeast 1099 of which I will have a few mason jars. According to Wyeast, it's suppose to do well for a sweet stout. Due to the lower attenuation of this particular strand, I will skip the lactose. The predicted final gravity without the lactose is 1.021 to 1.024 which is sweet enough for my taste.

I have a question regarding the vanilla bean and the coffee. Is there anything special you do to the vanilla bean (like opening up to get the seeds out) or any special sanitary steps to reduce chances of infection? Or do you just dump the whole dried bean in the beer as is? And same for the coffee. Do you boil it before adding to the beer or do you add it cold? Thanks in advanced.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
groosh
Recipes 

Hey Mithion,

What I did and what seems like the consensus was cold brew the coffee which in my case was to take some coffee (ground to size for a french press) put it in my french press, add cold water and put it in the fridge overnight. Then I pressed it and added it.

For the vanilla beans I think it is pretty important that you slice them open and scrape (and add) the insides. I also added the bean bits in addition to the guts. For sanitizing the beans I used some vodka (which I made into a white russian.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've brewed this beer many times and there is no reason to be concerned about using the Kolsch yeast. However, using the 1099 that you already have is a wise and frugal move.

I agree with groosh about the coffee. The key is to cold brew it. You can use a French press to filter it and then add it to the secondary. Boiling it will bring out a bitterness that you likely don't want.

I also agree about the vanilla bean, although you should only use enough vodka to aid in the extraction of the vanilla oils - say slightly more than enough to cover the bean pieces at the bottom of a shot glass. Too much vodka tends to add alcohol heat and dry this beer out. After all, it's a sweet stout.

Quick Reply